Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Harrison

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Travis Harrison

Travis J. Harrison, 3B, Class-A Cedar Rapids
    Born: October 17, 1992 in Aliso Viejo California
    Vitals: 6'1", 215 lbs. (probably more on both counts)
    Throws: Right, Bats: Right

2013 Stats (4/16/2013):
    Class A: 8 H / 34 AB, 2 2B, 1 HR, 2 BB, 8 SO (234/282/471)
    2012 Stats:
    Rookie+: 66 H / 219 AB, 2 2B, 4 3B, 5 HR, 24 BB, 51 SO, 3 SB (301/383/461)

Harrison was the 50th overall pick in the 2011 draft (a compensation pick for losing Orlando Hudson to free agency), out of Tustin High School in California. He was viewed as one of the best high school bats, with some of the best raw power in the class. The main knock on him was that his defense at third was not great, and he is likely to grow out of the position, probably profiling better as a first baseman. Also, there is some question about whether his hit tool will fully develop, or whether he'll end up as more of a high strikeout power bat.

Harrison went straight to the Appalachian league last year where he put up great numbers as a 19-year-old in his first professional season. His strikeout numbers were high and he did commit a lot of errors, confirming what the scouting reports said.

Coming into this season, Kernels manager Jake Mauer said he was working hard on improving his defense at third, which is encouraging. But if his bat develops as expected it will play wherever he ends up which, which may depend on where Miguel Sano ends up as well. And if both develop successfully, the Twins could end up with a great corner-infield combo, launching a lot of bombs into the left-field porch at Target Field.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    IF you have a baseball america membership:

Twins Tell Harrison To Swing For The Fences - BaseballAmerica.com

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks Mr. Ed, I was just about to post that.

The title pretty much sums it up. Rob Anthony says the Twins are working on getting Harrison recognize good pitches to turn on.

I imagine they are already thinking about how his right-handed bat might play at Target Field

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Second home run on the year tonight.

Overall in the two games today: 2 for 5 with a walk and two strikeouts

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was incredibly surprised and impressed by Travis Harrison when I saw him play and talked to him in Cedar Rapids on their Opening Weekend. A very bright, funny guy, but he also knows hitting. He doesn't like to wear batting gloves, although that opening weekend, he did in BP and late in games because of the cold. Stance, swing-wise, I really was impressed, and in the story I wrote on him, Mauer was quoted as saying that he has very strong hands and will certainly develop some power as he learns his strengths.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Weekly wrap-up:

After going 2 for 4 with a walk in yesterday's game, Harrison currently has an 8-game hitting streak going, though yesterday's game was his first multi-hit game in the streak. He has 3 doubles and a homerun during the streak as well.

His triple slash on the year is up to a solid 275/339/510.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Travis Harrison came in as a pinch hitter in the 11th inning of last night's game with the bases loaded and 1 out and hit one of the longest walk off singles ever.

Actually, the ball cleared the fence and would have been a grand slam, but the umpires ruled that DJ Hicks and Adam Walker who were on 1st and 2nd didn't make an attempt to advance in the celebration, so only one run scored, an Harrison only officially got credited with a single. It's only A-ball, so you can expect the walk-off celebration skills to be a bit raw, but the players should refine them as they work their way toward the majors.

Harrison played in 5 games over the last week including his pinch-hit apperance in last night's game. He went 6 for 19 with two doubles and no walks. His triple slash has improved a bit, up to 286/333/486 officially. He would be slugging .528 and the homerun would have been his third of the year had it been scored as one.

The most encouraging news is that after a rough start on defense, committing 5 errors in his first 10 games, Harrison has now gone 9 games at 3B without being charged with an error.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A nice article on Travis Harrison by Perfect Game, the amateur talent organization that 1.) if the namesake of the Cedar Rapids stadium (Perfect Game Field), and 2.) Is located right across the street from the stadium.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=8336

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    First, here's a video of Harrison's walk-off last week:

It looks like a high fastball that Harrison is able to turn on using his quick hands.

After that at bat he went 2 for 3 with a double in Saunday's game, then hit a homerun (this one counted) in four tries on Monday. After that he went a bit cold in his next 4 games, only notching one hit and two walks in 15 PAs, striking out 3 times. He also committed a throwing error and two fielding errors in that stretch, though he also got himself involved in a couple of double plays.

Overall for the year, he's now hitting 267/320/467 and he has 8 errors for a .871 fielding percentage. His strikeout rate is at 22%, which is a manageable rate, especially since he's been flashing his power. All reports are that he's working hard on his fielding, so that should come around, and there's nothing to indicate that his bat won't play in a corner infield spot in the future.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    It's been two weeks since I last updated because I'm in Sweden now where they don't have baseball but something called brännboll instead, so I've been a little out of the loop. But anyway.

Harrison had another walk off single last night, this one traveled a lot less far than his last. It was his only hit in 6 ABs last night.

Overall, he went 8 for 30 in the last week (5/11-5/17) with 4 doubles, 1 walk and 8 strikeouts. This was after going 3 for 15 with a homerun and a double in the 4 games after his previous walk-off. He also committed two errors to bring his yearly total up to 10 (a .892 fielding percentage).

Scouting guru John Sickels also had a nice writeup on Harrison and Adam Brett Walker II after making a trip to watch the Kernels. Sickels praised Harrison's bat speed and said he looked like he could be an "adequate" third baseman, while saying he was still more likely to wind up at first.

He also said that Harrison looked pull-happy and had trouble laying off sliders and other stuff out of the zone. The pull tendency may be from the coaching staff working on his approach to improve his power. When he hit .301 in rookie league last year he was hitting to all fields, so He probably needs to work on recognizing when to turn on things and when to go with the pitch, as well as improve his overall pitch recognition.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Great game for Harrison last night going 3 for 4 with a homerun, which gives him homeruns in back-to-back games and 7 (or 8 depending on how you want to count) on the year.

Hopefully he can maintain this kind of power production.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks to SD Buhr for his great interview with Harrison:

Twins Daily - Q & A With Travis Harrison

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Do you think Harrison will be promoted to Fort Myers this year?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Personally I think he'll spend the whole year in Cedar Rapids and start next year in Fort Myers, especially if the organization wants to keep him at third base. But I don't actually know anything. If he gets really hot and they decide to move him to first base maybe he starts moving a lot faster, but a full year in low-A would fit with the organization's typical prospect trajectory.

I was in Kane County for the Kernels game last night and was really impressed with Travis. It was my first time seeing him play but from what I read in earlier posts, his defense has to be much improved. He made one error on a sharp liner to his right that might have been a base hit anyway. After that he looked great making stops to his left and right and made one huge throw from deep down the 3rd base line. He also made a great scoop and tag on a stolen base attempt at 3rd. In a game with little league like defense (5 errors and many more that should have been) I thought he was one of the few Kernels that looked solid defensively. I'm excited to see what else this guys can do!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A bit of a tough week for Harrison. 4 Errors,just 4 for 21 (.190), though he did have 5 walks giving him a .370 OBP. He also had a HR and a double.

Overall on the year he now has a triple slash of 258/346/463. His 10 homeruns ties Adam Brett Walker and D.J. Hicks for the Kernels team lead and his 17 doubles are second to Hicks's 20.

He's got 10 more PAs than he had in Rookie ball last year so it's a good time to compare his progress. First, his power output is definitely up with a .205 ISO versus a .160 last year. He's managed to do this against generally better pitching while keeping his strikeout rate at a manageable level 23.2% versus 20.2% last year. His walk rate is virtually the same 9.1% versus 9.5% last year. The drop in his batting average seems to be mostly a product of luck and probably a bit better defense at the A level.

In the field he has boosted his fielding percentage to .911 from .832 last year, and his range factor per game is up to 2.52 from 2.02 last year. He's reportedly making some great plays, but his consistency still needs to improve if he's going to be able to stick at 3B.

Overall, I'd say he's making solid progress, so his stock as a prospect is improving. The hit tool could be better, but he's not striking out at a really alarming rate so I think that it may still come around. I still expect he'll spend a full year in Cedar Rapids unless he really breaks out at some point, but at this point there's no reason that he shouldn't be starting at A+ next year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A good week for Harrison, he was on the base paths a lot. He went 5 for 12 with 3 walks and 2 HBP. Two of his hits were doubles and two homeruns.

He also made an appearance in the midwest league all-star game, where he went 0 for 1.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Another good week for Harrison, mostly powered by his 2 for 4 day yesterday with a double and home run. He also picked up 5 more hits including 3 doubles in the rest of his games last week.

His home run was his 13th on the season, moving him ahead of Walker and Hicks for the Kernel's team lead. His triple slash is up to .274/.372/.514 on the season. His walk rate has also ticked up to 10.2% over the last two weeks while his strikeout rate has ticked down to 22.4% and his ISO is up to a healthy .239. All very encouraging trends.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Harrison was 8 for 26 (.308) over the past week with a homerun, a double and 5 walks. Pretty much par for the course recently. His walk and strikeout rates continue to trend in the right directions, now at 10.7% and 21.8%.

He did get charged with two errors this week.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette has an article on Harrison:

Kernels' Harrison undeterred by who's ahead of him | TheGazette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast