Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Colabello

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those numbers can't be avoided much longer. I actually like Wilkin Ramirez, but something's got to give here.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    but something's got to give here.
    Might it be the young OF/1B who has only started 3 of the last 8 games?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Might it be the young OF/1B who has only started 3 of the last 8 games?
    Well that would be a terrible idea right now. The Twins did their best to ruin Parmelee last year, and it is a bit precarious again this year for him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Well that would be a terrible idea right now. The Twins did their best to ruin Parmelee last year, and it is a bit precarious again this year for him.
    I completely agree on all points, but his recent playing time would seem to indicate we're inching towards it. Something at the MLB level has to give. If Hicks, Arcia, and Willingham are going to play, I'd rather see Parm in AAA with Colabello as a bench option. Maybe Parm comes back for good if/when a mid-season trade takes place.

Ramirez has been okay, but I wouldn't mind seeing Colabello replace him outright now.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Future MLB All-Star or not, at least he's definitively better than both of them!
    Don't get me wrong, Colabello making the ML roster would be a spectacular story. Who, but anyone with a heart of stone wouldn't be pulling for a guy with his story, who hung in there for years in ignominy, gets to play for his ancestral home on the world stage, and is poised to finally get a MLB call-up just short of his 30th birthday. I just wanted to point out, if you look at the batting leaders in the top 10 of the IL, they are virtually all AAAA suspects, not prospects. Remember,Clete Thomas was #1 in the League at one point a couple weeks ago.

Again, in a season that the Twins punted away anyway, I'd love to see what Colabello can do. I just want to be realistic about the long odds of him having it work out.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More likely that he is Bernardo Brito or Mark Funderburk than Garrett Jones. However, I believe he would be a decent fit as occasional RH DH and bench bat. It looks like he is pretty close to brutal in the field.

I really would like to see Parmelee thrive and I think it is in him, but when the best part of your game as a 1B/RF is your defense, and you are Parmelee's size, you have to worry about your major league future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking Randy Ruiz -- who actually did have a nice little run one season for the Blue Jays.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I was thinking Randy Ruiz -- who actually did have a nice little run one season for the Blue Jays.
    I was going to mention that guy, but just couldn't remember his name and I don't have any reference materials at work. Ruiz, Funderburk and Brito were all guys that hit RH, really couldn't play a position and lit up minor league pitching as older players (IIRC).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'd love to see what Colabello can do. I just want to be realistic about the long odds of him having it work out.
    I think we're all on the same page with you here. The odds of him becoming even an average regular are nothing short of long, but we can hope... [add extra dramaticism] and if we have hope, we have a chance.

As pointed out in today's minor league report...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    The other thing worth mentioning is that Colabello's jack was off Chris Archer, the Ray's #4 prospect, and #43 in all of baseball (according to MLB.com). That means Colabello has hit his 3 homers in the past two days off of the #3 and #4 (and #42 and #43) prospects for the Rays. Pretty impressive.

After Sunday's game
    3rd in BAve .361
    5th in OBP .419
    2nd in SLgg .657
    2nd in OPD 1.076
    1st in doubles 17
    Tied first in HR 11
    3rd in RBI 34
    1st in TB 111

Team is not a contender & is on pace to lose 89gms. They can use some offensive help for sure...15th runs 24th in slgg
    If he was 5yrs younger, he'd be here so this proves how MN moves people around due to age, not performance.
    Not sure who he replaces tho....have to go w/Parm. Ramirez isnt a major leaguer either but ya need a backup CF.
    Find a way Twins.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    After Sunday's game
    3rd in BAve .361
    5th in OBP .419
    2nd in SLgg .657
    2nd in OPD 1.076
    1st in doubles 17
    Tied first in HR 11
    3rd in RBI 34
    1st in TB 111

Team is not a contender & is on pace to lose 89gms. They can use some offensive help for sure...15th runs 24th in slgg
    If he was 5yrs younger, he'd be here so this proves how MN moves people around due to age, not performance.
    Not sure who he replaces tho....have to go w/Parm. Ramirez isnt a major leaguer either but ya need a backup CF.
    Find a way Twins.
    I'm coming over to your side, guys. Day after day, the guy has no plate protection to speak of behind him, and he continues to mash, day after day. His split versus AAA "older pitchers" isn't as good as his overall numbers, but he's still hitting a very decent .874 OPS against them.

I'm seeing a role for him like Thome had, a DH from the right side. You're right greengoblin, the Twins should find a way, get the CF situation resolved, make a trade.....and then get it done
    Last edited by jokin; 05-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly I have been skeptical about him all season but he keeps getting hits, runs, hrs, XBH...... You cant ignore how well hes doing, I say they give him a shot. It couldnt hurt, I mean the Twins arent a playoff team anyway.

With 4gms in ATL, it wouldnt hurt to have another bat.
    Send Pedro down & call up Colabello to PH & address the 5th starter on SAT w/Gibson is back.
    BALT just called up 28yr old Danny Valencia cause he was also tearing up AAA but w/Machado @3B, CDavis @1B....they know he earned it & made it happen. Just like BALT called up a 20yr old AA kid without great numbers rather than having him face pitchers for a 3rd/4th time.
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 05-19-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    With 4gms in ATL, it wouldnt hurt to have another bat.
    Send Pedro down & call up Colabello to PH & address the 5th starter on SAT w/Gibson is back.
    BALT just called up 28yr old Danny Valencia cause he was also tearing up AAA but w/Machado @3B, CDavis @1B....they know he earned it & made it happen. Just like BALT called up a 20yr old AA kid without great numbers rather than having him face pitchers for a 3rd/4th time.
    Excellent points gg. I've been railing on the Machado thing for some time. The Birds just look at things differently than the Twins- even with ex-Twins! Just look at the examples of how many Twins castoffs are in the organization, contributing (Casilla, Burnett), starting (Hardy), resurrecting (Ford), others patiently waiting for another chance (Valencia and Pridie were/are both tearing up the IL).

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Not quite. The reason younger guys are getting looks is because of their upside, especially in terms of how they can help the club in the long run. I don't think anyone in the FO sees Colabello as a solid, future fixture for this team.

You're right- if he were 24, with his athletic prime ahead of him, there's a good chance he plays ball at the big league level. It's about upside though- not age. The Twins are trying to evaluate prospects with potentially higher upside who can make a longer impact than Colabello can.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and his story. I hope to see him up soon. With Parmelee's prolonged lack of production, maybe the FO has gotten a better read on him and can move Colabello up for the time being. I have a feeling we see him soon.

Blog Entries
    On stuff and an address to B Richard (you have a cool as hell avatar so I am not going to be mean):

Colabello is in his prime RIGHT NOW. There's maybe a two-three year window of this production, yes. But that means that he isn't someone they have to treat as a "play everyday guy" at all. He is, quite clearly, the best bench bat this team has at its disposal right now and I don't hate on Wilkin Ramirez at all. I wish that pitchers were men still and that the Twins could simply have eleven of them.

I will say one thing that Colabello may provide--coverage for a Morneau trade. They wouldn't be replacing Morneau with garbage, and Parmelee and Colabello could platoon. There's no rushing Sano next damn month to the bigs to play first--they could let him keep trying at 3B for another year. I will honestly say that I really don't know if there would be much difference in the performances for the Twins in 2013 between Colabello and Sano. In 2014, the gap is big. By 2015, its enormous. But the short-term has value.

On the other hand, maybe the Twins keeps Morneau and try to get something decent (not great, but not minimal) for Parmelee. The same story still applies for Colabello.

Finally, I like having pinch hitters who I can have at least a 10% of seeing smack a bomb. Wilkin doesn't do that. Colabello could.

Hear Gardy talkin about Colabello tonight & saying how much he deserves a promotion, but they dont know he'd play since they have Doumit to DH. REALLY!!!! Doumit is a solid backup C, but not a great enough hitter to warrant 500 DH ABs. The everyday ABs bein given to Parmellee/Doumit right now are maddening, esp when its at expense of Arcia.

Blog Entries
    Hear Gardy talkin about Colabello tonight & saying how much he deserves a promotion, but they dont know he'd play since they have Doumit to DH. REALLY!!!! Doumit is a solid backup C, but not a great enough hitter to warrant 500 DH ABs. The everyday ABs bein given to Parmellee/Doumit right now are maddening, esp when its at expense of Arcia.
    An absurdity. It's very clear what to do: Send Hicks and Arcia down. Promote Colabello and Richardson (figure out the 40-man issue easily). Give Hicks and Arcia the near max plate appearances in AAA as possible. In the meantime weight the value of Colabello, Ramirez, and maybe even Dozier or Florimon, and then make a decision. Bring Hicks and Arcia up and just fix the roster as one sees fit.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wilkin Ramirez was pretty impressive, with 15 homers last year in just 370 at bats in Rochester.. just tells you how impressive Colabello has been that he's got 12 homers in about 170 at bats.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit is a career .772 OPS. It was .781 last year and .830 the year before. I want to see Colabello get an opportunity as much as anyone, but there's no guarantee he would come anywhere near those numbers in the big leagues. If Colabello comes up, it would be as a part timer. Occasional 1B. Once in a while DH. Sometimes a pinch hitter. There could be some platooning involved, of course, though i think Doumit's stronger side is batting right-handed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast