Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eduardo Escobar Should Start at Short

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eduardo Escobar Should Start at Short

In my latest article, I wrote about the possibility of Eduardo Escobar taking over for Pedro Florimon as the starting shortstop for the Twins. I gave five reasons why I believe Escobar deserves the opportunity to start everyday and why it would benefit the Twins.

"While it may only be a small sample size, Escobar seems to have the clutch factor in him that Florimon doesn’t appear to have."

What do you think Twins' Daily followers? Do I have a legitimate argument or is Escobar merely off to a hot start in limited opportunities?

Eduardo Escoba: Minnesota Twins Must Make Move Most Beneficial to Team

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about the "clutch" factor, I really don't buy into it. That said, I agree he should be starting. He's young enough that he might actually amount to a building block, where Florimon does not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't know about the "clutch" factor, I really don't buy into it. That said, I agree he should be starting. He's young enough that he might actually amount to a building block, where Florimon does not.
    I'm all for Escobar over Florimon, but there's only a 2 year age difference.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I'm all for Escobar over Florimon, but there's only a 2 year age difference.
    While I don't have faith in either amounting to much of anything, two years in a player's mid-20s is pretty significant. It's usually the difference between "peak prime" age 27 and "just out of the minors" age 24-25.

In other words, it's not unreasonable to expect upward trending from Escobar but Florimon is probably who he is at this point.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The age thing is interesting.

i guess my take is that we wait to see if Florimon boots himself out of his job. He just needs to get more consistent defensively. And we'll know a lot more about each offensively in two months, when teams have dissected them a little.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he should start more. Too soon to change the every day guy tho.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    While I don't have faith in either amounting to much of anything, two years in a player's mid-20s is pretty significant. It's usually the difference between "peak prime" age 27 and "just out of the minors" age 24-25.

In other words, it's not unreasonable to expect upward trending from Escobar but Florimon is probably who he is at this point.
    One is 24 and one is 26...and Florimon hasn't played enough in the majors yet to say he is who he is...he hasn't had enough time to adjust to the majors yet.

That's the problem with promoting people so late...they are almost in their prime years when they get promoted and they spend some of their prime years adjusting to the major leagues.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 04-21-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give Florimon more time, but I think eventually the sure-handed Escobar will be the shortstop, especially if his hitting so far (I know, I know SSS) isn't a mirage. If Florimon continues to hit acceptably and steadies in the field, then maybe Eduardo moves over to second.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Starting SS is the only role where Florimon will be a useful major leaguer. He has no professional experience at positions other than shortstop. If he breaks his long time trend in the minors of inconsistency on routine plays, his glove may be good enough to start at SS for a handful of years.

Escobar is two years younger and has an experienced reportedly plus glove at three positions. While his offensive numbers in the minors were poor, they were always in the context of being among the youngest at his level. He is young enough that his bat will grow. Players with good gloves across the infield can have long useful major league roles as utility players. As I said at the time of the trade, these guys are not easy to find.

The Twins have both guys in roles that suit their profile. It is up to them to make the most of he opportunity.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    I think it's safe to say Escobar is so far thriving in this role. Given that Florimon continues to make routine errors at his position, I don't think we'll have to worry about seeing Escobar become the every-day shortstop for this team at some point.

But it's a good point that Florimon's value is dramatically decreased as a bench player because of a lack of versatility.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are both playing very well. FWIW, I think Florimon has better range. Escobar has steadier hands. They have similar arms. Their bats are similar to this point. Escobar should hit better over time because he has a shorter swing and surprising power. But until Florimon regresses offsnsively, I think you stay the course. Every argument to change is based on small samples and marginal issues like a two-year age difference. Range is the most important thing and Florimon has more.

Neither is the shortstop of the future. Either would be a decent stop gap until that shortstop arrives. If it's Santana, that's two years tops. If it's Polanco or Goodrum, that's four years, tops. Neither will have regressed much due to age by then. Neither will be expensive by then.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    They are both playing very well. FWIW, I think Florimon has better range. Escobar has steadier hands. They have similar arms. Their bats are similar to this point. Escobar should hit better over time because he has a shorter swing and surprising power. But until Florimon regresses offsnsively, I think you stay the course. Every argument to change is based on small samples and marginal issues like a two-year age difference. Range is the most important thing and Florimon has more.

Neither is the shortstop of the future. Either would be a decent stop gap until that shortstop arrives. If it's Santana, that's two years tops. If it's Polanco or Goodrum, that's four years, tops. Neither will have regressed much due to age by then. Neither will be expensive by then.
    Great comments by the last three posters here. If Twins fans are waiting for Santana to take over at SS, they can't be encouraged by his early season production at New Britain. He is OPSing .586 while he has committed eight errors already this season.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My biggest concern is whether Eduardo's got a permit for his GUN?! I wouldn't want his arm to become a legal issue. Florimon's sling shot probably isn't an issue.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Right now both guys are hitting so I wouldn't make any significant changes since neither of these guys actually profile as hitters. I'm hoping that Escobar starts getting more playing time but I'm not going to lose any sleep over either of them sitting. It's too bad that Escobar can't snag any playing at 2B but it seems that Carroll will get those starts.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd give Escobar a wide margin simply because if he succeeded, it would rile up WhiteSox fans. I seem to remember AJ paying Escobar a very nice compliment after the trade... I dismissed it as AJ, but this far, Escobar has looked pretty good. I do hope he gets the chance to start, as I'd like to see what he can do with it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Escobar should be the regular SS but he may be too valuable in his current role.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    I definitely think that he should start getting more playing time - who decided he should be a utility guy at the age of 23? First of all, the age difference does matter: 2 years in your mid-twenties can make a huge difference. Second, who says the guy isn't going to hit? He's still developing as a player and has shown a good ability to make contact. I think he needs to play nearly everyday as he could become a steady, serviceable major league player. I would even go so far as to say he should go to Rochester and play everyday if he isn't going to play much up here. You've got Carroll for your utility guy.

In the little bit of playing time he has received, he has shown that he makes all the plays, doesn't make mental errors and is a switch hitter who puts the ball in play, with some pop. That is in stark contrast to Florimon who is surprisingly GoGo like when it comes to the mental side of things.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    So far Florimon hasn't played himself out of the job, but then again, he never really played himself into the job either.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    One is 24 and one is 26...and Florimon hasn't played enough in the majors yet to say he is who he is...he hasn't had enough time to adjust to the majors yet.
    Florimon has 3100 professional PAs that tell us who he is as a player. He's 26 years old and has never hit anywhere. There's no real reason to expect anything from the guy.

Escobar isn't much different with 2700 professional PAs. But he tracked 1-2 years ahead of Florimon in the minors, hitting AAA at age 22 and is still a few years away from his prime. They both posted very pedestrian numbers through the minors but Escobar did it at a younger age and a higher level.

Like I said, I don't expect anything from either player but if you're banking on improvement from one of the two, Escobar is a much better bet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I already said I want Escobar starting, what do you want from me Brock :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast