Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Threatening The Media

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, when Mackey started on 1500 ESPN, I liked his work and the new voice. He used Sabermetrics and sounded like a blogger (he was one before, still is to some extent). But it very quickly went to his head, and working with Reusse has further sent him down the path of the darkside. Striving to be a "heel" is one thing, but this isn't "professional" wrestling. If you're a heel here, you're actually a heel in real life, which is another way of saying you're a [redacted]. I can't listen to him anymore on the radio, but I'll still read his work for about the only reason that he gets quotes from players, etc... and can form a readable post. But he's got to realize that's not the same thing that's done by bloggers, who largely analyze and offer opinion, and can speak freely for a fanbase that feels the same way a good majority of the time. He's just a mouthpiece to me, really. It's also very rare he acknowledges a good counter-point to his own views, instead resulting to name calling, or telling you to get out of your mother's basement. Newsflash Mackey: there are many, many, many more successful "bloggers" who are also very successful in their professional lives, than there are not. Four of them run this site, several others contribute here and elsewhere. The platform is as big as it is because of the content that is produced. Quality content. It's very easy to recognize crap, and that doesn't get read. If the readership is shifting to the form of blogs instead of mainstream media outlets, I think that tells a lot more about what the audience wants to see/read instead of the accountability associated with the source. They want opinions. They want their team called out if they're struggling. They want someone to say what they're all thinking. And that's not guys like Mackey. Be who you are, recognize the differences between platforms, acknowledge the good things each one provides, and coexist.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've given this quite a bit more thought than I intended when I originally read the piece. I consider myself a gatherer of information. Thus, I read as much of the mainstream stuff as I prefer, and a large chuck of the blogging. To me, the imporant "access" is the connection point between bloggers and the audience. We feel as if we are "one of you", and can readily comment to or against the bloggers thoughts (this, by far, is the principle greatness of this website; the bloggers actively read and comment on others). I most often come to the blogs to share in my love for the sport and "our" team. I want to hear others similarly situated discussing things I find interesting. Access to the players is a great thing the mainstream has, and I will not speak against it, but access to a community of like-minded individuals is where I can hang my hat. In essense, in Twins Daily, I am home, with friends, colleagues, and for the most part, a community of people who don't call the last comment/commenter a ....

There thought expressed, now back to why I can't beleive no one else thinks Benson looks way too much like James Van Der Beek.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a community of like-minded individuals is where I can hang my hat. In essense, in Twins Daily, I am home, with friends, colleagues, and for the most part, a community of people who don't call the last comment/commenter a ....
    I want to burst out into the theme song for Cheers!! But thank you so much for the kind words. What you wrote above is exactly what we described when we set about on the trek to building this site. That's exactly what we wanted, a Twins community where we can talk about our favorite team. May not always agree, but can do so in a respectful manner. Thank you for verifying that we just may have done that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123