Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android tablet and phone users, please read

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ugh. I am so bent at Android/Google right now. Apple's method of telling the browser its display specs is so freakin' superior to Android.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way to differentiate an Android phone from a tablet. What a cluster****. Fail, Google. Big, fat, FAIL.
    Just download Dolphin Browser. You can set your User Agent to whatever you'd like for webpage rendering. You can even customize individual pages to individual User Agents. The advantage you'll always have using Android is being able to customize the user experience to something that you want. Sometimes it just takes a little work which can be cumbersome to some.

Screenshot_2013-04-01-11-56-38.png
    Last edited by TheKace; 04-01-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Was being too snarky

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,485 Times in 778 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKace View Post
    Wrong.

Just download Dolphin Browser. You can set your User Agent to whatever you'd like for webpage rendering. You can even customize individual pages to individual User Agents. The advantage you'll always have using Android is being able to customize the user experience to something that you want. Sometimes it just takes a little work which can be cumbersome to some.

Screenshot_2013-04-01-11-56-38.png
    You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem on a single device but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really. The vast majority of users will use whatever browser comes with the phone by default (one of my biggest annoyances with Android... First, they didn't release Chrome for the OS for years and then when they did, some developers ignored it and continued to use their own in-house browser).

Android is super-customizable but it's also a friggin' mess from a development standpoint. Most users still don't even run a version of the OS that supports Chrome, despite the fact that Android started bundling Chrome with Ice Cream Sandwich, which released in October of 2011.

I love some of the stuff Google is doing with Android but as a developer, I'll take Apple's system 105% of the time over Android. It's becoming a complete nightmare to sort device/display issues when tablets are running 1280 resolutions and phones are running 1920 resolutions and some of the manufacturers are doing a lousy job of staying standards-compliant. Allowing manufacturers to make your operating system a free-for-all is good for innovation but it also allows some really bad decisions to be made in place of logical, standards-compliant decisions.

You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really.

My bad, I did not know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Ubuntu will fix all that for you Brock, just wait......
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ubuntu will fix all that for you Brock, just wait......
    Don't even get me started on Linux. Fantastic server OS but I have absolutely zero use for it past that point (excepting the *nix-based OSes OSX, iOS, Android).

You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem on a single device but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really. The vast majority of users will use whatever browser comes with the phone by default (one of my biggest annoyances with Android... First, they didn't release Chrome for the OS for years and then when they did, some developers ignored it and continued to use their own in-house browser).

Android is super-customizable but it's also a friggin' mess from a development standpoint. Most users still don't even run a version of the OS that supports Chrome, despite the fact that Android started bundling Chrome with Ice Cream Sandwich, which released in October of 2011.

I love some of the stuff Google is doing with Android but as a developer, I'll take Apple's system 105% of the time over Android. It's becoming a complete nightmare to sort device/display issues when tablets are running 1280 resolutions and phones are running 1920 resolutions and some of the manufacturers are doing a lousy job of staying standards-compliant. Allowing manufacturers to make your operating system a free-for-all is good for innovation but it also allows some really bad decisions to be made in place of logical, standards-compliant decisions.
    I appreciate the insight. And to help your project, here's what my phone (Nexus 4) looks like on default using Chrome:

Screenshot_2013-04-01-13-30-10.jpg

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, thanks. That's the mobile browser. This issue seems to be rare enough that I don't think I'll need to take action on it for awhile.... At least until 1080p Android phones become more commonplace.

Excellent, thanks. That's the mobile browser. This issue seems to be rare enough that I don't think I'll need to take action on it for awhile.... At least until 1080p Android phones become more commonplace.
    As a developer, what's your opinion on Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    As a developer, what's your opinion on Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8?
    I haven't toyed with either long enough to form a salient opinion.

I really love the UI on Windows 8 phones, though. For my money, Microsoft has the best UIX in the business (as odd as that is to say). i heart Metro.

BlackBerry is dying. They've bungled every opportunity they've had and should have dropped their OS entirely and moved to Android (or, better yet, they should have actively pursued an acquisition by Microsoft to hold on to their enterprise market). At least at that point, they'd regain developer support but with their ever-dwindling marketshare (now somewhere south of 5%), no developer has a real reason to dedicate valuable resources to the (all new again) platform.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    I just tried TD on my old HTC G2. It pulled up the mobile skin as well. This one running the stock browser on Android 2.3.4 (ginger bread).
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Still getting that error on the iPad when I first go here on Chrome. I'll try to take a picture and post it this weekend.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Thanks. I'm going to have to buy an Android tablet just for code-checking... I'll probably wait for the new Nexus 7 tablet, which will probably be announced at Google I/O in mid-May.
    Here's TD on the current Nexus 7:

Screenshot_2013-04-05-10-54-33.jpg

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Here's TD on the current Nexus 7:

Screenshot_2013-04-05-10-54-33.jpg
    So you're getting the mobile skin on the Nexus 7.

/facepalm

I'm not really sure how I'm going to do this without a complete redesign... I'll have to think about this long and hard.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mobile skin on the S3 for me. Never has loaded the full version.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

I am getting the mobile skin on my Nexus 7. Also in the series preview posts I can't read the stats fully.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 300 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could there be tiny "Standard" and "Mobile" links at the top of the site to override the default skin and also set a cookie to remember the user's preference? Don't know the details of the site's software, and I don't have a tablet so it hasn't been an issue for me, but perhaps that way a user could easily circumvent default skinning if they wanted to.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Could there be tiny "Standard" and "Mobile" links at the top of the site to override the default skin and also set a cookie to remember the user's preference? Don't know the details of the site's software, and I don't have a tablet so it hasn't been an issue for me, but perhaps that way a user could easily circumvent default skinning if they wanted to.
    Why, thank you for asking such an appropriate question.

There is such a feature!

At the bottom of every page, there will be an option available to every user.

- If you're on mobile, it should say something like "Use Full Site/Skin" or something like that.

- If you're on desktop, there should be a dropdown menu on the bottom left of the page. Choose "Twins Daily Mobile" to switch to the mobile skin.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,217 Times in 487 Posts
    At the bottom of every page, there will be an option available to every user.

I don't know if this is browser related or what, but that dropdown box on XP/Firefox starts out with an empty field. If you don't click on it you'd never know what purpose it serves. If it's coming up blank on other people's display they may never realize that the style can get changed.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 300 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brock: nice feature! Thanks for anticipating my suggestion! Although like snepp, I too see the blank selection by default -- but only when I'm logged in (which I usually am). If I look at the site in a new browser, not logged in, I see "Twins Daily 3.0" as the default.

Although it's probably more important to switch the other way, and I do indeed see the "Full Site" link at the bottom of the mobile pages.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Huh. That's interesting. I'll look into it. To answer off the cuff, I'd speculate that it has something to do with me deleting old themes and your accounts being older than the theme change. Dunno, have to look into it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast