Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Manship, Benson Optioned; More Roster Moves

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Manship, Benson Optioned; More Roster Moves

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Manship another bullpen domino falling; Butera another step closer to staying.
    Unless they go elsewhere, I believe they'll use Casilla as the backup SS, and Hughes as an emergency SS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm alittle suprised Manship already got sent down. He had a decent chance at making the team. That last spot should come down to Waldrop and Gray.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot say surprised, but certainly disappointed at the Rivera move. Much better spring overall than Butera in all facets of the game. Just hope that the new way of thinking, just means 2 catchers make the team and not a third.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    and with this news, the Twins have one less player who resembles cast members from Dawson's Creek......and I'll join Thrylos wish list of a team with only two catchers.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for jumping on this Seth.

Well, I was wrong about Manship. I really thought he was going to grab that last spot. I think it's a mistake, but if they keep him in the bullpen in Rochester, I'm hopeful he'll rectify that mistake later this season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Friend of mine sent me this:

Dustin Morse tweet: Notable Minor League releases by #Twins today: LHP Matt Bashore, SS Chris Cates, INF Steve Pearce, OF Dustin Martin, RHP Ben Tootle

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I wonder if Manship was actually sent down to get stretched out again. He was a long time starter in the system, and the Twins are suddenly lacking rotation depth.

Towles is catching today - hope he shows some bat!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Pedro Florimon looked interesting yesterday. The slo-mo of his swing showed very good form, but his timing is a little off. Florimon is such an athletic infielder... If Bruno can show this guy how to hit, they'd have themselves a steal. Of course, "how to hit" is merely the toughest single thing in all of sports. Good luck, Pedro!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wonder if Manship was actually sent down to get stretched out again. He was a long time starter in the system, and the Twins are suddenly lacking rotation depth.
    That's an interesting thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Friend of mine sent me this:

Dustin Morse tweet: Notable Minor League releases by #Twins today: LHP Matt Bashore, SS Chris Cates, INF Steve Pearce, OF Dustin Martin, RHP Ben Tootle
    Am I wrong, or are some of these names a little surprising? I know they have Mastoianni, but I'm surprised Martin was released. And wasn't Pearce highly thought of? We're remarked how Rochester was looking awfully crowded this year. It looks like some folks are falling victim to that.

Best of luck guys. I hope your career continues elsewhere.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'm disappointed if Bashore is actually gone as well. He had a lot of promise before having TJ surgery. He only got a handfull of appearances in his return last year, I wouldn't think it would have been a big enough sample size to make any judgements. He must have looked like he wasn't progressing this spring.

When the Twins got Dustin Martin and Drew Butera for Luis Castillo, I would not have imagined that Butera would have lasted longer with the club than the athletic outfielder. Martin's power improved and K's decreased last year, but he is getting a little long in the tooth to be considered relevant with the sudden logjam in the outfield these days.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins in the future will have a faster, defensively good outfield (Josh Willingham will be a liablity defensively out in that big left field this year). Joe Benson is waiting in the wings (and Aaron Hicks later) to speed things up out there, moving Denard Span to Right. Ben Revere can hopefully improve his throwing to put himself in the competition for a starting position. I'm more worried about our pitching longterm than I am am about the outfield.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, I was wrong about Manship. I really thought he was going to grab that last spot. I think it's a mistake, but if they keep him in the bullpen in Rochester, I'm hopeful he'll rectify that mistake later this season.
    Why are we so convinced Manship deserved a spot? Based on 8 2/3 unexceptional spring innings? He's had no success in the majors and has much to prove before he could be looked at as a 7th/8th inning guy in an MLB bullpen. The Twins have their quota of long relievers filled between Swarzak and Maloney.

I will say that you at least had to root for Chris Cates. The guy literally had no shot to make the majors, but he went out there and kept trying. I enjoyed watching him in New Britain. Best of luck to him.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just as an FYI - Darin Mastroianni is listed as a 2B on the minor league Work Groups. I don't know what that means once Dozier, Florimon and Nishioka are all down in Rochester.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Why are we so convinced Manship deserved a spot? Based on 8 2/3 unexceptional spring innings? He's had no success in the majors and has much to prove before he could be looked at as a 7th/8th inning guy in an MLB bullpen. The Twins have their quota of long relievers filled between Swarzak and Maloney.
    +1. Manship has had enough time to try and prove him self in the big leagues. Not surprised at all.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    so this means that Rhodes is likely to be playing 1st base in Beloit till Kennys suspension is over....

Good to see a lively discussion about the Twins' low-level roster moves, rather than picking over the scraps (Revere, Plouffe, Jason "Ramon Ortiz" Marquis) on their 2012 roster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast