Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do we watch baseball?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Baseball is a great game, although steroids have tarnished the game. Pre-steroid baseball was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I guess let me be the first to say that baseball is no different from other sports. The only reason people enjoy sports is because they have some emotional attachment to the game. At some point in the past good memories were created and now when you turn on the TV or radio or show up at the stadium those memories come flowing back to you and make you feel good. Often times this happens at a subconscious level but it still happens. This is true in the game of baseball and any other sport. All of the other reasons given so far are just smokescreen, a way for your mind to articulate an ethereal experience. Something that is hard to grasp and harder to define. The reasons listed above could all be debunked but what can't be is that at some point in the past you learned to love baseball because you had some good experiences and now when you go to the game you are emotionally invested.
    I like the hats!
    Joe Mauer should hit more home runs. JMO.

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love the individual battles that we see on every single pitch. It is always one guy putting his skill and talent up against another, with a spectacular range of outcomes.

The differences between greatness, average, and mediority are literally a couple of percentage points and mere millimeters many times over.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I guess let me be the first to say that baseball is no different from other sports. The only reason people enjoy sports is because they have some emotional attachment to the game. At some point in the past good memories were created and now when you turn on the TV or radio or show up at the stadium those memories come flowing back to you and make you feel good. Often times this happens at a subconscious level but it still happens. This is true in the game of baseball and any other sport. All of the other reasons given so far are just smokescreen, a way for your mind to articulate an ethereal experience. Something that is hard to grasp and harder to define. The reasons listed above could all be debunked but what can't be is that at some point in the past you learned to love baseball because you had some good experiences and now when you go to the game you are emotionally invested.
    Perhaps you can see a thought in a synapse. I cannot.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    A game of anticipation more than reaction (from a fan perspective).

if you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of the universe in between pitches. not everyone listens carefully.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball is the greatest game because it rewards practice over natural abilities. You don't have to be a perfect physical specimen to be a professional baseball player. It's the only sport I know of without a time limit (sure there are others and would appreciate not being corrected) and it appeals to fans in a way no other can. For example, look at memorabilia prices, the variety of statistics, and calming pace. Unlike the NBA and NFL where a great PG or QB can dramatically improve your team, one player can't make as much of a difference because it requires more out of your teammates. With 162 games, any player, no matter how good, has a bad day every once in a while too. I also have to say that the minor leagues for the MLB are unrivaled by all other professional sports. It's a lot of fun to know about the upcoming players in each of the five affiliates. The low success rate of those prospects also makes it much more interesting because prodigies are fairly rare (discrediting Bryce Harper aka the Chosen One). One last thing that I'll throw in, is that the trade deadline, busy offseason, plethora of transactions, and scouting is a blast for analytic people and armchair GMs alike. The MLB doesn't sleep.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and I like seeing taters mashed.

Liked 1,171 Times in 686 Posts
    So many great things already listed so I'll add something mundane.

From a TV perspective, one thing I love about baseball is that it starts about when most TV programming is going into reruns.

For many years, it was virtually the only "new" programming on the air in the summer months. It's a little different now with the plethora of cable stations and internet options but despite hundreds of stations, baseball games are often still the freshest programming on the air.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    if you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of the universe in between pitches. not everyone listens carefully.
    Sounds of the Universe - YouTube
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Ditto for all the previous answers! I enjoy it because it comes over the radio so good. I know how the plays are going, just by hearing the voices of those covering the game. And when I was young and at the lake with my parents in the summer, Halsey Hall and Herb Carneal and all the rest can still be remembered on a warm summer day! Also the fact that there's a game almost everyday of the best time of the year!!!

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Because of games like the one played earlier today.

Because it's the players who score, rather than the ball.

Because there is no "set time" for a game.

And honestly, for the human element. Umpires may make mistakes and nobody's perfect, but baseball is a great testament to what is truly great- be it Morris' 10 shutout innings in '91 or just having a beer with your old man in mid-July.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12