Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore and Washington DC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baltimore and Washington DC

I'm moving from Honolulu to Yorktown,VA in less than two weeks and I was just wondering if any one here has experienced Camden Yards or Nationals Park? By any chance any minor league parks in that area, I should check out?

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I have been to Camden Yards and it is quite lovely. The ballpark and area behind the outfield are very enjoyable. I don’t know how many millions of dollars they spent rehabbing the Inner Harbor area but there are a lot of great things in that area- the Babe Ruth birthplace and Maryland Sports Museum are right near the ballpark. If you like seafood, I would recommend the lobster spring rolls at the Rusty Scupper, it’s a restaurant on the harbor with great views. (Kind of expensive as seafood can be, but their appetizers like the spring rolls are very reasonable.) I remember there is also an old ship and submarine that were cool to tour as well as Fort McHenry which is just a short drive from the ballpark. I know there are some less than desirable areas further away from the ballpark but I found the downtown area very nice.

I haven’t been to the Nationals ballpark in Washington DC, someday!

Nationals Park is pretty nice - I like the plaza area in OF before the game. Its been a few years since I've been there, but the product on the field should be nicer in the next couple years.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I consider Camden Yards to be one of the top 5, and maybe top 3, ballparks in MLB. I haven't been to Nationals Park yet. I should point out - you're also just about two hours from Citizen's Bank Park, which is also very nice (and has a wonderful beer collection).

Basically, living on the east coast is a great way to make a half dozen weekend trips to baseball games. Everything can be reached within about 8 hours: BOS, NYY, NYM, PIT. Plus Rochester and the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Make a special trip to see Pittsburgh (where the Twins play in June).

I live in Hampton, VA and will be making the MLB opening in Camden yards to watch the Twins... Camden Yards is an exceptional stadium. I like to stay at the Hampton Inn right accross from the stadium. Nationals Park is new and has nice sight lines, so it might be better than most... Twins don't play there in 2012 as far as I know.

Yorktown is less than an hour from Harbour Park in Norfolk. This is an exceptional AAA park that hosts the Red Wings twice a year. You're also just over an hour from the Diamond in Richmond and those AA Giants host the New Britain Rock Cats at least once per year. Maybe 3 hours away is AA Bowie and that Orioles franchise hosts the Rock Cats once or twice a year. Besides that, you may be able to travel 2-4 hours to a couple Appalacian League games to watch the E-Twins... that's something I still have not done, but hope to do this year. Richmond and Bowie stadiums are pretty bland, but I certainly enjoy the AA games.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I've seen of the E-Town ballpark, it looks beautiful. It's in the middle of a very scenic area.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I enjoy Camden Park, the locale is exceptional due to it being walking distance from the Inner Harbor. (It is a decent walk, not across the street. Think Dome to Warehouse district.) But the options of activities in the Inner Harbor are worth the trip. I am going to DC this year, but won't make it to the Nationals Park. I am hoping to get up to Harrisburg and see a game up there if the Rock Cats are in town. Enjoy the trip.

I live in the Washington suburbs and think Nationals Park is great. (And I hate to say it, but I think the Nats' chances are much better than the Twins' this year.) If you come up to D.C. for something else on a Saturday when the team's away, I highly recommend the behind-the-scenes tour. You get anecdotes about baseball history in Washington, learn about architectural and environmental features, go through the luxury suites, the pressbox, and the clubhouse, sit in the dugout, AND throw a pitch in the bullpen!

Camden Yards is certainly attractive, not counting the local product on the field. A little-known gem next door is Geppi's Entertainment Museum, which is an amazing collection of pop culture memorabilia. Steve Geppi owns the company that has a virtual monopoly on the distribution of comic books, and the crown jewel of the museum is the comic book room, with his collection of every historic comic you can think of, but there are other rooms devoted to toys and games, figures and dolls, cartoon clips, movie posters, etc. from different periods in history. A must-see for comic fans, and well worth a trip for anyone who wants to say, "Hey, I remember that toy / game / doll ...!"

Nationals Park is really cool, but a little bland. I went during the inaugural season and while shiny and fun, it lacked a bit of charm. Probably doesn't help that they completely ignore their history as the Expos so they only had 3-4 years of team history to promote. Haven't been to Camden yet, but most of the people I talk to who have absolutely love it.

Camden Yards/Nats Park

I have spent a lot of time in both parks and am a Nats season ticket holder. Oriole Park at Camden Yards is the nicest park of the two, although I will say I like Target Field better than either one (Target Field is A+ in my book). Camden Yards has an old time feel and the warehouse is great. The downtown area of Baltimore is humming with bars and restaurants. The outfield concourse between the seats and the warehouse is fun and they've marked where long home runs and who hit them out there in the plaza. The club level is OK, but a bit cramped compared to Target Field or Nats Park. I give Camden Yards an "A."

Nats Park is in an underdeveloped section of the District on the Potomac -- so it has potential, but the area is a long way away from reaching it. There are really no bars or decent restaurants nearby yet -- there are couple of beer tents set up outside the park. The park itself has good sightlines and you can buy a cheap ticket and set up shop right behind the lower level $45 dollar seats if you want to stand and watch the game. Some of the nicest features of the park are reserved for higher dollar club level and the two premium levels behind home plate. The bar areas in the club level are really nice. If you are only going to a game or two and want to see the "best" of Nats park, check out Stubhub or Craigslist and buy a premium seat cheap from a seaon ticket holder or somebody who is dumping their corporate seats. Unfortuately, I have to give Nats Park a "B."

Quote Originally Posted by meister View Post
    Yorktown is less than an hour from Harbour Park in Norfolk. This is an exceptional AAA park that hosts the Red Wings twice a year. You're also just over an hour from the Diamond in Richmond and those AA Giants host the New Britain Rock Cats at least once per year. Maybe 3 hours away is AA Bowie and that Orioles franchise hosts the Rock Cats once or twice a year. Besides that, you may be able to travel 2-4 hours to a couple Appalacian League games to watch the E-Twins...
    Durham is also a three hours drive from Yorktown. You can catch some AAA baseball there. Rochester plays a weekend series there in July.

Living in MD suburbs of DC--I do get to both parks. Nationals Park is sterile--not a bad park--no history--nothing outstanding--area around it is also nothing. I am in the minority of prefering old Memorial Stadium (a real ball park) to Camden Yards. But of the new generation of parks Camden Yards is one of the best (I have never been to Target Field). Very history conscious with scoreboard and other stuff and warehouse in RF background. The ball flies--so you dont see too many pitchers duels. Boogs BBQ is best pregame lunch/snack in the world and Boog is always there. Citizen's Bank in Philly is also a bit sterile--but outside the park they do the best job I have seen with pix and info going back to Connie Mack (stadium--I went there in college) and manager. Not located in the nicest area of Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Ball Guy View Post
    Nationals Park is really cool, but a little bland. I went during the inaugural season and while shiny and fun, it lacked a bit of charm. Probably doesn't help that they completely ignore their history as the Expos so they only had 3-4 years of team history to promote. Haven't been to Camden yet, but most of the people I talk to who have absolutely love it.
    You may be right about them ignoring Expos history--I don't remember seeing it honored on the tour we took (though memory is not my strong suit). There are, however, lots of tributes to Washington's previous teams--the Senators and the Homestead Grays of the old Negro Leagues.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you every one for your helpful replies. It will be nice to be stationed in place that I can actually sit and watch some professional baseball. But I will miss not having Twins games take up my whole evening. That was definitely a plus side of living all the way out here in Honolulu

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    I have only been to Camden once. Beautiful stadium, but we were in the lower level under the overhang of the second deck and it felt too closed in. It felt like a different ballpark when we moved down into the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by pogofan View Post
    If you come up to D.C. for something else on a Saturday when the team's away, I highly recommend the behind-the-scenes tour. You get anecdotes about baseball history in Washington, learn about architectural and environmental features, go through the luxury suites, the pressbox, and the clubhouse, sit in the dugout, AND throw a pitch in the bullpen!
    I'm going to DC shortly and now seriously looking into that Tour!!

Sounds like I need to get back to DC and show of my Tony Fiore palmball during that tour.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got orders to Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay out of Baltimore after I complete school in Yorktown,VA. Looks like you're all looking a new season ticket holder of the Orioles. At least I'll get to see the Twins a couple of times next year

Quote Originally Posted by davidjcampbell View Post
    Nationals Park is pretty nice - I like the plaza area in OF before the game. Its been a few years since I've been there, but the product on the field should be nicer in the next couple years.
    +1... I love nationals Park, and they have some really great food there too. One of my favorite places in Washington, and I would definitely suggest sitting in the outfield.
    Last edited by steveosiris; 06-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    Got orders to Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay out of Baltimore after I complete school in Yorktown,VA. Looks like you're all looking a new season ticket holder of the Orioles. At least I'll get to see the Twins a couple of times next year
    Alot of major/minor league baseball is within easy distance of Baltimore. DC, Philly and even NY are also close enough for day trips. You can also watch the Twins AA and AAA teams when they visit Trenton, Reading, Bowie, Lehigh Valley and Harrisburg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast