Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josmil Pinto

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hope they give him AAA time ASAP.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I really hope they give him AAA time ASAP.
    As of today, Pinto is fourth in the league in batting average, RBI, and OPS and sixth (tied) in home runs. He leads the Rock Cats in all of those categories. I would presume he is a lock to be an Eastern League All-Star, and after the All-Star game should go directly to Rochester.

The EL All-Star game is in New Britain and it isn't played until July 10, so I guess that means another four weeks in Connecticut for Pinto.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 06-15-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Pinto has cooled considerably as spring turns into summer but some factors might be in play. Since a blistering Memorial weekend, where Josmil went 8 for 13, he is batting just .245 (14 for 57) and has seen his average drop 19 points. To begin with, it was probably unreasonable to think he would continue the entire season at a .340 clip. Looking at the number over the past 3 weeks, Pinto has continued to hit for power collecting 3 HRs and 4 2Bs. That's half of his hits going for extra bases. He also may not be seeing many pitches to hit either as his prowess is become more widely known around the league. He has drawn an astounding 42 walks on the year, 16 more than anyone else on the team. The addition of Miguel Sano should only help Pinto's numbers as he either sees more balls to hit or has Sano on base to knock in. Sano maybe be hitting below the half Mendoza line but he's the Rock Cat with a higher walk rate than Pinto (6BB in 6 games). I imagine the hitting duo to look a lot like Cabrera/Fielder but again I haven't seen them in person yet. I'd love a first hand report if anyone has seen a Rock Cats game recently.

On the defensive side of the ball, Pinto remains hot. He's splitting time between catcher and DH but maintaining his CS% above .33 having thrown out 11 of 32 would be base stealers.

Great analysis by Boone on Pinto's progression this year with a lot of good discussion in the comments if you missed it. I think the biggest question mark on him is his defense and what position he's going to stick at. The stat sheet cannot tell what kind of defensive catcher he's going to be. He had two errors the other night but what exactly does that mean? He's throwing out 33% of base stealers but how is his recieving and game calling? If anyone can give an eye witness account of his defensive abilities, I'd really appreciate it. The stat sheet doesn't lie but it doesn't tell a whole story either.

For some reason, Pinto thrives on holiday weekends! After a monster Memorial Day, he follow with a fantastic 4th of July weekend with 2 HRs and a 2B. Over the 4 game stretch, Josmil was 6 for 17, knocking in 6 runs along with 3 BBs. Pinto has slowed as of late but he is still 3rd in the Eastern League in AVG, OBP, OPS and Hits. He's 4 off the HR pace with 13 on the year, leads the league in total bases, and is 2nd in RBIs. I'm anxious to see if a call up to AAA will follow the Eastern League All Star game later this week.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking forward to Josmil playing at Rochester and hope they recall him on Sept. 1, if not before. While he hasn't been as red-hot as he was early, from checking the boxscores, it looks like there are very few o-fers and usually when he's hitless, he has drawn a walk. For a catcher to sustain his excellent hitting has to bode well for his future.

Pinto was pretty much the only offense for the East All Stars last night, collecting 2 of the teams 5 hits including a 2nd inning double. Josmil went 2 for 4 DHing and batting clean up, while the rest of the team went 3 for 26 getting shut out 5-0.

Shout out to Trevor May who also represented the Twins well pitching a 1-2-3 2nd inning, with 1 strike out.

Very excited to see whether he can sustain his dominance at the plate and continue to improve behind it. Look out International League, this guy isn't far away.

My first thought at the trade deadline was finally a catcher spot opens for Pinto at Rochester and sure enough, he gets the call up to the on deck circle. Pinto's stats have stabalized at a more sustainable level, batting .308 this year at AA with 14 HR and 68 RBI, the team lead in all 3 categories. I for one am very excited to see what he can do at the next level.

He made his debut last night for the Red Wings at DH, batting 6th. It was not an impressive debut with 3 ground outs to the left side, 2 of which were inning ending double plays. He also struck out in the 9th for his last at bat. The 0 for 4 was certainly not the start we were hoping for but still very exciting to see him get the chance at AAA.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll tell you why I am getting excited about Pinto: he's looking like a right-handed Ryan Doumit. He seems to be challenged at catcher, but good enough to do a little there, but he can hit well enough to find some time in the lineup, but even better, he's right-handed so Mauer can get breaks against lefties and stay fresh. That seems like a good piece for the Twins to have going forward.

Kind of Wilson Ramosish, except older and healthier (though I think there were questions about Ramos' age being correct.)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto hasn't received the attention that Ramos did moving through the system, and he has been older at each level, as John pointed out. Still, his numbers have been better than Ramos' were and he has been considerably healthier. For all the complaints about trading Ramos, the Nationals haven't seen much of him on the field.

I am a bit excited about Pinto as well. The Twins system is fairly well balanced in position players right now, with at least a good prospect at every position. Shortstop is possibly the weakest, and there at least some interesting talents there as well. If Pinto can be an average defensive catcher, and I really don't know that, he becomes a pretty good prospect given his offensive numbers the the last 2 years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Pinto hasn't received the attention that Ramos did moving through the system, and he has been older at each level, as John pointed out. Still, his numbers have been better than Ramos' were and he has been considerably healthier. For all the complaints about trading Ramos, the Nationals haven't seen much of him on the field.

I am a bit excited about Pinto as well. The Twins system is fairly well balanced in position players right now, with at least a good prospect at every position. Shortstop is possibly the weakest, and there at least some interesting talents there as well. If Pinto can be an average defensive catcher, and I really don't know that, he becomes a pretty good prospect given his offensive numbers the the last 2 years.
    He is only 25 - plenty of years left to regret this trade

Pinto returned to form this weekend after a rocky one game start to his triple A career when he went 3 for 4 Friday night and 2 for 5 Saturday also mashing 2 doubles. He also was hit by a pitch and drove in 1 run. On the defensive side of the ball, Pinto caught both games making 1 put out at home and had a throwing error on a ground ball. He was out of the line up Sunday but had a pinch hit ground out in the 9th. The line up is not out for Monday night as of press time.

Overall he is "leading the team" with a .357 average in 14 at bats. He has 1 RBI, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 SO and 1 BB.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he stays in AAA until Doumit is hurt or traded (though I think he gets a callup this September). Worst case, he's Mauer's 2015 platoon partner and occasional DH. He should be a very nice piece for the next run.

The trend of great holiday weekends continued for Josmil as he got his first call up to the Majors over Labor Day weekend. After just 1 month at AAA, Pinto will help fill the catching gap until Mauer returns from injury and hopefully stick it out the rest of the season.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, let's recap his month at Rochester. Pinto batted .314 in 19 games for the Red Wings, collecting 22 hits, including 9 doubles and a home run. His excellent hitting continued at AAA but his production was not as impressive after making the jump. While he collected hits, he only walked twice in 70 at bats while striking out 12 times. His slugging was a more than respectable .486 but his OBP slumped to a meager .333. He scored only 6 runs and drove in just 6 himself. The production numbers are also very dependant on his team around him so I'm not concerned with the lack of runs but his 12 to 2 K to BB ratio is could spell trouble on his ascent to Minneapolis.

As for his month in the Majors, it couldn't be starting much better. He's collected 6 hits in his first 9 at bats including 2 doubles and a walk. His slash line high a top the Twins leaderboard (granted just 2 games of work) looks a little funny at .667/.700/.889. And his 1.589 OPS is obviously unsustainable but fun to see nearly doubling Joe Mauers OPS (the actual Twins leader). He went 4 for 5 in the game last night including a 12th inning double and later came in to score to secure the win.

It's very exciting to have followed Pinto all year and to now see him reach the Majors. Hopefully he can continue to turn some heads and give himself a real chance to make the squad out of Spring Training next year.

Pinto clobbered his first big league home run Friday night, leading off the bottom of the 9th inning against the Blue Jays. His solo shot brought the Twins within one against Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen. The ball was crushed right over the 411 sign in center field sailing out to the deepest part of the park. Pinto conitues his hot big league start at the dish still batting .526 in 6 games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12