Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Brett Walker, 3rd round 2012 draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I also have no problem with Walker starting last year in the appy league or in CR this year. I'm just not going to get really excited about the numbers that he's putting up. Although he's really hot right now.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    kab21 - I agree that Walker is not worthy of Top 10 Prospect status. I also don't care if a prospect makes his MLB debut at 23 or 25 years old. However long it takes to get the job done once you arrive. If I asked you to tell me the debut age for Albert Pujols; Josh Hamilton; Prince Fielder; Ryan Braun; or Tori Hunter; - could you without looking it up? Some maybe, but probably not, because all that matters is that you produce once you get there. If Walker spent each year in his respective levels - he would be only 25 in his debut. Most 25 year olds should be able to play at least 7-10 more years at a productive level. My point is "age only becomes an issue - when it becomes an issue" Profound I know - All that matters is working at being the best at each level you arrive at (A-A+-AA-AAA-MLB). If you do that regardless of age - You will be productive and fans should / will forget about age.
    Very well stated, and Walker is not a Top 10 guy for me either... yet. As someone with the Twins once told me, their job is not to get them to the big leagues quickly. It's for them to be ready and prepared when they get there.

I too could care less if a guy debuts as a 22 year old or a 25 years old. I find it funny when people say that Dozier was old for his level of competition but he debuted in the big leagues at 24. Kyle Gibson will likely be 25 and that's only because Tommy John delayed his debut by about 2 years. Now, Hall of Famers may make it when they're 20 or 21 or so, but Jamey Carroll made it to the big leagues when he was 28 and has been around for 12 years.

Mauer made it at 20... he's a Hall of Famer. Arcia made it at 21. I hope Colabello makes it at 29!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He wasn't very good the first 10 or so. He's been tremendous the last 5-8 or so. Let's let him sustain that for a little while.
    Has he been channeling Aaron Hicks?

I'm with you on the age thing. Give any player a season or maybe even two to mess up and learn from; coaches' input, more than stats, should rule. Around season three, comparing batting stats and age and league level starts to matter. By age 26 or so, no more scholarships - either he produces or he's gone. For college players making the transition to pros, this gives a short window. For high school age guys coming in, there's a very long period where it may not be clear whether he is worth a 40-man spot or not.

Remembering back, when I said top 10....I think I had him10/11 before we got Meyer/May, so I stand by top 15. I wish they would push some draftees more in their draft yr, but ELIZ was fine. MN tends to handle college guys as slowly as HS draftees, when they are separate types of players as far as maturity. As streaky as he is, he needs maybe another month to prove this week isn't a fluke.....but guys with MUCH less numbers get promoted. Im not saying rush a prospect, but when a guy has shown he can easily handle a level...get him promoted rather than goin by age/level/etc rather than waiting for a guy to fail to justify your decision to wait a full season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Walker lasted until the third round because he has significant vulnerabilities in his approach/swing. His power has never been in question. There's nothing wrong with where the Twins have assigned him (and I liked the pick a lot) - it just means that his numbers have to be taken in context.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Walker lasted until the third round because he has significant vulnerabilities in his approach/swing. His power has never been in question. There's nothing wrong with where the Twins have assigned him (and I liked the pick a lot) - it just means that his numbers have to be taken in context.
    So did David Ortiz. Walker is the same height and frame, I hope they give him every chance to rise through the minors, his RH bat might be a good fit at DH in Target Field.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    So did David Ortiz. Walker is the same height and frame, I hope they give him every chance to rise through the minors, his RH bat might be a good fit at DH in Target Field.
    No Doubt, but I think he has a little more versatility than Ortiz. A better athlete and better looking speciman at same age. As far as levels and expectations (That's up to management - not fans)

Most people evaluate players - By production and consistency. Success in the minors is about dominating your currrent level and improving in areas your organization expects you to. Walker has cut down his strike out rate to 22% as of todays game. Last year he was at 33%. The kid deserves credit for that (for now). His average has also improved by 40+ points in the process. It's all about development and he seems to be working in right direction.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    No Doubt, but I think he has a little more versatility than Ortiz. A better athlete and better looking speciman at same age. As far as levels and expectations (That's up to management - not fans)

Most people evaluate players - By production and consistency. Success in the minors is about dominating your currrent level and improving in areas your organization expects you to. Walker has cut down his strike out rate to 22% as of todays game. Last year he was at 33%. The kid deserves credit for that (for now). His average has also improved by 40+ points in the process. It's all about development and he seems to be working in right direction.
    I was going to say "and a better athlete" (at least by my eye test), but I thought it might end up in online dispute. I'll go with your assessment, but I'm not sure yet about how versatile he might end up being. Regardless, excellent point about opportunities for improvement- a 22% K rate for a power-hitting DH would be more than acceptable (Ortiz's career K rate is 18.1%)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I understand they may be the same size, and you are looking at a 'best case scenario; but I don't think you can say that Ortiz had Walker's 'significant vulnerabilities in his swing'. Ortiz hit .332 with an OBP of .403 as a 19 year old in rookie ball and at 20 hit .322 with an OBP of .390 in the MWL.

Senior Member Triple-A
    DOH! I lost my update on Walker last night... the highlights included the following points:

1) I agree that Walker should be the Twin's ML hitter of the week.
    2) In 5 games during the week of 4/21 to 4/27, he was 9/22 with 1D, 1T, 5HR and 16RBI (.409/.480/1.227; OPS 1.707!).
    3) He walked 3 times and struck out only 4 times.His torrid week has rocketed him to the top of the MWL in HR and RBI (as of 4/28).
    4) His strikeout rate for the season is now <20% (19.2%), which is more than acceptable.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From baseball America's daily prospect round up regarding Mr.Walker:
    Minnesota has the best position prospect duo in baseball (Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton) off to scorching starts, but the Twins are getting plenty of early production elsewhere in the farm system too. Walker, a third-round pick last year out of Jacksonville, homered in four straight days—including a two-homer game on Friday—before his streak ended yesterday. Walker, who led the Rookie-level Appalachian League with 14 home runs in 58 games last year, is hitting .297/.373/.608 in 20 low Class A Midwest League games this season. The most impressive part of what Walker’s done so far isn’t just showing that he can hit the ball a long way—we already knew he had outstanding raw power—it’s that he’s shown the aptitude to make adjustments to get to his power in games with greater frequency.

Link below:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/monday-prospect-notebook-anthony-ranaudos-resurgence/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    It's a nice start but Walker shouldn't have been top ten based on a college player beating up on rk ball pitchers. He also posted a 30% K rate against them.

So far this year he's looking awesome but he should move up because he's a college player in low A ball. This brings up another issue. Do you promote Walker or Buxton first?
    Buxton

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This comes up every time the Twins draft a college player, with a few exceptions (e.g Levi Michael, Chuck Knoblauch). The Twins start college position players in the Appy League. They typically go from there to the MWL. If they dominate, the go to the FSL that year. Most don't go there until their third years. So they are old for every level they play in. Their projections should not be that greatly affected by their age/level pairings.

Also, college ball is not uniform. If you play for Jacksonville College, you will not have played against top competition. If you play for Miami, you will have. I recall the knock on Danny Valencia was he followed the standard Twins progression, but he came from a major college. Walker played in a lesser conference.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    He was the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) District Player of the Year Award in 2011. He won over college players from the following states: District III: Kentucky, Tennessee,Mississippi, Alabama, and yes Florida; The writers must have thought enough of his performance to warrant his play, Big Time.

It is true that he played in a lesser conference, but he did play the Florida States 5 games(.400+ BA with 2 HRs and 4 Doubles) and Floridas 3 games (defeated them when they were number #1 in country) and numerous other ranked teams, to name a few. The question is how did he do against Top competition. He did well become a Semi Finalist for the Golden Spike and Howser Award. Just glad the Twins took a chance on him and could see the upside. I'm a believer - Dude performs his best against the best..........:

Baseball America | Blog | Baseball America Draft Blog | Stats For Top 200 College Hitters On Friday Nights

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Likely no surprise, but Walker was named the Midwest League Player of the Week for his past week's performance.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From BA's weekly Ask BA article on walker:

The Twins have the minors’ best power prospect in third baseman Miguel Sano, who led the low Class A Midwest League with 28 homers last year and already has slugged 10 this year in 29 games in high Class A. He might not be the best overall prospect in their system, however. That honor may belong to Buxton, BA’s top-rated player in the 2012 draft.

While Buxton should have at least plus power, he doesn’t have as much raw juice as Walker, Minnesota’s third-round pick last June. In fact, Twins scouts thought Walker had the best raw power in the entire 2012 draft. He helped back that belief by smashing 14 homers at Rookie-level Elizabethton in his pro debut last summer.
    Walker has hit six more longballs in the MWL, where he’s batting .288/.351/.558. He might have been a first-round pick if not for his tendency to pile up strikeouts, but he has cut down his whiffs from one every three at-bats last year to one every four in 2013. He has solid speed and a fringy arm, though ultimately it’s his bat that will determine his future.

Link below:

Ask BA: How Do Draft's Top Bats Stack Up? - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Another blurb about Walker from BA, this time from Tuesday's prospect notebook:
    Tuesday Prospect Notebook: Matt Davidson Gets Back On Track - BaseballAmerica.com

Adam Brett Walker, rf, Twins.
    Walker’s power made him a third-round pick in last year’s draft, and the 21-year-old hasn’t disappointed in taking on the hostile environs of the low Class A Midwest League. The Cedar Rapids right fielder homered for the seventh time in 28 games last night, moving him into a tie for the MWL lead. The rest of his game is less refined, but after a slow start, he’s managed to hit .338/.400/.688 over his last 77 at-bats. He’s hitting .303/.361/.596 on the season overall and leads the MWL in RBIs (32).

Blog Entries
    Adam Brett Walker II - Leads the Kernels & Midwest League in Home Runs (7) & RBIs (33). But did you know that he leads the Kernels in Triples (4) and is 2nd in the Midwest League in Triples as well. A Complete Athlete!! Also batting .314 as of May 10th.
    31 Games: 7 HRs / 4 Triples / 8 Doubles / 33 RBI - If you multilpy for full season (x4) ....
    124 Games: 28 HRs / 16 Triples / 32 Doubles / 132 RBI - Now thats a season!
    Keep Grinding Kid

Senior Member Triple-A
    I think one of my favorite things about Walker is that he is that he is a stat-sheet filler.

He is not just an all-or-nothing type hitter. He has only 1 HR in 9 May games, but has still managed to generate a triple slash of .349/.364/.628 by hitting 5D and 4T. He also was successful in 3SB attempts. The only negative is that he did not have a single walk... but if you are hitting .350 I say 'grip it and rip it'!

After Adams mothers day of 4-7 w/2doubles 2HR 7 rbi.....he sits at
    .321 (12th in MWL)/.369/.664(1st in MWL--Buxton only other over .600) for 4th in OPS w/1.033.
    He leads lg w/9HR & 40RBI , 7th w/10 doubles, 2nd w/4 triples, tied for 2nd w/26runs scored BUT only tied for 20th in Ks w/31(3rd on team)
    Still stunned that when Ft Myers needed an extra OF, they called up his U of Jax teammate Jonathon Murphy (19th round last yr) from EST. Murphy struggled in GCL last yr but jumped over ELIZ/MWL to go directly to Ft Myers.
    He has played well but this makes NO sense, as many will say Walker isnt ready, but Murphy is???
    Nothing left for Walker to prove at low A....no need to wait till All Star Gm to appease fans in Iowa.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast