Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Beresford

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

James Beresford

James Beresford is a 24 year old middle infielder for the New Britain Rock Cats, out of Glen Waverly, Australia.

The lefthanded hitting Beresford is listed at 6' 1" and just 170 pounds, but reports are that he put on some bulk this past offseason and may be playing closer to 185 pounds this summer.

In 2012, Beresford split time pretty evenly between SS and 2B and so far in 2013, he's been primarily playing 2B for New Britain.

After notching just two hits in his first five games of the season, James has gone on a tear the past three games, going 7 for 12 with a pair of doubles and his first two RBI of the year. The hot streak has him hitting .321.

James scored the winning run Tuesday night on a wild pitch.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    James Beresford is a 24 year old middle infielder for the New Britain Rock Cats, out of Glen Waverly, Australia.

The lefthanded hitting Beresford is listed at 6' 1" and just 170 pounds, but reports are that he put on some bulk this past offseason and may be playing closer to 185 pounds this summer.

In 2012, Beresford split time pretty evenly between SS and 2B and so far in 2013, he's been primarily playing 2B for New Britain.

After notching just two hits in his first five games of the season, James has gone on a tear the past three games, going 7 for 12 with a pair of doubles and his first two RBI of the year. The hot streak has him hitting .321.

James scored the winning run Tuesday night on a wild pitch.
    Though no safe hits tonight (17 April) James continued to hit the ball with 2 sacrifices (RBI) in 4 at bats. Should now be given more chances with wood in his hands than warming his pants.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    New Britain won 17-1 tonight (Apr 18) and James was right in the middle of things. He went 3 for 3 (all singles) with 3 walks and 3 runs scored. And as long as we're in a mood for threes, he also stole his 3rd base of the season. His total number of stolen bases last year? Yep... 3 (he was also caught stealing 3 times last year; he hasn't been caught stealing yet in 2013). Wouldn't it be cool if he was now hitting .333? But no... he's up to .364 on the year.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone expected James to continue hitting .364 and he hasn't. He did go 2 for 4 in Friday night's Rock Cats win, however, and that puts his batting average at .304 and his OBP at .397. He came through with a 2-out RBI single to put the Cats on the board in the bottom of the second inning and added a single in his team's 3-run sixth inning.

James has settled in as NB's regular second baseman, while still getting occasional spot-duty at SS and 3B.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    James had another productive game Saturday and "Twins Fan From Afar" was there and spoke to Beresford after the game.

Twins Fan From Afar: Anatomy of a Rock Cats Win & Postgame Conversation with James Beresford

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    James pulled up lame at second base in a game last night and has been placed on the Rock Cats' 7-Day DL. I'm hearing he may be laid up a few weeks.

It's unfortunate, for him, because he was back on another roll, having raised his batting average to .338 and his OBP to .418. Even his OPS was up over .800.

Wishing James the best as he recovers and hoping he can come back and pick right up where he left off.

Just when James has been able to get on top with the bat and glove this tragedy hopefully will only be a slight hiccup in his season which so far has been very good, hope your back soon James

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford has been reactivated by New Britain and went 2 for 5 with a run scored in his first game back, raising his batting average to .341 on the season. Welcome back, James!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    How does Beresford's defense rate? He's always hit well in the minors, albeit with zero power, so his ticket to the majors seems to be as a utility infielder. I know he's played a few games at 3B, so his arm must be at least decent. The org has pretty much moved him off of SS, but this is probably because they want Santana playing there.

Cant understand why Twins want Santana over Beresford at SS, Beresford has a better batting average and fielding wise is excellent, only 2 errors (of which one was a bad relay throw) yet Santana currently has 15 errors

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I watched Beresford and Santana quite a few games in Beloit when they were there. Beresford has always been my favorite Twins Prospect at SS that I have seen either with the Snappers or with the River Bandots/Swing. He exhibits a take charge attitude on the infield, makes the plays, has a good arm and looks to be a smart player. Not sure his range is going to make you drool, not that it is bad but I don't remember being wowed by any plays where he seemed to be beyond the scope of a normal SS. Santana, just never made a impression on me one way or the other. Now that was a couple years ago and I sure don't see them as much as the organization does, but I have to say I think people under estimate Beresford. This all being said I hope to see Niko Goodrum this weekend, so I have a open mind on the future SS position.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, it was Beresford's defense that first got my attention when he played here in CR for Beloit a few years ago. He made one play in the hole to his right I thought there was no way could be made and turned a very acrobatic double play, as I recall. I think the Twins know he can handle SS at any level and Santana is getting the games at SS for two reasons: (1) Santana is seen as the higher prospect offensively and needs the work at SS (and that's really what the minor leagues are for... development); and (2) If Beresford can show enough improvement in extra-base hits to actually compete for a spot with the Twins at some point, there's no telling today what position that might be at, so they might as well move him around some to make sure he's going to play well no matter where they might need him.

To me, it's far less important where he plays in the field right now than it is just making sure he's in the line up as often as possible and getting in his swings with the bat.

Well said SD, it is always up to the player to make the most of opportunities, hopefully James will get the opportunities, at the moment his game play cant be overlooked

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You have to realize that Santana is 20 months younger than Beresford and playing in the same league. Age to league to can be a pretty big factor in determining how well a player's stats hold up in a more advanced league. It also means Santana's got a bit more time to cut down on his errors; I think the Twins like his footwork and motions at SS.

I'm not saying this to knock Beresford, I've always liked him as a prospect, and if he can develop even a little bit more power I think his bat will play well in a utility role, and I think he's definitely closer to the majors than Santana right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since coming back from the groin pull, Beresford has played all five games and hit .364 (8 for 22), putting his average at .343 on the season.

You have to figure the time is coming when the Twins will need to make a decision with regard to James. At mid-season, he'll have a year and a half at AA. Santana has already moved him out of the SS position over to 2B almost exclusively and Eddie Rosario is a candidate for promotion from Ft Myers.

If the Twins see Beresford as a legitimate Major League infield option at some point, it's probably time to make room for him at Rochester. On the other hand, if they see him as just an organizational player without a MLB future, I hope they'll do the right thing and let him find another organization that might have a need for his talents in the infield.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Beresford, skinny guy like me...

I also wouldn't doubt if he's the first player to get a bump in level (MiLB promotion) this season over Sano/Rosario/Buxton, as he's already played a full season at AA and has shown drastic improvement in his hitting this season. (said this the other day before stopping by here: https://twitter.com/MNTwinsGUFS/stat...64331813015553)

He also got into one of the Spring Training games I was at this year at Hammond Stadium, and hit a Home Run. He definitely bulked up some as well, evidenced both visually and by that hit, as it was only his 2nd HR he's had since turning pro (provided he never hit any others in ST).

He's a very good defender from what I've seen and heard, and as others mention above, is probably playing 2B for Santana's sake. Beresford is definitely a utility type, but if he can keep hitting, that can change.

I remember a chat with Seth early this year, where he said something along the lines of "if Beresford hits at all, he'll play with the Twins this season." So far, so good in that regard, though Florimon and Escobar have been better than expected, so who knows if that would still be the case.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

I cant understand team managements decisions to push Beresford to 2nd "for Santanas sake" 2 more fielding errors today by Santana cant be a positive team move!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am going to echo the comments about SS and second base here. I have been a prospect-plays-first guy and have been told that the minor league team wants to win first and prospects can be placed at the bottom of the lineup. The point is that "veterans" can occupy certain positions because they are "better" than those prospects. This all means that the minor league affiliate has some strong say in the matter (for a reason, I guess).

OK, OK. So . . . . what the hell is this Santana at short and Beresford at second situation???? That can't be a move by New Britain to win more games, clearly. Clearly. So are the Twins involved in this? And why? What does it matter, at all, whether Danny Santana can play short? Beresford is THE GUY to do that. Santana can flourish as a second baseman. I am very confused by the usage of these two at New Britain. I don't understand how a HUGELY struggling SS keeps being placed there when a clearly more-than-viable alternative in Beresford is right there. It's mystifying.

And today.................. Santana not playing (rested or just benched?) so Adam Petterson is played at SS? Very "mystifying"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford has "only" hit .308 over his past 10 games, "dropping" his BA to .331 on the season.

As long as he's in the lineup every day (which he has been), I'm less concerned about where he plays in the infield. If the Twins, for whatever reason, want to keep putting Santana out at SS until he gets it right, that's their call. The guys paying the price for that decision, of course, are the poor NB pitchers who keep seeing ground balls to SS result in baserunners instead of outs.

In a couple of weeks, I have to imagine Beresford moves up to Rochester as Rosario comes up to AA from Fort Myers. He just needs to focus on staying healthy and productive a while longer

#FreeJamesBeresford

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast