@sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: "Opening Day is One Week Away" Roster Projections

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, this is exactly what I think the roster will be. Biggest questions is if Baker and Marquis are going to be starting right away.
    I bent my wookie...

Can't argue with what you have projected, Seth. I can still imagine Gardy going with three catchers (if so, hopefully Towles as #3), probably at the expense of Burroughs. I am excited for the season to begin. If the starting pitching is decent, it should be a good year.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's about right.. Still think that it might be Hollimon over Burroughs. Looks like Baker will be placed on the DL retroactive to 3/27. He will pitch a minor league game tomorrow so it will not count for DL placement
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Seth, I see that the New Britain roster was announced last night (online at the New Britain Herald). Several surprises of who is, and isn't, on the roster. Biggest surprises to me were that Oliveros, Perdomo and French are all on the pitching staff. Also a bit of a surprise that Mastroianni is in New Britain...listed as a second baseman. They only have three outfielders, however, so expect Mastroianni will see some time in the outfield. D. J. Romero is back as their third baseman.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Holy irrational fear of losing a catcher for the day. I don't get Gardy's obsession. If Mauer gets injured in a game where Doumit is DH'ing, you lose what, 2 at bats max where a pitcher has to bat?!?! Who cares!! Call up someone from AAA the next day if needed. The idea of carrying an inferior bat (Drew) just in the off chance they need the pitcher to bat (whom probably can hit better than Butera anyway) is just plain dumb.

Let's be clear here - Seth is a total Twins fan... BUT... He loves the minor leaguers. Kyle Waldrop was a favorite to make the team? Please dude, you have been raving about his ground ball rate since 2009. The guy is cannon fodder. Can we also get over Luke Hughes playing second base? Yeah, I'm sure he will play there which sucks, with an UZR of -100 but be realistic. The guy has shown nothing (until now hitting 50abs) that makes him a starter. He can't field any postion! It's like saying Eddie Rosario will be our starting second baseman of the future because the Twins are going to try them out there.

I would say that the biggest advantage to having a third catcher is it gives flexibility to get Doumit in the lineup more often. I would rather see Doumit getting extra at-bats then Burroughs. Luke Hughes can play third, Casilla (and, in a pinch, Plouffe) can play short, and it seems everyone can fill in at third. I'm for the extra catcher... or, I should say, I'm for Towles as the third catcher. A bat off the bench with some hope for some pop.

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    I agree with sorney. If the twins lose their DH for a few innings is it that big of a deal to move Mauer to catcher for Doumit for a few innings. Its not like they are going to miss the offense. I am sure one of the pitchers could hit a weak grounder to second just as good as Butera could.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Seth, I see that the New Britain roster was announced last night (online at the New Britain Herald). Several surprises of who is, and isn't, on the roster. Biggest surprises to me were that Oliveros, Perdomo and French are all on the pitching staff. Also a bit of a surprise that Mastroianni is in New Britain...listed as a second baseman. They only have three outfielders, however, so expect Mastroianni will see some time in the outfield. D. J. Romero is back as their third baseman.
    Roger, I have all of the minor league rosters as they sit today... I haven't posted them yet because they are subject to change for a couple more days. But you're right, there are several surprises on that roster... but for me, there are biggers surprises at the lower levels, and a TON of players staying for extended spring training.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Kyle Waldrop was a favorite to make the team? Please dude, you have been raving about his ground ball rate since 2009. The guy is cannon fodder.
    Pretty sure I'm not the only one who was saying that he was the favorite for that final spot within the last week, up until his elbow issue.

Here's a story that was just published by Phil Mackey, with lots of quotes: http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/E...th_Twins033012
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 03-30-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added link

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Agreed, a pitcher hitting one or two tomes is mo worse than butera hitting. Really dumb to keep him on the roster for that tiny chance of a problem.

Unfortunately for Waldrop, he had done enough this spring -- and over his last two years in the minor leagues -- to earn a spot on the 25-man roster heading into the season opener - thats the quote I see from Phil Mackey. It's not referenced where he got that assumption. Even though Alex Burnett has sucked all i've heard is they want him for the 7th spot even before Waldrop got hurt. Waldrop stats from 2010/2011 back it up? AAA ball 2011 79IP 84H! Only 43Ks! Laughable! AND despite being a ground ball pitcher he gave up 7 jacks in AAA ball. But he has earned it... NOPE!

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    If the Twins plan on Morneau at DH most days, it really minimizes the need for a third C. If Doumit is in RF or Mauer at 1B, they can move to C without issue, eliminating Gardy's phobia of having a pitcher hit.

So who's the backup shortstop? The starting 2B? What sense does it make to have 6 1Bs and 1 SS? Burroughs spot should go to someone who can play short. Unless they are comfortable with Luke and Trevor being the backups there.

I find it ironic that the Twins have four players listed as 2B who are batting .361 or higher in spring training (including one with only 5 ab), but only one of those (Hughes) is expected to make the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    I find it ironic that the Twins have four players listed as 2B who are batting .361 or higher in spring training (including one with only 5 ab), but only one of those (Hughes) is expected to make the roster.
    Ironic? I don't think so. Contrary to popular belief, its not "All About the O".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsaari View Post
    So who's the backup shortstop? The starting 2B? What sense does it make to have 6 1Bs and 1 SS? Burroughs spot should go to someone who can play short. Unless they are comfortable with Luke and Trevor being the backups there.
    TRyan says Casilla is having a MRI on his right knee, hoping it's not serious.

Sounds like another multi-month DL trip for a guy who has never played 100 games in a season.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    TRyan says Casilla is having a MRI on his right knee, hoping it's not serious.

Sounds like another multi-month DL trip for a guy who has never played 100 games in a season.
    I hope not too. I assume that would mean Dozier's ticket is punched, probably as the starter at second base, (or possibly at shortstop with Carroll moving to second.)

So is it pretty much the case that Revere will be a late inning defensive replacement for Willingham, pinch runner, and backup to Span? Looks like they don't need or want him in right at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast