Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Casilla is hurt - then what?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 166 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries

If Casilla is hurt - then what?

I suppose there are two options if Casilla has to miss any length of time...

1) Dozier starts, either at 2B or SS with Carroll taking the other side.
    2) Hughes starts and the Twins pick up a utility infielder to back up SS instead of whoever else was making the roster.

I assume it would be #1, but maybe they aren't sure Dozier is ready. Or maybe they're getting excited about Hughes? What do you think they'll do? What would you do?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    #1... Dozier time!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    The Giants have put Mike Fontenot on waivers... another utility type that I wouldn't be interested in, but it might make some sense in a backup role.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Nisihoka? Since we just sent him down for the first time is there a rule that means he can't come back right away?
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think Hughes will be the Twins starting second baseman, if not on opening day then whenever Casilla has the first of his injuries this year. I expect that once he gets the starting job, Hughes ain't giving it back! If he can get 500ab, I see him hitting 20+ home runs with a .270-.280 average. He will also play solid, but not spectacular defense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I don't think there would be a contractual or logistics issue with recalling Nishioka, but I doubt he figured out his defensive maladies in only a week.

You would have to think they would go with Dozier. I'm not convinced the team had actually already made up their mind that he was going to start in Rochester even before Casilla became questionable. Of all the offensive prospects who were assumed to not make the team, only Dozier and Parmelee still remain and Parmelee looks to be a near lock if Morneau is going to be the regular DH. The Twins normally send the prospects out with a couple weeks to go and focus on figuring out the bench while the young guys get regular playing time against fellow minor leaguers. The fact that he is still around when the club is normally evaluating the 3rd catcher and utility candidates tells me someone has been campaigning to give him a starting job all along.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 03-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dozier would the starting SS and Carroll would move to 2B

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    If Lexi goes down in the first couple of weeks, I think they give the 2B job to Luke. As it is, I think he will see a lot of playing time there the first couple of months of the season. If he continues to play well, he may get more time. Luke plays when Lexi has a day off and again whenever Lexi slides over to short to cover an off day. I don't think we will see Dozier until September.

Now if Carroll goes down or doesn't preform to the level they expect either hitting or in the field, Dozier is on the next flight to Minnesota.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Hollimon is still around as well, playing 2nd today vs Boston

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I am SHOCKED that Casilla is hurt, shocked, and kind of bummed. I still think he can be a slightly above average 2B.......I think Hughes goes to 2B, and they see what happens. Random guy is the utility player.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think Hughes will be the Twins starting second baseman, if not on opening day then whenever Casilla has the first of his injuries this year. I expect that once he gets the starting job, Hughes ain't giving it back! If he can get 500ab, I see him hitting 20+ home runs with a .270-.280 average. He will also play solid, but not spectacular defense.
    I'm kind of hoping this is the case. Hughes certainly has earned the shot. If Lexi is hitting the 15 day DL, run Hughes out there every day and use Plouffe as the emergency backup as needed.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    What's the injury and how did it happen?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 166 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing about starting Hughes is that the Twins would have to get a backup utility infielder who can play SS. Otherwise, the backup is Plouffe.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    What's the injury and how did it happen?
    soreness in the back of his right knee... he noticed it during batting practice yesterday. Didn't sound terribly serious but might as well get it checked out right away.

Thanks for the update Seth. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

If Casilla is hurt for any measurable amount of time, I'd prefer that Hughes start at second. This opinion is independent of the back-up SS problem: either find a waiver or use someone in-house, i.e., Hollimon.
    Last edited by Ultima Ratio; 03-30-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    soreness in the back of his right knee... he noticed it during batting practice yesterday. Didn't sound terribly serious but might as well get it checked out right away.

I heard

MRI revealed an inflamed bursa in the back his knee. Is day-day.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    The thing about starting Hughes is that the Twins would have to get a backup utility infielder who can play SS. Otherwise, the backup is Plouffe.
    which for a short DL stint isn't that big of a deal. He'd get maybe one or two starts there. If Carol or Plouffe gets hurt, you have Dozier on his way up from Rochester to fill in.

I think the way Hughes is hitting the ball lately you would have to go with him. Maybe not as defensively gifted as Lexi, but what he lacks in "D" he will make up for by adding more pop.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is absolutely no concern about Casilla. He will be able to start the season with the Twins
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast