Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Beresford

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is James Beresford looking to be a starter for the Twins at some point, or more like Jamey Carroll? How fast is he?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have said utility infielder all the way until this year. Starting shortstop is not out of the realm of possibility.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Shane. It's going to depend on what he does with the bat in the future and what opportunities he receives. He's obviously hitting well in his second year of AA ball. Will he hit that well immediately upon promotion to AAA or, eventually, MLB? And, if not, will he get an opportunity to struggle a bit at first and then improve?

It's one thing for the Twins to give a "top prospect" like Aaron Hicks some rope for a while and stick with him for a couple of years, but will they be that patient with someone like Beresford? Hard telling.

One thing he has going for him is that he can play around the infield and that alone has some value.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    I agree with Shane. It's going to depend on what he does with the bat in the future and what opportunities he receives. He's obviously hitting well in his second year of AA ball. Will he hit that well immediately upon promotion to AAA or, eventually, MLB? And, if not, will he get an opportunity to struggle a bit at first and then improve?

It's one thing for the Twins to give a "top prospect" like Aaron Hicks some rope for a while and stick with him for a couple of years, but will they be that patient with someone like Beresford? Hard telling.

One thing he has going for him is that he can play around the infield and that alone has some value.
    Given that Dozier has had this much time because of his ability to play defense (at second), I expect Beresford will get a good chance to stick with the team.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    James got word today that he's being promoted to Rochester.

IMO, it's about damn time.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

This is fantastic news. It's great that Eddie Rosario will get a chance everyday at New Britain, and James absolutely deserves a chance to hit against AAA pitching.

I think people that haven't watched Beresford are going to be quite impressed with his glove. And if his at-bats in AAA are like they were this season in AA, he's going to turn a few heads.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Good luck James, as his baseball history has shown he will at least give AAA all he can, go with the flow mate and enjoy

Good start for James at Rochester, safe hit, BB & RBi and as expected no fielding errors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With all the talk about Sano, Rosario and Buxton being promoted or not, this is my favorite promo. Very under the radar for most people unless you have seen him play. If you have seen him then you probably have devoloped an affinity for him. I remember seeing this skinny little bandy rooster charging around the infield in Beliot totally in charge and making all the plays, wondering if he could hit enough to make it to AA. Can he be a Starting SS in the Majors? I don't know, I still look at his raw skills and wonder how he does it. You look at Buxton and Sano and you see this terrific athelete that has so much talent and ability that you are in awe of them. You look at Beresford and are underwhelmed and then he does what he does best, play baseball. Beresford is a baseball player, he would not make it as a Linebacker or Wideout in the NFL like Sano or Buxton could if they were so inclined. But Beresford looks at home and in his element in the middle infield of a baseball field. That has now been evident at A Ball and AA. Don't count out this guy, he has a knack for rising up above the low expectations placed on him. Great to see in him AAA, watch out Dozier and Carroll. Eddie Rosario might not replace you this year, James Beresford looks willing and maybe ready to do so.

These comments could not be more accurate, having known James as a baseballer from the age of 8 he has always expressed this attitude in his baseball career, making the majors or not he will give you and his team 100% all the time

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    James has not gotten off to a terrific start after his first week or so in Rochester with just two hits in 14 at-bats. He has, however, played error-free ball at 2B. He's played in just four of the Wings' games since joining the team.

I'm afraid that with four middle infielders on the Red Wings roster right now, James is probably going to find himself in that unenviable position of not getting consistent playing time. It's just the reality of minor league baseball life that you have to re-prove yourself at every new level and that often means having to find a way to perform at high levels even with uneven playing time. Unless/until there are further roster moves, James is probably going to find himself in that position.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    As I kind of expected, Beresford has been splitting time at 2B with Olmeda for the Wings. James went 2 for 3 in last night's loss bringing his BA to .233 since his promotion.

He's appeared in just 10 games in the 2 1/2 weeks since his promotion and at least one of those games was as a late inning replacement.

Another multi hit game last night, James is batting .407 over last 10 games, he is still not getting regular games and has not been played at SS, as would be expected though in the field he is still excellent with only 1 error in 18 games
    Last edited by Waverley Wildcat; 07-09-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Average fell for 'last 10 games' to .393 with 3 hits today, now batting 20 hits from 21 games at Rochester, still getting splinters on the bench consistently.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    In Beresford's last 10 games (which is really only just 8+ games, since two of his past 10 appearances have been off the bench), he is hitting .393 with an OBP of .438 and an OPS of .866. There's just one extra base hit (a double) in his stat line, but his plate discipline seems to be improving. Prior to this 10-game stretch, James had 1 BB and 8 Ks since joining the Red Wings. Through the past 10 games, he has three walks and only 4 Ks.

Overall, he's hitting .323 since joining the Red Wings, which trails only Chris Colabello (unless you want to count Trevor Plouffe's .333 in his 4 games with Rochester this season).

It's true that he's still not playing every day, but the Rochester roster is carrying SEVEN infielders (only 2 of which are first basemen), so until the organization gives Gene Glynn a more balanced roster to work with, all of the infielders are going to spend more time on the pine than they'd like, I would imagine.

The important thing is that he's now making the most of the opportunities he's getting. He's gotten at least one hit in his past six starts and has more than one hit in four of those starts.

He also has just two errors since joining Rochester.

Being a long way away from the centre of Baseball I need some educating in the thinking of Twins baseball, can someone (Steth, SD, Shane etc) give me a qualified thought on why James is on the bench so much and maybe why no matter New Britain had, and now Rochester have, in the infield roster he does not get to play SS

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea why Beresford isn't getting any time at SS, but he's really not been on the bench all that much lately when you consider how many middle infielders the Red Wings are carrying on their roster.

(Also keep in mind, the Red Wings had no games during the All Star Break on July 15-17.)

Consider, in the past ten Rochester games, Beresford has played 6, Olmeda 5, Farris 1 (though he's played some OF too). Bernier played 4 games before being promoted to Minnesota and Escobar has played 4 since coming down to Rochester, so if you count them as one guy, they have a combined 8 games in the Red Wings last 10.

Escobar and, now, Bernier are both on the Twins' 40 man roster and the organization is going to have to make a decision in the off-season concerning whether they stay there. It's not really surprising to me that they'd be making sure those two guys are in the line up almost every day they are in a Red Wings uniform.

Olmeda had been playing some 3B, but Deibinson Romero is out there pretty much every game now as the Twins look at whether he should given an opportunity to compete with Plouffe (and Sano?) in 2014.

Beresford just needs to keep doing what he's doing... hitting for average, getting on base and playing excellent defense... for the rest of the season. Then, he'll either get added to the Twins' 40-man roster or he can find another organization that might give him a better opportunity to play in the Big Leagues. With the season he's had, I don't think he'd have any trouble at all getting offers.

At this point, with just over a month left in the minor league regular season, I'm not too concerned about Beresford sitting out every third game or so. My guess is that the Twins already have a pretty good idea what they have in him as a player and probably are already about 90% sure what they're going to do with James after the season is over, one way or the other.

Beresford can now just relax, have fun, play hard when he's in the line up, and try to help Rochester make a playoff run.

Thank you SD, I agree that James maybe should look at playing out the season building on the experience and creating a 'base' for next season, maybe I am slightly bias and a bit harsh by thinking he is not getting the opportunities when, other than not hitting home runs, his promotion to Rochester has been outstanding both batting average wise and defensively.

Must be frustrating for James, todays game (1 Aug) means 15 games since All Star game with James playing in only 7

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    James had a good weekend (Fri-Sun) with the Red Wings, going 4 for 12 with a double, 2 walks (no strikeouts) and a stolen base. The Red Wings won 2 out of the 3 games.

Beresford's BA is back up to .304 since his promotion to Rochester. Of note, I believe, is that his stat lines at Rochester are almost the same that he showed at New Britain prior to his promotion to AAA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast