Thread: Spring training stats

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries

Spring training stats

Ok, this just needs to be said: one cannot rely on spring training stats as predictive value for the real season.

This is probably less true for relief pitchers than anyone else, but I am having a hard time reading things about spring performances as being that relevant (from Parmelee to DeRosa). A: Game stats are not the whole picture with regard to spring training, and B: Spring training is not a good predictive tool for the season. This has been demonstrated before in studies about the matter.

It is fairly, well, stupid, to focus on spring training stats so thoroughly. This is not the Star Tribune's Twins section of barbarically stupid comments, man.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree. You never know what will happen until the season starts.

Speaking of Star Tribune comments: I love how you can't get through one Twins article without someone whining about tax money being for used for Target Field. It was 6 years ago. Get over it!
    I bent my wookie...

Agree with the useless spring stats comments. That being said, what exactly is the reason that everyone has decided Parmelee is having such a great spring? It definitely isn't the stats....

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would disagree about one single stat: BB by pitchers. If you cannot find the plate in ST, you cannot find it in a Beer League game or in Major League game. The opposite is true as well. If you find the plate, you find the plate (but might get hit harder in real games). Similar with making contact about the batters. If you can time a ball in ST, you can time it in a real game. Might pop it up instead of hitting a HR in the bigs, but got the timing going.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98