Thread: Twins Acquire 1B Matt Rizzotti from Phillies

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Acquire 1B Matt Rizzotti from Phillies

The Twins acquired 26 year old 1B Matt Rizzotti this morning from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for "cash considerations." The 6-5, 255 pounder was the Twins 46th round pick in 2004 out of high school. He was then the Phillies 6th round pick in 2007. Last year at AA Reading, he hit .295/.392/.511 with 34 doubles, 24 homers and 84 RBI. He walks a bunch, and he strikes out a bunch.

The left-handed hitting 1B will likely play in Rochester, along with Aaron Bates at 1B.

More to come.

MattRizzotti.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 03-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Insurance I guess? With Parmelee and Bates I don't know if we really need him.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    A guy behind other guys. Twins could use another power potential bat.
    Another way to try to appease the Red Wings fans.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Doesn't this mean that Parmelee made the team? If Parmalee isn't going to rochester, they needed another AAA option at first base. I think this move seals the deal for Parmelee, he has made the big club and won't be going to Rochester any time soon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Good news for Parmelee lovers. Rizzotti looks like a younger version of Bates, maybe a little more power and similarly high K totals. I like getting these kind of ex prospect 1B though. You never know whey you'll stumble across another Michael Morse or Bryan Lahair.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Seems like a good move.

He was the top ranked hitter in the Eastern League last year by The Baseball Cube. The #2 hitter? Chris Parmalee. The Twins got this guy for cash? I'd say it's a great move. Looks like Terry Ryan is hedging his bets as he sees the Morneau era ending in Minnesota.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    He was the top ranked hitter in the Eastern League last year by The Baseball Cube. The #2 hitter? Chris Parmalee. The Twins got this guy for cash? I'd say it's a great move. Looks like Terry Ryan is hedging his bets as he sees the Morneau era ending in Minnesota.
    Wow!! I had Parmelee ranked as the #4 hitter at New Britain last year (behind Dozier, Benson and Solarte).

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Wow!! I had Parmelee ranked as the #4 hitter at New Britain last year (behind Dozier, Benson and Solarte).
    Your ranking looks like a straight OPS ranking.

Solarte was 12th, Benson was 13th, and Dozier 52nd in the Eastern League in Baseball Cube rankings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/seaso...?Y=2011&L=East
    Last edited by powrwrap; 03-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."