Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Parmelee

Question Chris Parmelee

We've seen this act before from him. Gets to the majors, struggles, starts pressing and then struggles even more.

How long is his leash? His minus defense doesn't help his case and it's not like the Twins can afford another liability in the outfield with Chillingham in left. His throw to nab Torii at third was admittedly nice but that's not much in his favor.

I know we are only two games in but how long will the Twins put up Parm this year?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While hitless, he has drawn 2 BB (and should have drawn a third but bungled the AB) in 8 PA. This shouldn't be a concern for several more weeks. He has shown good discipline, which I'll take over two bloop singles because it's more sustainable and shows a solid approach.

CUT HIM, FIRE HIM! #SEASONSOVER
    Wait...let's give it some time.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He needs some time, but I'd love to see Wilkin Ramirez start vs LHPs.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Roberts View Post
    How long is his leash? His minus defense doesn't help his case and it's not like the Twins can afford another liability in the outfield with Chillingham in left. His throw to nab Torii at third was admittedly nice but that's not much in his favor.

I know we are only two games in but how long will the Twins put up Parm this year?
    In his 2nd game of the season, Austin Jackson's bungling in CF yesterday cost his team a victory- of course he has a body of work. How about we let Parm do the same before we break out the pitchforks, tar and feathers.

Besides, until Arcia is really ready, there really aren't a lot of strong alternatives.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    He needs some time, but I'd love to see Wilkin Ramirez start vs LHPs.
    Platooning? What's that again?

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    I think this thread may be jumping the gun a little bit.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know we are only two games in
    +1, my brother.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    The Twins need to find out if he can hit this year and if he is an answer to 1B if Morneau leaves. It's unfortunate that means that he will be playing in RF a lot but I'm confident that it will only be half of a season.

I also think your proposed handling of the situation is exactly what many of have complained about in the past with Gardy. Young players have ended up in his doghouse and subsequently received sporadic playing time for several seasons. And then they broke out once given consistent playing time. Let Parmelee have a couple of months so we can get a good luck at what his potential is instead of putting him into the no-man's land on Gardy's bench.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Said Sugar... Take it slow and we'll come together fine... All we need is just a little patience".

A little patience and 15 years later "Chinese Democracy".

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think this thread may be jumping the gun a little bit.
    Ya, but is it jumping the shark?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've seen this act before from him. Gets to the majors, struggles, starts pressing and then struggles even more.

If they want to see if he can develop, he needs 1000 plate appearances.

Liked 3,178 Times in 1,362 Posts
    To pile on to the refutation of the original post, his defense in RF isn't going to be much of a factor in whether or not he stays in the big leagues. Pretty much no person in the history of baseball who can hit and isn't too old has ever lost an OF job due to defense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love early season knee-jerk reactions...

By the way, anyone know the route of the Twins' World Series Parade? On pace for 108 wins. All those offseason worries were for nothing!

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Gotta love early season knee-jerk reactions...

By the way, anyone know the route of the Twins' World Series Parade? On pace for 108 wins. All those offseason worries were for nothing!
    Before we start worrying about the parade route, I am of the opinion that we as Twin's Fans need to find a replacement for the ancient and obsolete Homer Hanky. I could very well see that hampering the Twin's destined march towards their inevitable goal of claiming the World Series Trophy.

I have a few ideas:

1. The Pelfrey Purse
    2. The Plouffe Scoop

Anyone else?
    ...and it's nice enough to make a man weep,
    but I don't weep, do you?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    With the risk of also taking a beating, I have to say, despite the tone of the OP's first two paragraphs, his third seemed very hypothetical, and it actually is a good question. No one, including the OP is advocating a Parmelee demotion, but how long do you give him the job if he does end up struggling?

In the big picture, Parmelee may not be a huge piece of the puzzle, but his presence on the 25 man roster is balanced by two large and opposite variables. If star prospect Arcia deserves a promotion should the Twins block him be sticking with a hypothetically struggling Parmelee? On the other hand can you really resolve the Morneau delimma without a firm opinion of Parmelee's future abilities?

Heh, normally I'd say wtf, it's three games (now). But his PAs aren't Parmelee PAs, he's completely overwhelmed at the plate, as evidenced by consistently letting third strikes be thrown down the middle of the plate. Absolutely sure it's mental and a confidence thing this moment, so much so that something similar to the original post crossed my mind. The thing is, you hardly notice when something like this happens for three games in the middle of the season, but it's been pretty bad.

My first year in little league I had no clue. I either struck out or walked in every PA. That's what Parmelee seems like right now. Here's hoping his smash off Fielder turns him around and restores his confidence. For me to even comment on such a small sample means I see something that's not right and not likely attributable to noise. He looked that bad.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesser Dali View Post
    Before we start worrying about the parade route, I am of the opinion that we as Twin's Fans need to find a replacement for the ancient and obsolete Homer Hanky. I could very well see that hampering the Twin's destined march towards their inevitable goal of claiming the World Series Trophy.

I have a few ideas:

1. The Pelfrey Purse
    2. The Plouffe Scoop

Anyone else?
    Can we consider all Twins players or do their last names have to start with the letter P.

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Can we consider all Twins players or do their last names have to start with the letter P.
    Of course all Twin's players are to be considered. Because I am in such a positive and peppy state of mind right now, the P's must have infiltrated my subconscious.

Oh, I have another one: The Parmelee Pancho... Damn, I see what you mean.
    ...and it's nice enough to make a man weep,
    but I don't weep, do you?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give Parmelee all the time he needs, or until Arcia is ready to come up, whichever happens first. No need to panic, the Twins are winning, the season is young, and there's a chance he could be an everyday regular out there in RF until A) Morneau is traded becasue Parmelee figured out how to hit or B) Arcia comes up after mashing AAA and Parm continues to look hapless. Hope, my friends, hope, hold on to it tightly and look to the horizon for brighter days ahead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast