Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doumit ranks as worst pitch framer for 2nd straight week

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    He mentioned Doumit, and that's fine, but Doumit has caught less than 10 innings from the guy.
    I don't think anyone is blaming Doumit for Worley's failures, just another opportunity to point out his deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    It might be time just to have him as a backup catcher or trade him...
    Well if he's not very good at being a catcher, as in one of the worst in MLB, I don't know that I'd want him as anything more than a bench bat. As Mike pointed out, he hasn't been contibuting enough with the bat to be our regular DH.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'd make Parmalee the DH, and tell him produce, or get cut at the end of the year. Find out what he's got, physically and mentally.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Well if he's not very good at being a catcher, as in one of the worst in MLB, I don't know that I'd want him as anything more than a bench bat. As Mike pointed out, he hasn't been contibuting enough with the bat to be our regular DH.
    backups are backups and having to fill in here and there he's fine...more than a capable overall backup catcher. If we can get someone to take him off our hands, that's good, but there's no actual rule that says a backup catcher has to be great defensively but carpy hitting. He hits more than fine for a backup catcher when considering how other backup catchers hit. All teams take a hit when they play backups. There seems to be a growing belief that every player on our team needs to be a star or an above average, or even average, MLB starter. It's not realistic. Most every team has weak spots in their starting group and weak players on the bench that don't fit the criteria...doesn't mean those players have no value to the team. Doumit has value as a backup catcher. And, to extend that out, true he's not hitting right now...but it's not like he can't or never has. Most of the team isn't hitting worth a carp.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 05-24-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Pitch Framing has likely been a thing for years and years. I've only been following baseball prospecting for about 4-5 years and in that time, I've read a lot about a prospects ability to frame pitches is an essential skill of a catcher. I didn't even realize that stats were been kept for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The data goes back to 2007. He was at the bottom of rankings when the Twins signed him. That status hasn't changed.
    Did the Twins sign him as a catcher or as a hitter that can catch?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234