Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro HOF?

Ichiro HOF?

As I woke up at 4 in the morning to watch the Mariners and A's, I couldn't stop thinking to myself, is Ichiro bound for the hall of fame? Over his 11 year career, he's averaged 200+ hits a year with 8 home runs. So his total hits are 2428, 95 home runs, and 423 stolen bases. Now, obviously at these statistics, people might not want to include him in the Hall. Eventually, my decision was that if Ichiro had made his MLB debut at an earlier age than 27, he would have had a greater chance of making it. Now, what are your thoughts on him, is he bound for the Hall?
    Last edited by Nicholas Mueller; 03-28-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are some who will disagree, but he's a shoe-in MLB HOFer. As of now he doesn't have 3,000 hits (578 to go), but his stats in 11 seasons of MLB play are astronomically great. I know it is speculation, but I think he will make it to 3,000. He will be 39 this year, but in my opinion last year was an abberration and he will hit .300+ this year and a few more to follow. He still has the quicks and he seems to be the kind of player who will age very well. He is a different kind of animal, nobody in baseball is quite like him and I don't expect to see another of his ilk. Last year's Seattle Mariners squad was offensively inept and sometimes bad hitting can be contagious. He would not be the first great player to suffer a bad year on a bad offensive club. I understand the warning signs. Ichiro WILL bounce back. Plus, as far as HOF consideration, don't discount his super stardom in Japan and how that has positively effected MLB popularity in that country. That too, will also be a factor.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I don't see how it doesn't get in at this point. Even if he retired today, I think the voters would put him in on the first ballot.

I think he'll end up with 2,800 or so MLB hits. For me, that puts him in.
    It'll be curious, though, because I don't think he'll go in on the first ballot. Some of those voters -- the old codgers -- won't even consider anything he did in Japan, even the fact that it resulted in a later MLB debut.
    I bet he'll go in the second or third year of eligibility, though.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mueller View Post
    Now, what are your thoughts on him, is he bound for the Hall?
    He's a shoo-in.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I think he'll end up with 2,800 or so MLB hits. For me, that puts him in.
    It'll be curious, though, because I don't think he'll go in on the first ballot. Some of those voters -- the old codgers -- won't even consider anything he did in Japan, even the fact that it resulted in a later MLB debut.
    I bet he'll go in the second or third year of eligibility, though.
    Mr. Twins Fans From Afar. You are right about the fact that his overseas stats won't count with the "Old Codgers" (nice old school term!). Maybe they shouldn't? I think Ichiro will be a first ballot HOFer, but 2nd or 3rd ballot is not too bad. I am still perplexed by the 3rd ballot induction of Ryne Sandberg... I am not a Cub's Fan, but that one still unsettles me to this day. Oh well, it all worked out.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely, first ballot.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see how he ranks among other outfielders who are in the Hall before I form an opinion. I think that the only comparable style outfielder (high OBP, lower SLG) is Tony Gwynn and his numbers are much better than Ichiro's. And, yes, position matters. Were he a second baseman, it would had been easier, but as an outfielder? Not sure really...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ichiro will go in the Hall but I dont think he will get in his first I think 2nd year on the ballot

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I'd like to see how he ranks among other outfielders who are in the Hall before I form an opinion. I think that the only comparable style outfielder (high OBP, lower SLG) is Tony Gwynn and his numbers are much better than Ichiro's. And, yes, position matters. Were he a second baseman, it would had been easier, but as an outfielder? Not sure really...
    Rickey Henderson says hi.
    Lou Brock says hi.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ty Cobb says hi too

Ty Cobb says hi too

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    1st ballot, no doubt.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Blog Entries
    Ichiro: Let's not forget his outstanding defense and his cannon arm. That has to come into play. A .326 BA and .370 OBP is more than HOF good. A .338 BA for Tony Gwynn is the stuff dreams are made of. No one can reasonably dispute his place in the HOF. He also revolutionized the art of hitting by studying his mechanical flaws from game day video... many have followed his lead. Both of these guys are GREAT artists of hitting!

Blog Entries
    Richie Ashburn should probably say hello also.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel like I'm answering the question, "Will the sun come up tomorrow?" But yes, he's going in. Thrylos98, I feel like you're answering the question, "Should he go in?" Which may be a more debatable subject, I guess, but to answer that question, too...Yes.

Obviously very different situations, and I agree that the old codgers will consider them very differently even though, in effect, they really aren't, but Puckett only played 12 seasons.

I don't have faith in anyone getting in first ballot anymore.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ichiro seems to have opened up a new door in baseball with the Japan market--and that is still getting wider. His bridging the two styles of play so well cant be put into numbers (though I'm sure some sabermetrics mind has already done it) and for me, thats enough to put him in first ballot. There is a snobbish, or maybe purist-minded prejudice against the Japan baseball world from our American perspective--and certainly it isnt so hostile as the blatant racism-feuled prejudice of the Negro leauges, but Ichiro's part in connecting Japan and American baseball cannot be overstated in my mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ichiro seems to have opened up a new door in baseball with the Japan market--and that is still getting wider. His bridging the two styles of play so well cant be put into numbers (though I'm sure some sabermetrics mind has already done it) and for me, thats enough to put him in first ballot. There is a snobbish, or maybe purist-minded prejudice against the Japan baseball world from our American perspective--and certainly it isnt so hostile as the blatant racism-feuled prejudice of the Negro leauges, but Ichiro's part in connecting Japan and American baseball cannot be overstated in my mind.
    Success Stories: Ichiro, H. Matsui, Nomo, Sasaki & Kuroda. Zach, sabremetrics will probably not be able to define Ichiro as we see he should be defined, but he is great none-the-less. In my mind, heart, and moral system I feel racism in the game of baseball has been, for the most part erradicated. Let us not forget about Jackie Robinson's struggles for equality, against racism and the hardships he had to endure. He opened the door for many and paid a great price for his sacrifice. When I hear the name of Jackie Robinson mentioned I do not equate that to baseball, but equate that name to the fight for civil rights, pride, honor, and to be treated like a human being. Sorry for my rant, Ichiro is a HOFer... hands down... no doubt.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes he will go in, if only to get some Japanese tourists to visit Cooperstown. But cynicism aside he also belongs. Question who playing today is a lock? Mariano, Jeter are tow that jump at me. Chipper and Ichiro should be. Albert. Those come off the top of my head.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ichiro is a guaranteed first-ballot Hall of Famer. Hardly any rational thinker could doubt this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast