Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Field

Right Field

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen who is expected to start in Right Field on Opening day and going forward? Is it going to be Doumit when he isn't catching? Is it going to be Plouffe?

How do you expect the split to work between Doumit, Plouffe, Revere and what would you do if you were Gardy?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Doumit's RF time is going to decrease now, I believe, due to 2 catchers out there. I'd like to see more Doumit at bats than Revere and Plouffe, but expect those 2 to get quite a bit of PT now.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's been set in stone, but it should be Plouffe. With the outfielders we have I could see some rotating going on.
    Last edited by Gernzy; 04-02-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    I bent my wookie...

Gardenhire has never been big on lefty/righty platoons, but I would like to see Doumit/Revere vs right handers and Plouffe vs lefties in Right Field.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I have to agree with Gleeman,and a number of posters here. The bench is deeper this year, which doesn't take much. And it is more flexible. That,I think, will
    be important. And it's welcome. It will help having more options in RF.

While I loved having Thome around, he was limited to what contributions he could make. Nishioka was too weak w/the bat, ditto Butera.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It hasn't been announced, but I think the vast majority of the time, it's going to be Doumit. I'd certainly bet it will be him on Opening Day.

When Mauer is catching, it'll mostly be Doumit. Versus tough left-handers, Plouffe could be there.
    When Mauer isn't catching, it's harder to say. It could be Parmelee, and probably should be Parmelee, but I'm not sure Gardy will want to move him around too much given he'll be adjusting to hitting in the majors. That's probably when Revere/Plouffe would have their best chance to find some time out there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm gonna guess that initially, they'll try and keep Doumit in the lineup as much as possible, so when he isn't catching, he'll be in RF. When he is catching, I'd look for Parmalee in RF, with either Mauer or Morneau at 1b.

It seems like they are leaning towards Plouffe being a super utility bench guy for now. His bat isn't quite strong enough to justify keeping it in the lineup everyday, and his defense is passable, but there isn't any one position he's good enough at to bump anyone else out for a starting slot.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the last few ST games are any indication RF (and 1B) will be revolving doors:
    Parmelee/Plouffe/Revere/Doumit RF
    Hughes/Parmelee/Burroughs/Mauer (occasionally)/Morneau (NL games) 1B

I think that Parmelee will be the starter at RF and Hughes at 1B for the opening day with Doumit on the bench.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,841 Times in 1,075 Posts
    It'll come down to who's hitting. I don't think Parmalee will spend much time out there unless Morneau takes over 1st again on a daily basis and I don't really expect that to happen. Revere's role should be as the true 4th outfielder. I think it will end up being mostly Doumit/Plouffe platoon.

Late Game Def. Subs

Who is better defensively where?

On days where the outfield is Willingham-Span-Doumit how many late inning defensive subs do we make to be as good defensively in the outfield as possible?

What i'm really asking is Plouffe better in RF than Doumit and will Gardy put Revere in LF for Willingham late in games? Will Gardy be willing to make those two moves to get better defense in the OF late in games?

IF Morneau takes over 1B and Parmelee isn't hitting at the ML level, Parmelee will be headed back to Rochester and one of the C's will be getting called up.

Two things that I do NOT think will be happening on a regular basis are Revere in RF or Hughes at 1B. Neither of those make any sense to me, defensively OR offensively.

Something happened in the course of Spring Training regarding Morneau and Gardy's view of his situation. Gardy really seemed to believe that if Morneau was symptom-free (which, apparently he has been), that he would be the Opening Day 1B. I think Morneau's ST went about as well as could be expected, yet he's now the DH, which means Parmalee has to get a tryout at 1B. I think the situation they're hoping for is that Parmalee slides into that spot and puts up a Mark Trumbo-like season, though that's probably too much to expect of his power. Parmalee and Plouffe are probably the two best "upside" bats of the guys currently vying for those positions, however, so I think they could both get a tryout in RF.

Doumit will break down if he's used everyday, and I do think that Gardy has an unrealistic fear of the whole "losing the DH" thing, so Doumit may be a reserve player more often because of this. I don't think he's a full-time option for 1B or RF anyway, though it was a decent pickup because he insures us at multiple positions.

To me RF is Plouffe's to lose. Doumit can not play every day and stay healthy. Unless Hughes/Burroughs plays 1B regularly--Parmalee will play there--Morneau is DH except NL games. So I expect Plouffe in RF say 2/3 the time, Doumit the rest. If Plouffe doesnt work--then go with my first choice lineup: Span RF, Carroll SS, Mauer C, Morneau DH, Willingham LF, Parmalee 1b, Valencia 3b, Casilla 2B, Revere CF. I dont understand why Revere isnt starting in CF with his defense and Span in RF.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like that lineup, although I'd probably give Hughes a shot at the 2b job

I'd expect Doumit to be in there opening day against the righthander Arrieta on opening day.

For the Season:
    50% Doumit

40% Plouffe
    10% Parmalee

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Morneau DH-ing, sounds like it's going to be Ryan Doumit most of the time to start, but I'd expect a lot of Plouffe there as well to be able to keep Doumit healthy and available to Catch. Looks like Revere is going to roam whatever OF spot needs a break that day, and if a middle-infielder needs a break, Plouffe will play there too.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I think Doumit is the primary RF. I don't think there is as big of fear of him breaking down since he won't be catching every day. They also don't have to worry about losing the DH if he's in the field and needs to move to catcher. However, if you figure he's going to C 40-50 times so Mauer can stay fresh, and still need another 10-20 days off himself, that still leads to 60-70 games where we need a RF. I think Plouffe and gulp, Revere get those games.

Gardenhire is calling Plouffe his "super utility guy" and that just, to me, makes it sounds like Trevor is going to be coming off the bench more than Doumit.

I wonder if they are considering using Mauer in RF on the days he doesn't catch? A lot may depend of how Parmelee handles things at 1B. Ultimately, I am in agreement with their best outfield being Willingham LF, Revere CF, and Span RF, but Gardy doesn't seem interested in even considering it.

It's gotta be Doumit, otherwise they're not using their roster to the best possible offensive output. Plouffe and Hughes have the potential to be big league bats, but Doumit is proven. He'll be out there when Mauer starts, unless there is a tough lefty the night before a day game, since he'll be catching tomorrow. Mauer will probably get the start at first on day games after night, and Parmelee will probably be in right those days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast