Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Comment Policy Thread

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Game threads are exactly what we want them to be... Basically, a group of people discussing the events of the game... and whatever else comes to mind. We want to keep it loose and interesting, not necessarily about in-depth game analysis on the fly (though that's okay as well). Basically, a way to hang out and talk with other fans like you're sitting in bleacher seats in the outfield when you can't talk with other fans sitting in the bleacher seats in the outfield.
    And that's great, but it seems like it's the same small (10-15) group of fans every time. Season tickets?

And if other members of the site express concerns, do "we" care?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 308 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    We are working on some updates to the TD comment policy. If any users have any suggestions, please feel free to post them here.
    Do you need a degree in psychology to be a "head moderator"?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,496 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    And that's great, but it seems like it's the same small (10-15) group of fans every time. Season tickets?

If you have concerns about the game threads, we're always open to hearing them. If you have any questions about moderation policy or would like to weigh in on things you see happening, PM glunn about it.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Do the game threads serve their intended purpose?
    For me they have become the most enjoyable part of the site - a place to go and hang with Twins fans without descending into the contentiousness that seems to pop up elsewhere.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts

You're right that there seems to be the same 10- 15 people in the game threads. However, that could be said about threads about payroll, minor league players, etc.

The great thing about the game threads is, if you're not one of the 10-15 regulars, you're still welcome to post and you will be welcomed at any moment by all the regulars. The threads are very lighthearted, but there still is talk about the game going on.

When I post on the game threads, it makes me feel like I'm at a the game chatting with other fans, which is one of my favorite parts of going to a baseball game.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    If you think that this can be improved, we are always open to suggestions.
    While I have nothing against camaraderie, it's too bad we don't have an alternative for the people interested in talking about baseball. While it's clear the gamethreads serve some very prominent members (of which so many moderators participate), the number of posters that actually participate in the game threads seems pretty limited, and after a time, that club, in my opinion, becomes more and more exclusive (not with anyone's intent) and less penetrable to casual members or those of us who just want to talk about baseball. The conversation that seems to take place in game threads, might work better in a real-time chat room, saving a game thread for actually discussion of the game.

Too often, when I wish to see responses to what is happening in the game, I find it very difficult to sift through various inside jokes and silly pics, and just give up. I mean it's fine when we have a losing season to have playful gamethreads. But when we/if start winning games, and people start actually watching the games, I bet there will be some earnest disagreement about the best role of game threads. As another losing season unfolds, I'm not sure this is the best time to have this debate though.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 09-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I got in the habit of reading game thread just before I went to bed at one time. Good group of guys and gal. RB should be on television. Not a lot of structure and they seem to go wondering off in different directions at times. It's kind of a boys will be boys type thing.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,825 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    While I have nothing against camaraderie, it's too bad we don't have an alternative for the people interested in talking about baseball. While it's clear the gamethreads serve some very prominent members (of which so many moderators participate), the number of posters that actually participate in the game threads seems pretty limited, and after a time, that club, in my opinion, becomes more and more exclusive (not with anyone's intent) and less penetrable to casual members or those of us who just want to talk about baseball. The conversation that seems to take place in game threads, might work better in a real-time chat room, saving a game thread for actually discussion of the game.

Too often, when I wish to see responses to what is happening in the game, I find it very difficult to sift through various inside jokes and silly pics, and just give up. I mean it's fine when we have a losing season to have playful gamethreads. But when we/if start winning games, and people start actually watching the games, I bet there will be some earnest disagreement about the best role of game threads. As another losing season unfolds, I'm not sure this is the best time to have this debate though.
    For me the game thread provides an alternative to the typical thread. As I said above, it's a different animal. I was a more involved poster on BYTO than I am here as the way the threads here become, or in some cases, start. They get over-run with same posters beating a point into the ground that the actual information wanes or has been stated 100 times over that it's no longer enjoyable to read, not to mention the posters who can never get past a single theme and spiral every thread into that.

But you hit on a point ... 'I mean it's fine when we have a losing season ...' I bet when there is more to talk about than mostly abysmal game watching things will change. As you said, let's have a winning season to compare what we have. But, even in a winning season, I would still hope the game threads keep their light-hearted feel. While I'm not a casual fan, I'm also not going to bring my spread sheets, stats reports, and rule book to a game.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts

To slightly add to this, if you do pop in to comment on a game event it gets lost in the sea of extraneous comments.

Maybe, as a testament to this threads remarks on it, the game has two threads - one devoted to bleacher-esque fun and zany antics and another more in the vein of those who fill out stat sheets and are 100% focused on the game. Might help soothe some of the concerns. Just call one "in the bleachers" or something.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 308 Times in 150 Posts
    I vote for a better team to watch and find out what happens on game threads.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good post and I had to think about it.

I would hope to keep the light-hearted atmostphere, but I agree that discussion of things that happen during the game should have a place, and that does happen sometimes, but it can also get lost. There should be a way to have a serious discussion about strategy during a particular game - should the runner have gone or not, when to pull the starter, the value of a pinch hitter and bench usage issues, a particular call by an umpire, etc. And those discussions can and sometimes should be critical of a decision that was made in an individual game.

I do hope that game threads don't just become another vehicle for general grumbling about the franchise. Perhaps some way to encourage discussion about a particular game itself, both positive and negative, while also having a "gentleman's agreement" that this is not the place to touch upon such issues as front office staff, ownership, payroll, draft strategy, FA signings, etc.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 09-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    I don't know, if people only talked about baseball in the game thread, it seems it would just lead to increased negativity which is already causing friction.

Liked 688 Times in 360 Posts
    Blog Entries

Everyone is welcome in all threads, especially game threads, and constructive suggestions for improvement are always considered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Do you need a degree in psychology to be a "head moderator"?
    It would probably help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I got in the habit of reading game thread just before I went to bed at one time. Good group of guys and gal. RB should be on television. Not a lot of structure and they seem to go wondering off in different directions at times. It's kind of a boys will be boys type thing.
    I totally agree about RB deserving his own show.

Blog Entries

You make some very insightful points. Once the Twins become more competitive, I would like to revisit this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    To slightly add to this, if you do pop in to comment on a game event it gets lost in the sea of extraneous comments.

Maybe, as a testament to this threads remarks on it, the game has two threads - one devoted to bleacher-esque fun and zany antics and another more in the vein of those who fill out stat sheets and are 100% focused on the game. Might help soothe some of the concerns. Just call one "in the bleachers" or something.
    I believe that this would be worth a try, but wonder how many people would participate in the serious game thread. We have nothing to lose by trying. If you want to start a thread called "serious game thread", then we will make it a sticky thread and see how it goes.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,496 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see two game threads breaking posters into two groups who both end up drifting away and not contributing.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Intoxication makes me a more active and useful contributor to the game thread.

So that's an idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I see two game threads breaking posters into two groups who both end up drifting away and not contributing.
    This is a good point and you may be correct. However, what do we have to lose by giving this a try? It may turn out that the people who want a serious game thread will be happy with what they get and those who want to sit in the bleachers and have fun continue to get what they want. On the other hand, if this does not work out, then we can go back to the status quo or try something else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast