Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Three-Bagger: Two Catchers, Dozier & Parmelee

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And amen to this. Don't get me wrong, I hope that Parmelee goes ape. And I hope that Dozier becomes a good middle infielder. But there is generally no connection between September call-ups and true performance the following year and definitely generally no connection between spring training games and the regular season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm with Shane, I hope that Parmelee has a great year, but I think he will see some bumps in the road and will end up splitting a lot of time with Justin, Joe and a host of others at first. I think that Carroll will have a nice year for us to the point that Carroll will have a higher average with the Twins than Dozier will have with the Red Wings. We don't have to bring up extra base hits because that won't really be a contest. I think we will all like Carroll at short after having witnessed what went on last year at that position. He will be a solid consistent glove and provide a nice bat behind Span at the top of the lineup.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Parmelee gets this promotion only as a consequence of Morneau's situation. He's not earned it, but I'm also not horrified at him getting a chance. Guys do sometimes just breakout in the bigs and at his age. We'll see... Also, very surprise but thankful that we're only carrying two catchers. Willinham is the emergency, which relieves all my worries since his actually been a position player at catcher. The bullpen is still downright scary. Hope I'm wrong, but i fear we'll give up many leads and ties in the 6-8th innings.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how you can argue that Parmalee hasn't earned it. He had a very nice spring following a very nice September which followed a nice second half in NB. I won't be surprised in the least if he ends up getting sent down due to adjustments that ML pitchers will make against him, but he's done what has been asked of him.

I think what people forget is that Chris started out very promising and the Twins tinkered quite a bit with his swing to increase his contact rate. That sapped his power for a couple of years, though it's looking like it's coming back. That's not a bad thing, and to add to it, there are plenty of decent hitters on this team that should offer him some reasonable protection as well.

I think management was right on Dozier. Unlike Parmalee, there isn't much room for him just yet. Like Parmalee, he could still use some time playing every day in Rochester, so it made more sense. That was the big difference between the two. I have no doubt in my mind that Dozier will be up at somepoint this season, unless Luke Hughes manages to take over starting at 2nd and never looks back. Otherwise, he will probably be the starting SS next year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Can we stop ripping Smith, and annointing Ryan. The lack of young players in MN and impact players in AAA (especially last year) is on Ryan's time at GM. Who was GM when Dozier was drafted? He already looks better than any MIF drafted by Ryan's regime since, um, ever? Of course, the draft is really about scouts, not GMs.....

There isn't room for Dozier because they signed Carroll, let's see how that goes, given his range at SS (I do like the signing, but I also would have been ok with rolling the die on Dozier, and using that money elsewhere). I do think Carroll will be around league median at SS, which is fine as long as M&M&S are good....

Like you said Mike, it's not on Ryan or on Smith. Scouts drive the draft, GM's have much less input than most would believe.

And you say you have no problem with the Carroll signing but would've been okay with Dozier too.

I'm not sure you really said anything.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Until the Twins acquire an Ace to anchor the starting staff, none of this Dozier/Parmalee/Hughes stuff is worth debating. It won't matter if the other team averages 6 runs/game.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    We lost 99 games last year mainly because our 3 best players (Span, Morneau and Mauer) had a lost season with injuries. If these guys can stay healthy and with the additions we have added, I like our chances. Our hitting stunk last year we need the big 3 in the lineup. I know people forget about Span, but his OBP is huge for the top of the lineup.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Really??

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Parmelee gets this promotion only as a consequence of Morneau's situation. He's not earned it, but I'm also not horrified at him getting a chance. Guys do sometimes just breakout in the bigs and at his age. We'll see... Also, very surprise but thankful that we're only carrying two catchers. Willinham is the emergency, which relieves all my worries since his actually been a position player at catcher. The bullpen is still downright scary. Hope I'm wrong, but i fear we'll give up many leads and ties in the 6-8th innings.
    How exactly has Parmalee not "earned" his spot on the 25 man? He's done everything the organization has asked of him in the last 2 seasons. He was one of the only players who showed up at the end of last year and had a very good spring?? It doesn't mean he's going to succeed long term but at some point it makes no sense letting these guys rot on horrible teams in the Twins minor league system. What does anyone learn losing 2/3rd of their games at Rochester or New Britain? This Twins team won't win 70 games. You cannot expect more when you put the worst pitching staff the majors has seem in a decade out there. Why not give some of these young hitter a chance? We know you can go get Butera up here to claim his crown as worst hitter in baseball anytime we want.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    the worst pitching staff the majors has seem in a decade .
    Where do we place our wagers? I'm thinking of a pretty big number.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    How exactly has Parmalee not "earned" his spot on the 25 man?
    Not to displace Morneau at first if Morneau were healthy. Winning a spot is different than getting a spot. Parmelee has played well enough to get himself into a position to get the spot that Morneau leaves vacant because of injury. He's earned the chance (and I hope he succeeds, but am not a homer or loving change for the sake of change) but he hasn't earned the start. Again, with all that said, I hope Morneau gets back to playing everyday 1B and Parmelee has earned (at that point it will be earned) to start in RF.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.