Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft: The Boards

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts

2013 Draft: The Boards

After posting the "The Mocks" thread I realized that with out seeing draft boards they make little sense. With Law releasing his updated board some point today and BA releasing theirs tomorrow I figured no better time then the present. Im only posting boards that have been updated recently and from credible sources. As I say this don't be afraid of posting your personal draft board, if you are a nerd like me and actually have one, because they are helpful to sparking up debate.

Christopher Crawford:
    http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/05/t...13-volume-vii/

Jonathan Mayo:
    2013 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: News

Laws Board(stuck behind insider):
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...2013-mlb-draft

Baseball America:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

Bleacher Report:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...draft-rankings

Matt Garrioch:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...hs-draft-board

(Like with the mock page if you find one I missed post it on here and I will update the thread)
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    WARNING! Just in case you didn't know I'm not a professional scout and the Twins front office doesn't care what I have to say! I built this list from things I have read, videos I have seen, the few players I have seen live, and my gut.....which thanks to beer is a lot larger than it should be.

I started making draft boards when the mlbnetwork started to air the draft, 3 years ago, and have found it makes the draft a lot more interesting. Like betting, but with out losing large amounts of money. By draft day I will have about 50 players ranked but for the forums sake I will only post my top 10.

When I set up my board I not only go from 1-50 I also separate players into tiers. While the number next to their name shows where I rank them, in reality I could argue any player in that specific tier could be flipped around. While I specifically follow the Twins this board is ranked in talent, not need. I don't rank pitcher higher just because the Twins need them.

With out further a do, here is my board. Feel free to tell me how dumb I am. Also, don't be scuurrred to post your own board.

Tier 1
    1) Jon Gray- Yes, I have Gray ahead of Appel. While Appel has a better third pitch and command, give me the guy with better "stuff". 80 grade fastballs don't grow on trees and I feel his slider is a grade above Appel's too.
    2) Mark Appel- Long track record, above average command, and 3 pitches that range from 60-70 grade. Boras as his advisor doesn't bug me as much as the fact he has a ton of mileage on his arm already. Both him/Gray profile as aces.

Tier 2
    3)Kris Bryant- Leads all of college baseball in walks and more importantly HRs (by 6). While I put it around 40% that he could stick at 3B, at best, it wont matter because his bat will play any where. The only questions in my mind is if he will make enough contact to harness his 70 grade power.
    4) Kohl Stewart- Is super athletic and already has two plus pitches in a 92-96 fastball with a hard breaking slider. Has a chance to have 4 above average pitches. He has a strong commitment to A&M but if he is selected high enough I don't think he will pass on baseball. The bigger issue are the injuries.
    5) Clint Frazier- What can I say? I love bat speed! Quoting Law, "fastest bat speed in the draft-- possibly best I have seen from an amateur ever." While he will be stuck to a corner OF, he should be a plus defender in right, but like Bryant has a bat that can play anywhere. Biggest question is if he can make adjustments to big league pitching. Lots of swing and miss potential.
    6) Meadows- Super athletic, has a chance to have plus power, 8 months younger than Frazier, and has a chance to stick at center. While he has a higher ceiling than Frazier my gut tells me Frazier is going to be a better big leaguer. Questions have come up about Meadows effort and commitment which scare me a little.

Tier 3
    7) Moran- Has a 4-1 BB/K ratio which isn't only insane but typically is a good indicator for future success. Has answered some questions about his power this year but there is a fear if he is moved from third to first he might become the next James Lonely. If you truly believe he can stick at 3B I could see an argument for having him higher.
    8) Manaea- Big time lefty who even though his fastball was a tick down from the Cape Cod league was still a 60 grade pitch. While his change up has improved his slider, which was flashing a 70 grade, has been so inconsistent I don't know what to make of it. Also has injury concerns.
    9) Shipley- Reminds me a lot of Zimmer from last year. Super athletic, converted SS, and has a 60 grade fastball/65 grade secondary pitch/average third offering that flashes plus. Difference is Zimmer had a 65 grade curve ball while 65 grade change up. Quoting Law again, "you can be taught a great change up, you are born with a great breaking ball."
    10) Stanek- Came into the year as a top 5 talent but has slid due to inconsistency. Still has filthy stuff but just cant harness it. Due to his violent delivery some scouts see him as a reliever but if someone can fix his inconsistency issue they might have a steal. Has 3 pitches that could be plus.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Matt Garrioch at minorleageball.com has been doing a break down on regional draft talent which once he finishes he will put together a big draft board. Once he does that I will post his updated board up above hut to ill then you read through these great lists.

NOTE: To understand his grades read this thread first!
    2013 MLB Draft: Regional Reports Primer - Minor League Ball

Atlantic Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Atlantic Region Report - Minor League Ball

Northeast region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Northeast Region Report - Minor League Ball

California Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: California Report - Minor League Ball

Central Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Central Region Report - Minor League Ball

Florida/ Puerto Rico Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Florida/Puerto Rico Region Report - Minor League Ball

Southeast Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Southeast Region - Minor League Ball

Texas/Oklahoma Region:
    2013 MLB Draft: Texas/Oklahoma Region - Minor League Ball

West Region:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...-region-report

Also, for those of you who only care about Minnesota, Central Region, they have 3 of the top 9 names there.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    The second link is actually to MLB's 100 board, but I couldn't find a good link for a Mayo list either.

Crawford has Stewert at #4. I like it as it provides some justification for anyone who is on the fence about drafting a HS arm early.

Senior Member All-Star
    Yeah, Mayos lists are always linked together. Annoying but what can you do? Also a warning about Mayo's list, while the draft order is updated the player information is not. All of the player information is from before the year started.

Senior Member All-Star
    Right as I finished posting this Law releases his updated list. While it is behind a money wall here is his top 5:

Appel, Gray, Bryant, Meadows, Stewart.

Also, for those interested in the MN kids he has Anderson at 25, Shore at 37, Boldt at 40, Windle at 60, and Snelton at 71.

If anyone has specific ranking questions on guys let me know.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BAs initial mock will come out later today. Curious to see how they have the top 4 playing out. All indications - including McDaniel's recent mock - are that the Twins have Frazier in their 2nd tier, now ahead of Meadows.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Right as I finished posting this Law releases his updated list. While it is behind a money wall here is his top 5:

Appel, Gray, Bryant, Meadows, Stewart.

Also, for those interested in the MN kids he has Anderson at 25, Shore at 37, Boldt at 40, Windle at 60, and Snelton at 71.

If anyone has specific ranking questions on guys let me know.
    Who are Shore and Snelton?
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 05-09-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Who are Shore and Snelton?
    Logan Shore is a RHP out of Coon Rapids. Law is high on him , he's said to throw in the low 90's already.

D.J. Snelton is a another LHP JR at the U of M. had okay stuff but some later reports have him hitting the mid 90's.

Last edited by maxisagod; 05-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Logan Shore is a RHP out of Coon Rapids. Law is high on him , he's said to throw in the low 90's already.

D.J. Snelton is a another LHP JR at the U of M. had okay stuff but some later reports have him hitting the mid 90's.

Thanks

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really hope the Twins grab Stewart, hes got the stuff to become the best pitcher out of this class. It just sucks hes gonna take atleast 3 years to develop.

Senior Member All-Star
    I believe Snelton profiles as a relief pitcher due to his delivery and lack of a third pitch. Being a LHP who can hit 95 will get a lot of looks though.

Also, I posted my own personal top 10 above. Feel free to make fun of my choices and post your own boards. I know I'm not the only loser who has a draft board!

Senior Member All-Star
    Updated the list above with the West Region. All of Matt's region boards should be up now and later I will get BAs up.

Senior Member All-Star
    SI.com's mock has us taking Frazier. McGuire goes 6th.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...?sct=hp_t11_a3

Senior Member All-Star
    Updated the thread with BA's draft board. Gray #1 and Frazier at #4. They have scouting reports on the site but you have to be a member.

Senior Member All-Star
    Christopher Crawford posted his updated draft board today. I updated the link above. He moved several guys around. For those of you too lazy to scroll up here is the link:
    The Board 2013: Volume VI |

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have read a few reports complaining about Meadows make up. If those are to be believed there is no way the twins draft him.

I amgetting comfy with Frazier. But would still prefer a high upside arm like Stewart.

Senior Member All-Star
    Meadows has had concerns about lack of effort all year long. Not sure if it is a long term character issue or just him being young.

I personally prefer Stewart to Frazier, due to ceiling and not position unlike most, but nothing the Twins have done in the past makes me think they will draft a HS arm at 4. Johnson has only taken 2 HS pitchers, both supplemental round, out of his 33 top 5 round picks. Closer and closer it gets to the draft the more I feel the Twins will go Frazier and then stack up on arms in later rounds like last year.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Twins neeed to take an arm they have plenty of really good young bats and bats that are in the lineup now. Pitching is the key to being a great team, I mean look at last years WS between DET and SF who both have a top 5 roto if not the 2 best. I think they should grab Stewart, hes got just as much upside as Gray and Appel. Manaea wouldnt be a bad choice either. Then we would have a pretty stacked group of pitchers in our system with a few guys that have front of the roto stuff. I wouldnt mind having a roto of Stewart, Meyer, Gibson, Diamond and Berrios or May. We would finaly have a few guys that can throw hard and get Ks.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree on the lack of high school arms, but I'm just getting the feeling Stewart's going to be the guy. And to put the cherry on top, Ryan Boldt drops to the Twins pick in the 2nd round.

Ok... back to reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast