Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Pontential Solution to the current lack of SP depth to start the season.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pontential Solution to the current lack of SP depth to start the season.

As Seth hinted in his post earlier today, it's HIGHLY likely that one of Baker/Marquis won't be on the team opening day due to outside circumstances. Hendriks is a clear choice to be called up, but I doubt the Twins want to bring him north just for a single spot start.

Looking over the waiver wire for professional veterans one name jumps out as a potential spot starter and someone who could actually stick as a very solid #5, even better: Gardy and company are familiar with him as he posted a 23-16 record and a 3.84 in a two year stretch for this team before, the man I am speaking about of course is Carlos Silva who is primed for a legitimate comeback at the still somewhat young age of 32.

Silva was misguidedly let go by the Red Sox recently, and was unfairly viewed as a scape goat in Seattle and Chicago, a trip back to Minnesota I believe would do the trick. At the very least you have a solid #4/#5 who can fill in for the first few weeks, at best perhaps he could get back to his old Twins self and post a sub 3.90 ERA and become a 200 IP #3 type pitcher, this would allow the Twins to have the flexibility to trade either Pavano or Baker at the deadline.

In addition,Silva would bring a little fire to the team and a different attitude which could help out the clubhouse which recently has been viewed as complacent. Also, last year there were reports were that Mauer was 40 lbs under his playing weight, a silver lining in bringing back Carlos is that Silva could bring back "Taco Bell Tuesday" in the club house and make sure our #1 catcher eats plenty of Nachos Bell Grandes to keep his playing weight where it should be.

He can be had for the minimum, why not take a chance on Silva? These are the type of Low Risk, High Reward signings that Bill Smith basically avoided which led to his downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    He can be had for the minimum, why not take a chance on Silva? These are the type of Low Risk, High Reward signings that Bill Smith basically avoided which led to his downfall.
    He's been cut by his three previous teams. There must be a reason.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

One word....NO!

GO TWINS!

Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Not a bad idea, Dave, but I was really hoping for this guy: http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...ton-astros-cut

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks USAFChief. I needed the laugh.

I am not advocating, but Alfredo Simon may be a better option than Carlos Silva. I am paying attention to how the Red Sox work out their pitching. They have a few guys out of options that may not fit well in the pen if they don't make the rotation. Felix Doubront has a good ERA this spring but he has been hit and may not fit well in the pen. The Red Sox can't afford to be patient with him. It appears (but not certain) he will begin the season in the rotation with a short leash. Andrew Miller is also out of options, He is a certain risk while having more upside than a Simon, Aaron Cook, Silva and Livan.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Not a bad idea, Dave, but I was really hoping for this guy: http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...ton-astros-cut
    Haha, priceless. The Braves snatched him up quickly. The thing is, Livan probably would throw a complete game shutout for that start for the Twins. And no one would know how.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In all seriousness, there is no reason to acquire anyone else. It's going to be Hendriks.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ick... Silva had his time here, Livan had his time here. Let Hendricks and Swarzak fill up the 1-2 starting spots. The bullpen will lose depth with the loss of Swarzak, but in all reality it is a rebuilding year. If fact, we are probably going to have some major starting pitching deficiencies for some years to come. Let the young guys take their licks. If something magical doesn't happen, it will be a long time til our starting pitchers give us a chance to be contenders anyways.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins don't need a 5th starter until April 15, carry an extra position player. That way both Dinkelman and Burroughs make the team and have 10 days to earn/lose their spot.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I will always love Livan... Maybe I'm the only one who remembers this game... but the Twins were playing the Tigers and he threw Cabrera a bunch of junk including a heavy dose of that 60 MPH slow curve. Cabrera popped out with RISP and cursed out Livan the whole way to first. I believe the message was "pitch to me like a man" Classic.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    In all seriousness, there is no reason to acquire anyone else. It's going to be Hendriks.
    And no reason why it shouldn't be. Liam might get 1 or 2 starts. Show off his make up. And let's face it; The likleehood the Twins make the playoffs in 2012 is slim, so might as well audition young talent.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Oh my gosh, this would be more the definition of high risk, low reward. Silva's upside is that of a 7th starter. He was never that good, the definition of a guy that got lucky and turned it into a fortune. What possible upside is there to allowing him to pitch another inning for the Twins? He's done. I think VodkaDave was hitting the vodka a little heavy when he posted this..LOL

glad to see dave is bringing his overbearing homerism here to. new day same **** from good ol dave

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 368 Times in 230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    He's been cut by his three previous teams. There must be a reason.
    Yeah, there's a reason. See if you can find it in his header from baseball-reference:

Carlos Silva

Carlos Silva Position: Pitcher
    Bats: Right, Throws: Right
    Height: 6' 4", Weight: 280 lb.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itstimetotakeit View Post
    glad to see dave is bringing his overbearing homerism here to. new day same **** from good ol dave
    There is no possible way that is really you.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If that's his actual weight and not just his listed weight he might be worth a look.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yeah, there's a reason. See if you can find it in his header from baseball-reference:

Carlos Silva

Carlos Silva Position: Pitcher
    Bats: Right, Throws: Right
    So does that me CC Sabathia would not be worth it if he was available for the minimum?

Position: Pitcher
    Bats: Left, Throws: Left
    Height: 6' 7", Weight: 290 lb.

Which 290 lb is probably 20 lb under his actual weight.