Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Season Premiere of The Ron Gardenhire Show on 1500ESPN

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Season Premiere of The Ron Gardenhire Show on 1500ESPN

Tom Pelissero and Jim Souhan are hosting the first Ron Gardenhire Show of the year on 1500espn (www.1500espn.com). Here are some notes:
    • Likes having veterans like Sean Burroughs, Ryan Doumit, etc., to put together good at bats.
    • Luke Hughes' swing is shorter and the plane is better. He's been pretty good.
    • Alexi can play SS. Carroll can play 2B. Trevor Plouffe will back up in the infield and outfield. He's been in control on the field this spring.
    • Wanted to add depth to win ball games. We went with some specialty people who can swing the bat.
    • Morneau - leaning toward full-time DH, but still subject to change. He doesn't have to worry about diving, etc. Will have to play some 1B, especially for National League ball games.
    • Mauer is ready to go. He's caught back-to-back days. He's strong. He feels good. Not even talking about 'other stuff." That's good. Will play plenty of 1B
    • Doumit - he's "game on." He's catching Liriano next. But he's worked with everyone else. Has done well, better than they were thinking he would be. He's decent in RF.
    • No doubt there is much more depth. Sent down some very good players. That may be a difference from last year. It's been tough, "We sent some pretty good players down. We sent some good pitchers down."

First commercial... check out 1500espn.com... more comments to come.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    More:

Drew Butera - talked about 3-catcher thing, but Drew just doesn't hit. Can't afford those that don't have the ability yet to hit. Want to have a chance 1-9 to hit. Have Joe and "Dooms." Drew needs to play, needs ABs. He'll do anything you ask. As good a catch-and-throw guy, calls a good game. He's well liked, well respected, there early, he's there.

Chris Parmelee - liked what he did last year, and had a great spring. Last year, Tom Brunansky helped level his swing out. Gets the bat-head on the ball well. He has earned it.

Torii Hunter (Souhan's guy) - Gardy has never had a hitter say he didn't want to hit... (he's had a pitcher, and they laughed and said that pitcher isn't here anymore). He wasn't going to pinch hit for Kubel.

Baker - will leave him in Ft. Myers and let him get a couple more starts.

Marquis - needs to take care of his daughter, very serious... we haven't come up with a plan because we don't know where he is baseball-wise.

Going to go with Hendriks and a four-man rotation... then maybe Swarzak until we figure out what's going on with BAker and Marquis.

Willingham is comfortable in left... Plouffe is better in right field.

Gardy - did a lot of traveling... accept the fact that it was a bad year... we've moved past it. Once you're into January, the caravan and Twins Fest, he's ready to go. He's excited. THey feel good about spring training and the upcoming season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Jeff Gray and Alex Burnett in the bullpen...Does anybody trust these guys pitching with the game on the line..Well it is April Fools Day..

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Burnett will (most likely) be sent down as soon as Marquis is back or Baker is off the DL.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeff Gray is worse than Burnett...I'm not being negative here, just being honest...What do they see in Jeff Gray...A lifetime 4.5 ERA...He is awefui. Please someone indulge me with why he is here..

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tuned in just at the end of this and what I was struck by was that I heard a bunch of commercials in a row that was PSAs. I was surprised by that. Maybe the sales team is a little behind in getting some contracts signed. I can't imagine they would have trouble getting advertisers for that show.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So glad that Justin is having some great at bats...I must admit I thought he was done, and I'm so happy I was wrong. Gives me hope! However, I'm hoping Baker isn't becoming another Slowey. We need our pitchers to step up in a big way this year if this is to be a winning season. GO TWINS!

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I tuned in just at the end of this and what I was struck by was that I heard a bunch of commercials in a row that was PSAs. I was surprised by that. Maybe the sales team is a little behind in getting some contracts signed. I can't imagine they would have trouble getting advertisers for that show.
    It's really not surprising to me. Usually these shows offer such little insight, I can't change the station quick enough. I can only hear this stuff for so long before my BS meter goes off. I guess I may be in the minority, but it's the same for me whenever an athlete is interviewed on the air. It's just painful for me to listen to so many cream puff questions tossed out, only to hear a dozen cliche's or so as answers. Seriously, when was the last time Gardenire said something like "Well, Nishi can't hit and is completely lost with the Glove. He doesn't listen to instruction, but we laid out close to 15 million for him, so I'm running him out there every day anyway." --which is what he should have said last summer about the guy, but never would because he can't. My point being you rarely hear anything that isn't already known or vanilla on these shows.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I gotta say, as a Twins fan and a father, I'm pretty proud of the fact that they have been so willing to adjust to Marquis's situation and doing their best to give him as much time as he needs. With all the money and hype, it's sometimes too easy to forget what's really important.

Best wishes to his daughter, and I hope she gets a chance to come out and see her Dad pitch at Target Field

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    spideyo, I agree 100%. Over the last several years, I think the Twins have been exceptionally good when it comes to dealing with players personal issues. The good news is that it sounds like she is doing better and Marquis will be back with the team tomorrow.

Good to hear about Marquis' daughter!

Are there teams or examples of teams that haven't dealt with those situations in the same manner. That would surprise me!

GO TWINS!

Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes