Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

J.D. Williams

JaDamion Williams
    RF-LF-CF
    5'11'', 183 pounds
    Bats: both, Throws: right
    DOB: 11-20-1990

Known for his blazing speed, Williams had a fantastic season in 2011 at Elizabethon, but was a bit overshadowed by Sano and Rosario. 2012 was a bad year for Williams at low-A.

So far in 2013 he is off to a strong start returning to low-A ball. His OPS is 1.052 and he has already hit 3 homers, which was half his total for all of 2012. After a bad k/bb rate in 2012 of 39/115, he has turned in a 14/11 rate so far, which is a very good thing to see. He has already swiped 6 bags and looks much more like the player from 2011.

Williams could very likely finish the season at Fort Myers and he will be an interesting player to watch in the outfield over the next few seasons to see where he measures up against the rest of the deep OF pool found in the Twins organization.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Q & A with JD Williams - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Big thanks to SD Buhr for this interview.

Williams is impressing this year and has a good attitude about baseball. He has some impressive athletic ability to go with it, so 2013 will be interesting to watch.

Blog Entries
    Season numbers for Williams:

.219/.402/.422, with 4 doubles, 3 homers, 6-4 SB-CS, and 20-19 BB-K.

To note here are that his ISO numbers have exploded this year and that is a good sign for someone repeating a league--he isn't stagnating, getting bogged down, etc. and instead is improving.

I am very interested to see what the Twins do with him. His OPS is inching near his 2011 ELZ mark and the OF situation is obviously quite crowded, especially after the return of Max Kepler. It wouldn't surprise me if the Fort Myers OF by the end of the season was Williams-Buxton-Walker.

Blog Entries
    Season numbers for Williams:

.255/.411/..511 (.922), 8/2/4, 8-4, 25-28.

Williams has an OPS of 1.248 over his last 10 games and is now really starting to slug the ball to go with his speed.

With Angel Morales starting to find his way in A+ ball, I have to wonder if Williams is going to make the jump there soon.

Blog Entries
    Williams has sustained his offense so far this week. He is now at .262/.419/.495 (.914), while adding another stolen base, three walks and only one strikeout. I tend to look at high ISO numbers as a good predictor of success as long as the BB/K ratio is not bad. It's actually very good in this case 28/29.

If I were the "decider" I would promote Williams to Fort Myers immediately (Morales to NB, NB gets rid of some filler, and Dereck Rodriguez joins Cedar Rapids).

Williams is performing ABOVE his 2011 season right now. There is no reason to wait around.

Blog Entries
    Williams is now at .263/.409/.492 (.901) and has stolen nine bases. I would like to see him at the top of the Fort Myers lineup real soon. There is no reason why he shouldn't be promoted.

Blog Entries
    Williams' OPS has dropped some, thanks to a walk drought (which I am not that concerned about). He still is at .849 for the season and I have to think he might be looking at a promotion to Fort Myers very soon, especially if the Clete Thomas promotion to the Twins causes a chain reaction.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Williams' OPS has dropped some, thanks to a walk drought (which I am not that concerned about). He still is at .849 for the season and I have to think he might be looking at a promotion to Fort Myers very soon, especially if the Clete Thomas promotion to the Twins causes a chain reaction.
    I think your right. He is deserving with his OPS and OB%

Blog Entries
    The power numbers are still in decline but the OBP was .429 over the past week. Also, in the game on Monday, Williams advanced Buxton over to third by pulling over on a ball that was on the other half of the plate. I get a sense that Williams has done that more than a few times this year. And, as they should, the Twins like that sort of thing (as the big league club really needs this fundamental skill). Tom Kelly commented on it during the game.

I still expect Williams to be moving with Buxton (and Hicks) to Fort Myers.

Blog Entries
    In his 2012 Beloit season, J.D. Williams drew 39 walks in 407 plate appearances. He struck out 115 times.

In 2013, Williams has reached 39 walks in 236 plate appearances. He has struck out just 50 times.

His ISO numbers have climbed by .110 in his repeat season.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Williams' chances of being promoted hinge a little bit on who the organization believes is ready to be promoted to play the OF in Cedar Rapids. With Buxton almost certain to be moving up, they're going to need someone who can play CF. I haven't heard a thing about Kepler's elbow and whether he's even throwing yet so I don't know if/when he'll be arriving.

I agree, though, that JD should move up any time. It's time to find out if he can succeed at the hi-A level.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Williams has gone wild of late, going 7-for-16 in his past four games, homering in Sunday's game.

His .825 OPS with 13 stolen bases is nothing to scoff at this far into the season. This is a big turnaround from last year and surely means good things for Williams for the rest of the season as he eyes that promotion. He will be getting some CF time now for awhile first.

Blog Entries
    Williams has gone off in the past week, with a .538 batting average and 1.400+ OPS. He hit a couple of triples in the week. His season OPS is now at .861 and he is flourishing in Buxton's absence. I have to wonder how much longer the Twins are going to keep him down in Cedar Rapids.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    It would be interesting to know why some players don't get moved up. Now, JD is on a big hot streak right now which has helped push his numbers higher, but he has been hitting well all season. He is now 22 and repeating low A. He has certainly made a big improvement over last season, .865 OPS vs. .651 OPS. Fort Meyers' only prospect in the OF is Buxton so nobody is blocking him. All of the available information says he is ready to move up. It will be interesting to see if he gets the call shortly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    It would be interesting to know why some players don't get moved up. Now, JD is on a big hot streak right now which has helped push his numbers higher, but he has been hitting well all season. He is now 22 and repeating low A. He has certainly made a big improvement over last season, .865 OPS vs. .651 OPS. Fort Meyers' only prospect in the OF is Buxton so nobody is blocking him. All of the available information says he is ready to move up. It will be interesting to see if he gets the call shortly.
    I agree. I really don't understand the waiting with him here.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I'd guess the key phrase is "all the available information". We have to remember that the pro staff in CR has years of development experience. They see the kid every day, on and off the field. We won't know if they're saying he's not ready with every aspect of his game, but it's possible they believe he still needs a little more time, and who are we to argue, right?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins like to keep guys in CR for an entire year. He's done well, but hasn't dominated. He will finish the year in CR and start in FM next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I'd guess the key phrase is "all the available information". We have to remember that the pro staff in CR has years of development experience. They see the kid every day, on and off the field. We won't know if they're saying he's not ready with every aspect of his game, but it's possible they believe he still needs a little more time, and who are we to argue, right?
    That's why I opened my paragraph with:

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung
    It would be interesting to know why some players don't get moved up.
    I tried to be very clear I wasn't calling for him to get moved. Just saying all the available information says he is ready to move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Twins like to keep guys in CR for an entire year. He's done well, but hasn't dominated. He will finish the year in CR and start in FM next year.
    If this was his first season in low A I would understand better. Harrison and Walker are both putting up very similar numbers; very good but not dominating. On the other hand this is JD's second full season in low A ball. He has shown he corrected whatever mistakes he had last year, at least with his batting. If there are no unknown extenuating circumstances I would think the Twins would want to move him up so he can catch up to his "class" of recruits. If they don't promote him this season he will be 25 years old at AAA, assuming he makes it that far.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If this was his first season in low A I would understand better. Harrison and Walker are both putting up very similar numbers; very good but not dominating. On the other hand this is JD's second full season in low A ball. He has shown he corrected whatever mistakes he had last year, at least with his batting. If there are no unknown extenuating circumstances I would think the Twins would want to move him up so he can catch up to his "class" of recruits. If they don't promote him this season he will be 25 years old at AAA, assuming he makes it that far.
    ....or in other words....right on par with the typical player in the Twins development schedule. Look at the Red Wings roster....for position players, James Beresford (24) and Chris Hermann (25) are the only ones on the roster that young.

I gotta think Richardson will be traded before then, as the Twins will be actively looking to begin adding better prospects to the 40-man- beginning this off-season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast