Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Acquire 1B Matt Rizzotti from Phillies

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm always one to look a gift horse in the mouth. He was a little old for AA at 25, and regressed somewhat from the standout numbers he had there as a 24 year old. Given the Phillies' risk at first base with Howard's injury at the end of last season, I'm wondering why that team would give up on him at this moment. Can hope for the best, but right now I'd project him as a .700 OPS guy at the major league level; not chopped liver but if he can only play 1B or cover DH, he's replacement level at best. Hope he tears it up at Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    If I was to read between the lines, it looks to me as this means Parmalee is starting the year with the Twins. They found a guy to take his spot in Rochester. I do agree with the Phillies questions at 1B this year, seems odd they were willing to let him go for cash.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Parmelee was on the big league roster, and getting this guy adds depth. LaVelle is saying he could start at AA or AAA (or technically Extended), but it makes most sense for him to get some time in Rochester with Aaron Bates. I definitely don't think this move was made with any intention of Rizzotti getting to the big leagues. It's about depth.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Curious to know who Philly has at AAA for first basemen that they could let this guy walk for what I'm assuming isn't a huge payout? Not saying his numbers/age/level jump off the page, but good guy for depth at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    If I was to read between the lines, it looks to me as this means Parmalee is starting the year with the Twins. They found a guy to take his spot in Rochester. I do agree with the Phillies questions at 1B this year, seems odd they were willing to let him go for cash.
    Yup. Parmalee gets to start a few times a week between 1B and RF so Morneau never has to play back to back days in the field. Hughes can also spot start at first if Morneau needs a day off when Parmalee is playing RF. What this team lacks in talent it makes up for in flexibility! Not really, but if Gardy wants to micromanage match ups, the versatility of Hughes, Doumit, and Parmalee will give him some options.

He's a big Boy. Probably got him back for less cash than it would have took to sign him originally. I'm probably wrong, but he fills a hole and has a new lease on life. Now, he only has to beat out Morneau, Oops, I mean Parmalee. Anyways, Best wishes to you Matt.

TommyV

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Great AAA player, imo. A fan of this move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    Curious to know who Philly has at AAA for first basemen that they could let this guy walk for what I'm assuming isn't a huge payout? Not saying his numbers/age/level jump off the page, but good guy for depth at AAA.
    Reading some Philly fans and they think this guy would be a worse defensive 1b than Thome.

Everybody's saying "Boring, he's 25, not a prospect", but how could you not like this move for THIS organization. We don't have enough of these guys. After 1/4 of the team is hurt in the dog days of summer, maybe it would be nice to see a "Jack Cust" clone swinging for the fences, instead of Rene Tosoni flailing away at the ball. Plus, Nelson Cruz was a "garbage 4A hitter"...every once in awhile the experts are wrong. This guy raked at every chance he was given, and there was no need to fast track him because they had Howard in the majors.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    This guy raked at every chance he was given, and there was no need to fast track him because they had Howard in the majors.
    Every chance he was given, yes. But one of the chances he was not given by age 25 was "AAA". Have to wonder why. Defense sounds a likely culprit. Having a DH-only profile really limits roster flexibility for many teams, such as 2012 Minnesota with the lingering health questions.

I do like the move in terms of Rochester alone, and there is also nothing wrong with having a guy in the organization with serious home run power, in case he's able to translate it to the higher levels. If he does defy what I think to be the odds (from looking only at minor league stats) it could be a good pickup, for a solid five year major league career for instance, and in the meantime the investment is low.

If Rizotti really is only good as a DH, I suppose it's no surprise why the Phillies didn't move him up very fast. With no DH and not wanting to play him at 1B (the easiest defensive position, mind you), they had no reason to promote him if his D wasn't improving.

It's just too bad that he also hits lefty, but who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if he never sees big league action with the Twins anyway.

Junior Member Rookie PSzalapski's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not take a chance on Rizzotti? John A, doesn't a .900 OPS in A/AA project to something much better than a .700 OPS in the majors? I suppose there could be a reason the Phillies kept him out of AAA--perhaps he can't hit hard breaking balls or something--but you can't see it in his stats. Put him in AAA; either he forces you to promote him or he doesn't. Either way, it doesn't hurt.

IMO, the main consideration was "get Rochester a player that might bring some excitement to their team" after the guy who was supposed to be their guy at 1B (Parmalee) played his way onto the Twins roster.

The Red Wings have been atrocious for the past few years. Right or wrong, there are folks there who don't believe they've been supported by the "Big Club." Pay some cash to get them a guy who may hit some HR's for them ... good move.

If he's a "good" surprise, so much the better.

I'm guessing the Twins think hitting coach Tom Brunansky will work well with Matt Rizzotti.

Maybe the Twins can get Kent Hrbek to help Rizzotti with his glove/foot work at first base.

A .900 by itself doesn't project to anything, really. I'm not interested enough to look up his numbers, but I would guess he has a high strikeout rate, among other negatives. I'd speculate the Phillies just didn't have room for him, didn't project him to ever hit enough MLB-wise, and put out a notice on the MLB Swap Board that they had a guy who was available for best offer. This looks strictly like a Rochester move, and if he's good enough to put up okay numbers at Rochester, the Twins are happy because they want Rochester to like them. Rochester stopped liking the Orioles because the Orioles were giving them the type of crap the Twins also have been giving them the last couple of years. That's an independent business and needs to survive, and it sucks to be dependent on a big league club that's not coming through for you.