Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheers to Jason Collins

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I hate to break it to you but 34 year old big men in the NBA are usually near the end of their careers unless they are of extraordinary talent and/or durability. Running up and down a hardwood floor for 10+ years tends to destroy knees, ankles, and backs on even the guards, much less the seven footers.
    I think perhaps you're missing the point. A player at the point of his career where Collins is, is certainly not guaranteed a contract next year, it's an iffy thing. I don't know what his motivations were for publicly stating he's gay, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he thought it might help get another contract. It certainly crossed my mind. It's 2013, and if he doesn't get a contract, there will be those who will claim it's because he's openly gay, and it'll be big news, and not favorably. You can be sure the NBA, as an organization, is aware of that. It's been news that he is gay, it'll be news when he does, or doesn't, get a contract. Hopefully his contract for next year is decided based on his merits as a basketball player. But to think this couldn't possibly be a factor in him getting a contract is pretty naÔve, IMO, and I think it's naÔve to think it's not even possible that Collins considered that. It's possible.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    That says it all. Thanks for clearing up any need to reply going forward.
    If my team was able to ge the real Santa Clause to show up every year, and then this year they were playing so bad that the real Santa refused to show up, I'd boo the concept of a fake Santa. Kids know the difference between the real Santa and a fake one. The kid pretendin go be Santa understood. If anyone ever boos the real Santa I'll beat them up. Santa's my hero.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I think perhaps you're missing the point. A player at the point of his career where Collins is, is certainly not guaranteed a contract next year, it's an iffy thing. I don't know what his motivations were for publicly stating he's gay, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he thought it might help get another contract. It certainly crossed my mind. It's 2013, and if he doesn't get a contract, there will be those who will claim it's because he's openly gay, and it'll be big news, and not favorably. You can be sure the NBA, as an organization, is aware of that. It's been news that he is gay, it'll be news when he does, or doesn't, get a contract. Hopefully his contract for next year is decided based on his merits as a basketball player. But to think this couldn't possibly be a factor in him getting a contract is pretty naÔve, IMO, and I think it's naÔve to think it's not even possible that Collins considered that. It's possible.
    If you want to assume the negative of the situation, sure, I guess that's possible.

But what is more likely is that he's making a statement near the end of his career. He no longer has to fear facing hostile crowds for ten seasons and no longer has to fear teammates being unaccepting of his lifestyle. He's probably more comfortable with who he is as a person and his family is surely financially secure at this point. Doing something like this has to be scary as hell... I've known plenty of people who came out and it was terrifying for them and they didn't have to do it on the national stage and automatically become part of the civil rights movement because of it.

It makes all the sense in the world why he would do this as his career is nearing its end and I doubt it has much to do with "I want my contract extended" and more to do with "this is who I am as a person and after years of hiding, I want to be honest about it".

With Collins being a multi-millionaire with very little left to prove at this point, what do you think is the more likely scenario?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecgrimes View Post
    Kids know the difference between the real Santa and a fake one.
    Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

Senior Member Triple-A

With Collins being a multi-millionaire with very little left to prove at this point, what do you think is the more likely scenario?
    Whats the definition of multi millionaire? because one more veteran minimum contract will probably increase his net worth by over 10% and thats if he's been somewhat smart with his money. The norm for pro athletes is to be broke by age 40. Property taxes alone will do it once the money stops coming in.

If you want to assume the negative of the situation, sure, I guess that's possible.
    I'm making no more of an assumption than you are, all I said is it's possible. But if you get right down to it, if he "no longer has to fear hostile crowds (or)...teammates being unaccepting," he's more comfortable with who he is and financially secure, why would this be "scary as hell?"

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    I think it was important that he was a free agent, so he didn't force his former clubhouse to accept him out of hand. Maybe he is too old, of no use, but that's hardly the common narrative. Even the cynical narrative points to the fact that he had a fiance (/hattip Howard Kurtz) rather than the unlikelihood of his continuing NBA career as the nefarious spearhead to a self-serving admission.

Beyond all the gloss and the political proselytizing, there seems to be a convincing admission, which many within the game have real respect, and so very few seem to dismiss as anything less than legitimate.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    But if you get right down to it, if he "no longer has to fear hostile crowds (or)...teammates being unaccepting," he's more comfortable with who he is and financially secure, why would this be "scary as hell?"
    Seriously. You didn't really just say that.

How would doing something like this not be scary? Should he just ignore right-wing nuts who say every awful thing they can about him during the 24 hour news cycle? Should he just ignore the hate mail that he is surely receiving at this point? Going from "mostly ignored veteran" to "ambassador of gay rights in 2013" is terrifying no matter how you look at it.

Just because it's easier to do this at the end of his career does not mean it's easy for him to do it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Even the cynical narrative points to the fact that he had a fiance (/hattip Howard Kurtz) rather than the unlikelihood of his continuing NBA career as the nefarious spearhead to a self-serving admission.
    I didn't realize he was engaged. In that case, I declare Occam's Razor.

Seriously. You didn't really just say that.

How would doing something like this not be scary? Should he just ignore right-wing nuts who say every awful thing they can about him during the 24 hour news cycle? Should he just ignore the hate mail that he is surely receiving at this point? Going from "mostly ignored veteran" to "ambassador of gay rights in 2013" is terrifying no matter how you look at it.

Just because it's easier to do this at the end of his career does not mean it's easy for him to do it.
    Uh, yes? It's 2013. Rightfully so, gay rights have come a long way in a decade, and so has acceptance. There are hateful people in the world, some of whom will doubtless yell unkind things. Unpleasant, to say the least? Sure. "Terrifying?" I think that's overselling it by a large margin. Those people yelling those things are saying much more about themselves than about Collins, and I think a substantial majority of Americans would agree with that statement. Again, it's 2013. Times are a'changin.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Uh, yes? It's 2013. Rightfully so, gay rights have come a long way in a decade, and so has acceptance. There are hateful people in the world, some of whom will doubtless yell unkind things. Unpleasant, to say the least? Sure. "Terrifying?" I think that's overselling it by a large margin. Those people yelling those things are saying much more about themselves than about Collins, and I think a substantial majority of Americans would agree with that statement. Again, it's 2013. Times are a'changin.
    In the general populace, sure. In the confines of a locker room in a professional (or even collegiate) sport, not near as much. There's a reason that Brendan Ayanbadejo and Chris Kluwe get so much publicity. Not just because they talk about the issue, but because it's so incredibly rare that they speak out so strongly on the side that they do.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread got a bit wild. Not sure how anyone could possibly see this as self-serving. The dude isn't some dumbass looking for fame. He realized that he needed to be a leader since--other than Griner--no one had yet stepped forward.

The "league" doesn't find roster spots for players. Individual teams do. Collins is likely a 12/13th player, going back and forth between being active and inactive. But he will likely be on someone's playoff roster next year as a third center. Clearly OKC could use someone like him right now against Memphis.

I follow the Celtics, so I got to see Collins play a bit this season. Dude is no great shakes, but he is def going to be on a roster if he wants to. Plays good man to man on bigs, and he handled the Celtics team defense fairly well. By all account he was a good guy in the locker room as well. He'll end up on someone's bench.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    If people don't think coming out is scary, read up on the losers in NY that beat the crap out of guys because they thought were gay after the Knicks game last week.......ya, being gay and out is no big deal at all.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    I follow the Celtics, so I got to see Collins play a bit this season. Dude is no great shakes, but he is def going to be on a roster if he wants to. Plays good man to man on bigs, and he handled the Celtics team defense fairly well. By all account he was a good guy in the locker room as well. He'll end up on someone's bench.
    Exactly. No one is assuming he'll have a prominent role for a team, but he's absolutely got a job on an NBA bench if he wants it at this point in his career, especially on defense.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

People still get killed for being gay. Having a crowd scream slurs me would scare the hell out of me if I was in a similar situation. In general people are OK... groups? Not so much.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

The "league" doesn't find roster spots for players. Individual teams do.
    Just because something always has been true doesn't mean it will be true in this situation. I see it as very reasonable that every GM in the league will pass on him. As a borderline player who is capable of still playing some the league will do what is best for the league. If that means saying behind the scenes to a GM or two that they will pay his salary that is exactly what will happen. Two assumptions are in play, 1 every GM will pass on him, and 2 the league will want him on a roster enough to make that decision a no brainer for some GM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123