Name: Alex Meyer
    Position: SP
    Height: 6'9"
    Weight: 220
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    High School: Greensburg, IN
    College: University of Kentucky

Drafted with the 23rd overall pick by the Washington Nationals in the 2011 Draft.
    Acquired by the Twins from the Nationals in exchange for Denard Span on November 29, 2012

More information at Baseball Reference: Alex Meyer Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

Meyer signed too late after the 2011 draft to pitch in the season, so he started his professional career as a 22-year-old in low-A. He started 18 games there, and he showed the ability to miss bats while having decent control, averaging 9.7 SO/9 and 3.09 SO/BB. He was promoted to high-A for the final 7 games of the season, and continued his good performance: 10.7 SO/9 and 3.15 SO/BB. Overall, he pitched 129 innings between the two levels, with an ERA under 3.00 and a .211 batting average against.

During the offseason, Meyer was featured on several top-100 prospect lists:
    #40 MLB.com
    #59 Baseball America
    #61 ESPN
    #63 Minor League Ball
    #78 Fangraphs
    #88 Baseball Prospectus
    Within the Twins organization he has battled with Kyle Gibson for title of best pitching prospect, and has been ranked as anywhere from the Twins's 3rd to 6th best prospect.

This year, as a 23-year-old, he has been assigned to AA with the New Britain Rock Cats. He has started 2 games so far this year, pitching 10 innings with 14 strikeouts and just 3 walks.

I was able to travel to Richmond to see his first start, and you can find my writeup about the game here: Alex Meyer's Rock Cats Debut - Twinkie Town

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

April 18th

Alex Meyer started a game this past Thursday against the Portland Sea Dogs, the AA affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. He pitched 6 very effective innings, with the following line:
    6 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 4 BB, 5 SO
    Overall, these are Meyer's stats for the season:
    16 IP, 3 ER, 13 H, 7 BB, 19 SO
    Notes:
    - The Sea Dogs lineup included Xander Bogaerts, Boston's consensus top prospect, and a top-10 prospect in all of baseball. Bogaerts had the only hit against Meyer, with his hit a ground-ball to shortstop. He also lined out to shortstop and grounded out to third.
    - Other than the line out to shortstop, every other ball-in-play was a ground ball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Alex Meyer started a game this past Thursday against the Portland Sea Dogs, the AA affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. He pitched 6 very effective innings, with the following line:
    6 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 4 BB, 5 SO
    Overall, these are Meyer's stats for the season:
    16 IP, 3 ER, 13 H, 7 BB, 19 SO
    Notes:
    - The Sea Dogs lineup included Xander Bogaerts, Boston's consensus top prospect, and a top-10 prospect in all of baseball. Bogaerts had the only hit against Meyer, with his hit a ground-ball to shortstop. He also lined out to shortstop and grounded out to third.
    - Other than the line out to shortstop, every other ball-in-play was a ground ball.
    thanks for the update. Great to hear he is doing well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer pitched this morning for New Britain against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, the AA affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. He again pitched 6 innings, needing 95 pitches (61 strikes). He scattered 8 hits and 1 walk, giving up 1 run. He had 7 strikeouts. Obviously, it would be nice if he could have had given up fewer hits, but it was nice see him control the strike zone with only the 1 walk.
    Notes:
    - The Blue Jays traded away much of their farm system this past offseason in trades with Marlins and the Mets. Their AA team in particular is very week, with only a couple of players who could be considered even marginal prospects.

Meyer's season stats:
    22 IP, 4 ER, 21 H, 8 BB, 26 SO

Senior Member Double-A

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    A) Awesome adopt a player thread. You have a ton of good info here. Definitely went above and beyond. B) In Jim Callis' weekly chat he answered this question about Mr.Meyers;

What kind of timeline is Alex Meyer on to the majors? Also, has Trevor May looked more like he could be a good starter in the bigs, or do you envision reliever?
    Jim Callis: Meyer: Arbitration considerations may delay him, but could see him up after the break. May is a reliever for me–don’t trust the control or command.

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer pitched this past Tuesday on the last day of April against the Harrisburg Senators, the AA affiliate of the Washington Nationals. This was his worst start of the season, giving up 4 runs in 6 innings, with all the runs coming in the 3rd. Rather than my own commentary on the game, I strongly recommend reading the write-up from Twins Fan From Afar, who was at the game. It is an awesome article, so please read and enjoy.
    Notes:
    - The Nationals AA team has a decent lineup, with one major prospect (Brian Goodwin), several minor ("C") prospects, as well as a handful of replacement-level major leaguers (including former Twin Erik Komatsu). However, they have yet to hit well this season, and are one of the worse offensive teams in the Eastern League.
    - Another good article to read about Meyer and his knuckle-curve ball.

Meyer's season stats:
    28 IP, 8 ER, 26 H, 11 BB, 34 SO, 0 HR
    2.57 ERA, 2.06 FIP, 1.32 WHIP
    10.93 K/9, 3.54 BB/9

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer started his 6th game of the season on Sunday, and he once again had a decent start ruined by one bad inning. In this instance, Meyer was unable to get out of the 5th inning, giving up 5 runs in the frame. The inning went like this:
    walk
    single
    single - 1 run scored
    walk
    pop out
    strike out
    single - 3 runs scored
    double - 1 run scored
    pitching change

One of the runs ended up being unearned, but still, much of the damage was self-inflicted with the two walks. It is disappointed to see that he was very close to limiting the damage of that inning, but then ended up giving up 4 of the runs with two outs.

Notes:
    - This is the 3rd time in the young season that Meyer has started against the Portland Sea Dogs. Not sure if that contributed to his struggles, but they may have made adjustments against him.

Meyer's season stats (in 6 starts):
    32.2 IP, 12 ER, 31 H, 14 BB, 40 SO, 0 HR
    3.31 ERA, 2.13 FIP, 1.38 WHIP
    11.02 K/9, 3.86 BB/9

Senior Member Double-A
    Alex Meyer had his 7th start of the season on Saturday, and he ended up facing the Portland Sea Dogs for the fourth time this season. Though not as bad as his previous start, Meyer did struggle again, giving up 4 runs (3 earned) in 5 1/3 innings. He did strike out 7 batters, but gave up 7 hits and 4 walks.

Meyer's season stats are creeping in the wrong direction.
    (in 7 starts):
    38.0 IP, 15 ER, 38 H, 18 BB, 47 SO, 0 HR
    3.55 ERA, 2.22 FIP 1.474 WHIP
    11.1 K/9, 4.3 BB/9

For anyone interested, here are the season stats for the other New Britain starter, Trevor May (also in 7 starts):
    39.1 IP, 14 ER, 30 H, 19 BB, 37 SO, 3 HR
    3.20 ERA, 3.99 FIP 1.246 WHIP
    8.5 K/9, 4.3 BB/9

Senior Member Double-A
    Meyer started his 8th game of the year on Friday night. He improved from his previous two starts, as he only gave up 2 runs in 5.1 innings. More importantly, he did not walk a single hitter and only allowed 5 hits. However, one of the hits was a home run - his first home run allowed this season. Here is a recap of the game: The New Britain Herald : New Britain, Conn., and surrounding areas (newbritainherald.com)

Meyer's season stats (in 8 starts):
    43.0 IP, 17 ER, 43 H, 18 BB, 51 SO, 1 HR
    3.56 ERA, 2.46 FIP 1.42 WHIP
    10.67 K/9, 3.77 BB/9

Senior Member Double-A
    Meyer pitched again on Wednesday, and I know I'm beginning to sounds like a broken record, but he again pitched well except for "one bad inning". This time, his "one bad inning" was the 4th, where he gave up 4 runs on 4 singles and a walk. He wasn't helped by a fielding error that prolonged the inning, so not all the runs were earned. At the end of the night, he faced 30 batters over 6 2/3 innings, giving up 6 hits and 3 walks to go along with 7 strikeouts.

On the plus side, this was the deepest into a game Meyer has pitched so far this season, as well as the most batters faced.

Meyer's season stats (in 9 starts):
    49.2.0 IP, 20 ER, 49 H, 21 BB, 58 SO, 1 HR
    3.62 ERA, 2.46 FIP 1.41 WHIP
    10.51 K/9, 3.81 BB/9

One interesting tid-bit pointed out in another thread, Meyer is currently 5th in all of AA in Fielding Independent Pitching:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/minorleaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=5,6,7&qual= y&type=1&season=2013&team=0&players=0

Senior Member Double-A
    There is a recently posted scouting report from Baseball Prospectus. Unfortunately, subscription is required; however, here is a snippet from the summary:

Overall, project Meyer as an eighth-inning reliever, with a closer’s ceiling. The pitcher has a more-than-capable fastball and slider combination for getting batters out at the highest level in short bursts. He can be consistently overpowering out of the bullpen, with the fastball likely to play up into the high-90s and the slider trouble for hitters when behind in the count. Meyer does not have a deep enough arsenal as constructed to start at the big-league level. I don’t presently see it even in a short-term capacity to see if he can stick. Of concern are Meyer’s command and bouts with wildness.
    This report mirrors fairly closely some of the feedback given by members who have seen Meyer this season, though it is rather disappointing to see him dismiss Meyer's potential as a starter.

I will be very disappointed if Meyer's doesn't end up as a starter. You don't trade a good centerfielder for a possible set-up man or closer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    I will be very disappointed if Meyer's doesn't end up as a starter. You don't trade a good centerfielder for a possible set-up man or closer.
    I will share the disappointment.

I do understand that we traded for a guy whose ceiling is top of the rotation starter and floor is late inning reliever. You can't get a guaranteed top of the rotation starter for a good center fielder. They needed to take the risk in order to get the upside. No matter how it turns out, it was worth the risk.

I would prefer they take the risk rather than get a young pitcher with a possible ceiling of mid rotation starter that is ready for the majors. That guy is Vance Worley. With May a good return for Revere, but neither has the upside of Meyer.

My first question is what's the history of accuracy with scouting reports from Baseball Prospectus?

Maybe Cueller can teach him a to throw a real nice changeup when he moves up to AAA. He probably just needs one more pitch and he will be successful as a starter.

Perhaps we got our hopes up that a 29 year old CF with a career OPS+ of 102 was going to bring back a top of the rotation starter.

What is everybody's opinion on Jason Parks as a scout? I really enjoy listening to his podcast Fringe Average and enjoyed Up and In so I feel like I trust his opinion but I don't know his track record on correctly scouting prospects. I ask this because I know he is one who says he thinks that Meyer will end up as a late-inning bullpen guy. Thanks.

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    What is everybody's opinion on Jason Parks as a scout? I really enjoy listening to his podcast Fringe Average and enjoyed Up and In so I feel like I trust his opinion but I don't know his track record on correctly scouting prospects. I ask this because I know he is one who says he thinks that Meyer will end up as a late-inning bullpen guy. Thanks.
    The actual report was filed by Chris Mellen, who is a recent addition to BP. I've tried to dig up some older reports to get a feeling for his style, but I didn't have much luck. He appears to have been a scout for a Red Sox prospect blog prior to working for BP.

Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    The actual report was filed by Chris Mellen, who is a recent addition to BP. I've tried to dig up some older reports to get a feeling for his style, but I didn't have much luck. He appears to have been a scout for a Red Sox prospect blog prior to working for BP.
    I asked a question previously on a Jason Parks chat what he thought of Alex Meyer and he responded by saying something about how he saw him as a late-inning reliever so that is what I was referring to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast