Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Which Free Agent should the Twins have signed?

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which Free Agent should the Twins have signed?

On Bleacherreports.com there is an article that goes over each team and says what kind of free agent they should have pursued.

It did give credit to Hicks for winning the starting CF job out of spring training, but it said we should have gone after a reliable CF, after Hcks slow start.

But would the Twins really do that?

Here's the article
    Free-Agent Moves Each MLB Team Should Have Made This Offseason | Bleacher Report

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,478 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends. Give the Twins a "real" centerfielder and it might become too easy to slot him in every day instead of giving Hicks/Arcia/Benson/etc. a shot at the role.

How important is it for the Twins to win 80 games this season? I'd say "not very", because they did so little to solidify the rotation in favor of rolling the dice a bunch of times on guys who were pretty bad, injured, or both. Sure, it has looked pretty good thus far but there's still 90% of the baseball season to be played.

Even though I was mildly against Hicks starting the season in Minnesota, at some point the team is going to have to let the youngsters take their lumps against MLB pitching. Add too many veterans and that becomes increasingly difficult, especially if the manager is putting a high priority on winning 75 games instead of 70 games.

And, honestly, would we even care about this if Mastrioanni was healthy? Going into the season, most of us were willing to swallow some mediocre-to-bad play in CF if it meant that Hicks, Arcia, & Co got playing time later in the season. If Darin wasn't injured, he'd probably be posting "good enough" numbers as an interim for Hicks later in the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    I refuse to click on bleacher report as a rule. Who did they suggest to sign as a cf stopgap? I thought it could have made sense but I didn't recall any options that were better than Mastro.

Again, who knew that Mastro would turn up lame, Hicks would start the season limping, Benson would literally die, and the other candidates can't find a space on the 40-man, unless you bump bench bat Ramirez. Sign a free-agent? Maybe Juan Pierre, but the Twins didn't need to lock in a body for more than a year, otherwise, just keep one of the two you maybe traded,
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I refuse to click on bleacher report as a rule.
    I won't click them either. Who's idea is it to put everything in a slideshow format? Thank you, no. Every item on a list does not need it's own page.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not advocating either, but I've heard Andres Torres suggested. Probably could have swung a Julio Borbon deal.

I like the Twins approach here, though. Give Hicks a shot to win the job if he has a good spring, and keep the underrated Mastroianni as a cheap fallback option.

(With Mastro's injury, I would have liked to see them be more aggressive in picking up Borbon, though, because we are pretty thin now for CF coverage.)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I won't click them either. Who's idea is it to put everything in a slideshow format? Thank you, no. Every item on a list does not need it's own page.
    One of the WORST TRENDS in web design and development. Half the time, the slideshows don't even generate additional pageviews (and therefore, revenue), as they're an in-page JS/JQ element.

It's as if their sole purpose is to annoy the userbase. Just awful.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,217 Times in 487 Posts
    I give slideshows the same treatment I give obnoxious commercials.

*click*
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I give slideshows the same treatment I give obnoxious commercials.

*click*
    Slideshows are just fine... If you're using actual slides. Of images. Without text.

(okay, so you can use a little text, just don't make it the focus of the piece)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Benson would literally die
    Link, please? I must have this for my adopt-a-prospect page, literally.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    HAha. You guys beat me to the rage against bleacherreport. It is by far the worst thing on the web. But they must have someone working there that is related to someone working at google; I say this because 8 of the top 10 items on all sports searches are from bleacherreport.com. That and every article is written by some yack off living in his parents basement. "Top 10 reasons the Twins will be better than last year." They should write more about "Top 10 reasons I don't get laid: number 1: I write stories on bleacherreport.com"

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,217 Times in 487 Posts
    The Vikings Update forum has bleacherreport on the naughty word filter list to keep people from linking to it. I always find that amusing.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's