Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Mark DeRosa

  1. #1
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mark DeRosa

    Why not take a chance on DeRosa this year? Could provide solid stability as a back up 3rd baseman and possible starting SS/2B if one of Carroll or Alexi fail.

    I'm thinking a trade of Towles and Guerra for him would get it done?

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,917
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Interesting name, but is Derosa (at this stage of his career) a better option at 2B or 3B than Hughes? And the backup plan for Casilla/Carroll would appear to be Dozier (and maybe Nishioka). If the Twins offered just Guerra for Derosa, I'd be shocked if the Nationals said No.

  3. #3
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    .385 .556 .538 thus far in Spring Training, I'd prefer to just bring him in and cut Carroll altogether.

  4. #4
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In addition I think DeRosa would provide some excellent veteran presence and could even see him taking over coaching duties from Gardy when it was all said and done. Still think he has plenty of years left of playing though, Ideally you give him
    80 games at SS
    20 at 3B
    30 at 2B
    15 in the OF
    and 15 or so at DH

    .900 or so OPS with 20-25 HR would do wonders for this lineup, plus he could help get Valencia to actually mature a bit and not be such a clubhouse issue.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    333
    Like
    13
    Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    You mean the DeRosa who has only gotten within 100 points of a .900 OPS, twice in his career, and missed by a mere 247 points last year?

    That DeRosa?

  6. #6
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's due, and check out his spring line, the guy would do fantastic in this lineup, and once again look at the people he'd be replacing. Plus the veteran leadership could help the malcontents on the team like Valencia, Alexi and Span.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    96
    Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    I thought we picked up Carroll for that veteran leadership already?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    In addition I think DeRosa would provide some excellent veteran presence and could even see him taking over coaching duties from Gardy when it was all said and done. Still think he has plenty of years left of playing though, Ideally you give him
    80 games at SS
    20 at 3B
    30 at 2B
    15 in the OF
    and 15 or so at DH

    .900 or so OPS with 20-25 HR would do wonders for this lineup, plus he could help get Valencia to actually mature a bit and not be such a clubhouse issue.
    Bahhahahhhahhhhhaa

    Good luck with that one....

  9. #9
    Member Single-A dave_dw's Avatar
    Posts
    73
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    .385 .556 .538 thus far in Spring Training, I'd prefer to just bring him in and cut Carroll altogether.
    Do you realize how meaningless 26 at bats is? Here's an example:

    From May 28-June 10, Drew Butera had 25 at bats. His line over that period of time was .360/.407/.640.

    LOOK AT THAT LINE! We might as well just start him and trade Mauer!

    Those great 25 ABs didn't stop Butera from being the worst hitter in baseball last year and finishing with an unbelievable line of .167/.210/.239.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaDave View Post
    In addition I think DeRosa would provide some excellent veteran presence and could even see him taking over coaching duties from Gardy when it was all said and done. Still think he has plenty of years left of playing though, Ideally you give him
    80 games at SS
    20 at 3B
    30 at 2B
    15 in the OF
    and 15 or so at DH

    .900 or so OPS with 20-25 HR would do wonders for this lineup, plus he could help get Valencia to actually mature a bit and not be such a clubhouse issue.
    DeRosa was NEVER a major league capable SS. That's the reason the Braves moved him off SS way back when. He doesn't have the range for 2B anymore. He'd probably be ok defensively at 3B and 1B, as a fill in when you're short people. But there's no reason to expect him to hit more than .250/.300/.350. He's been hurt a lot lately and no reason to expect him to suddenly get healthy. There is no way he'll get anywhere near .800 OPS or even 15 hr this year.

    Carroll plays a good defensive SS/2B and has proven to be quite excellent at getting on base and taking pitches. That signing might have been the best signing of the entire major leagues all off-season.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    396
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Didn't we make a push for DeRosa a few years ago but he didn't want to come here?
    I bent my wookie...

  12. #12
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    Troll, troll, troll your boat...

  13. #13
    Banned Single-A
    Posts
    97
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okobojicat View Post
    DeRosa was NEVER a major league capable SS. That's the reason the Braves moved him off SS way back when. He doesn't have the range for 2B anymore. He'd probably be ok defensively at 3B and 1B, as a fill in when you're short people. But there's no reason to expect him to hit more than .250/.300/.350. He's been hurt a lot lately and no reason to expect him to suddenly get healthy. There is no way he'll get anywhere near .800 OPS or even 15 hr this year.

    Carroll plays a good defensive SS/2B and has proven to be quite excellent at getting on base and taking pitches. That signing might have been the best signing of the entire major leagues all off-season.
    Carroll best signing of the off season in all of baseball?

    Wow. Just. Wow.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,300
    Like
    1,363
    Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Hee hee...well played Dave.

  15. #15
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,917
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Troll, troll, troll your boat...
    This... or Vodka Dave is Mark Derosa.

  16. #16
    If by the grace of God DeRosa is available, you go get him. Obviously.
    Joe Mauer should hit more home runs. JMO.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,655
    Like
    26
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    DeRosa would be a great pick -up, which is not to say that DeRosa is great.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

  18. #18
    Now that Dave has posted a DeRosa thread... Twins daily is now a real twins message board.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,400
    Like
    161
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This... or Vodka Dave is Mark Derosa.
    Oh it's Dave... He's put up many Derosa threads over at BYTO...

  20. #20
    ain't this schtick getting old dave?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.