Thread: Article: Bromberg, Slama Look to Return from Lost Seasons

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Two Twins Minor League Pitchers Look Return after Lost Seasons

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 567 Times in 371 Posts
    I've never understood why Slama doesn't get more of a shot, given that he can make people miss bats. I'm hopeful he can stay healthy this year and gets a shot if someone else fails.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Particularly Anthony Slama. The guy does what a pitcher is supposed to do - get outs. No matter what else a pitcher does, if he gets outs, he should be promoted. The Twins, of all teams, should value outs over mph.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never understood the animosity this team has for Slama. It is just really strange. I don't think Bromberg is really in that much danger. If he bounces back this season, he could be up in September.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    It has to be the walks. That's the only explanation that really makes sense. the twins philosophy is really against walking guys, and Slama has put a few guys on that way. I agree, he hasn't really gotten the chance his stats have suggested he deserves.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't equate "not moving someone as quickly as someone else might" to "animosity." Looking at Seth's timeline for Slama, it looks to me like every year they moved him up a level. He started his pro career older than many guys do, so maybe his older age makes it seem like he moved slower than he did. On the other hand, as a reliever he was pitching fewer innings per year to "prove himself" than a starter would. And then he had an injury that stalled his progress last year. Again, it's possible he should have been advanced faster than he was, but I don't have the insight to know if that's true. I think jumping to the conclusion of "animosity" is a reach, though.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm really hoping Bromberg bounces back. He certainly looked like a guy who might be able to help the Twins before his injury. Slama is a mystery to me. I think it's quite possible the Twins are right and he doesn't have the stuff to thrive in the majors. But when you consider the guys they have promoted instead of him the last few years, it really makes you wonder. It's not like Hoey, Burnett, Dumatriat, etc. have done anything anywhere to make you think they can get major league hitters out anywhere. If he comes back and pitches well at Rochester this year and the Twins still don't promote him, then I guess he ticked off Gardenhire or Ryan at some point...maybe he made a pass at one of their wives or something?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    It has to be the walks. That's the only explanation that really makes sense. the twins philosophy is really against walking guys, and Slama has put a few guys on that way. I agree, he hasn't really gotten the chance his stats have suggested he deserves.
    And that explanation would be fine if they wouldn't have spent the last two-plus years signing and claiming guys who throw hard, yet walk even more. Guys like Esmerling Vasquez, Lester Oliveros, Jim Hoey are just some of the examples. It goes back to Juan Morillo. That's why it's surprising to me that a guy who is putting up the types of numbers that one would hope from those flame-throwers isn't given a longer look.

Last March during my spring training visit, I spent a day at the Twins complex while the A squad was playing a road game. As I was making the walk from Hammond Stadium down to the minor league complex, David Bromberg was walking that way as well. Asked him how he was doing, and he said, "not so good." He then told me that he had just received word that he was going to start the 2011 season back at AA New Britain. Guy was absolutely crushed, and he told me how he had "ripped up AA" and made a good showing at AAA down the stretch in 2010. So starting at AA New Britain in 2011 was a tough hop for him. Seems like a good dude, hope he's able to have a bounce-back year and maybe even a cup of coffee in the bigs this summer.

My feeling on these two, Salama and Bromberg, has mainly to do with the successful philosophy the Twins had toward their bench and bullpen up until last year. Their formula for reserve bench players worked year after year: good fielding, versatile, speed. Bullpen would consistantly be geared more towards control than anything else, and also a consistant idea that they could pick up a suitable reliever via farm system, trade, waiver, ect. when needed. They had a very good track record of doing this until last year in both departments. Everything snowballed. I guess you could say, if given enough time, all flaws will be exposed. I guess I hope these two are in the Twins plans and they give them a shot sometime to see what they can do at the major league level.