Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Three-Bagger: Pelfrey, Power and Pedro

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure there's a stat guy who will be comparing the steady but unspectacular defense of Escobar against the spectacular but erratic play of Florimon. It's hard for me to say right now which I prefer. Florimon gets to a lot more balls, so he might be excused for the occasional miscue. But if they become too plentiful, it will be awful tempting to make the switch, especially when Escobar has the better bat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm sure there's a stat guy who will be comparing the steady but unspectacular defense of Escobar against the spectacular but erratic play of Florimon. It's hard for me to say right now which I prefer. Florimon gets to a lot more balls, so he might be excused for the occasional miscue. But if they become too plentiful, it will be awful tempting to make the switch, especially when Escobar has the better bat.
    It was Escobar with the defensive reputation in the minors. I have not seen a report about his defense being unspectacular. BBA listed him as the White best defensive middle infield prospect 4 straight years. Florimon reports were of flash and inconsistency. There is a reason why he was DFA'd twice last year with all other team's passing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Pelfrey's health is a nice surprise. Fans wanted Marcum and Baker but both of them opened the season on their teams 15 day (Marcum) and 60 day DL (Baker). If we had those two instead of Pelfrey and Correia, and with Diamond and Deduno's injury, our rotation would've been Worley, Hendriks, De Vries, Walters and Duensing? Hernandez?

Not saying Pelfrey/Correia are going to be even good but if they can stay reasonably healthy and let Gibson, May, Meyer etc get experience before being called up, that'll help a lot.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Looks like Escobar is in the lineup today in place of Florimon, so we'll have a chance to compare.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I know very little about Escobar, although I've heard Nick Punto comparisons. Is he another Nick Punto?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no such thing as another Nick Punto. Punto is pretty much the Twins' idea of the best weak-hitting, great fielding utility infielders that I have ever seen. Nobody can stand up to his legacy and survive (except for Cuddy, and he did both fielding and hitting well, so he doesn't count.)