Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Good Days & Bad Days

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point, I'd place Burroughs before Hollimon or any Catcher for that 4th Bench spot.

Bench:

Mastroianni
    Plouffe
    Hughes
    Burroughs

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. Like I said in the story, both a catcher or a utility infielder are essentially luxuries. I think they're luxuries that Gardenhire values, and I think adding Parmelee to the team reduces the need for a LHed bench bat, but I there are a lot of legitimate ways the Twins could go with that last spot.

I'm loving Parmalee's production. Putting him in the line-up looks like a no-brainer, but it definitely makes me worry about the outfield.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see Doumit playing much in right field. I think there are so many lineups. 1.) With Morneau at 1B (means Parmelee in RF), 2.) With Morneau at DH (means Parmelee at 1B), 3.) Days that Mauer plays 1B (or DH).... there are so many options with the lineup. This can be good or bad.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 467 Times in 178 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe: it might be an experiment in terror, but Trevor should be used as a Super Utility player. If he could figure out his throwing issues his value increases 100%. This can be a year to take those chances as it is pretty much a rebuilding year.

If Revere were having a bad spring, I could see him getting some burn at AAA, but I pretty much beside myself that Willingham needing to play LF is going to decide who plays and who doesn't. If this is the case, it's another instance of crappy homework done by the organization. If this is all really just a way to say Parmelee >>>> Revere, then maybe it's okay, as long as Revere actually plays LF when he plays.

I don't trust a thing this organization does or any decisions they make, from Terry Ryan to Wayne Krivsky to Ron Gardenhire to Deron Johnson. Sorry, mini-rant. Nice scouting on Terry Doyle.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think their scouting was pretty accurate on Terry Doyle...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was a good weekend in many ways... I'm hoping that Morneau is turning the corner, and I'm loving that Revere may be headed to the bench. I agree that AAA might be beneficial to him, but from what I can tell, I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling already. I'm not sure he's got much more to learn. His ceiling is a 4th OF. He'll be a very good one, but I'm really not seeing much more unless he starts taking massive numbers of walks, which will only happen if he can start driving the ball a bit more.

Given the size of Target Field and our pitchers, an outfield with limited range scares me. If the lineup can produce it could be ok, but that's a big outfield to cover.

Watching people overreact to a tiny sample of Parmelee is getting farcical.

Is there a non-zero possibility that he's turned some sort of corner and is the sort of hitter he was in 88 PAs last year married to (I'm guessing here) 40 PAs in Spring Freaking Training? Sure.

Is it significant? No.

It's like people might even know (or have the sense) that in a sample of 100 players whose true talent is to hit, say, .230/.270/.330, one or two of them will put up awesome numbers in a given 100 PA sample - that's just how random variation works - but they refuse to believe that could possibly be this Parmelee guy - who did nothing in the minor leagues to suggest he was MLB ready - because BY GOD they've seen him crush a few balls.

What is lost by sending him to AAA? You remove a massive risk of non-production at a key position and of lost or even regressed development for Parmelee. And 6-8 weeks of tearing it up in Rochester (because that's what he's likely to do if his bat is truly ready to carry first base or an outfield corner) will tell you if he has somehow hit the developmental lottery. Realistically, he needs a season in AAA if he's going to be a viable major leaguer.

*sigh* It could be REALLY ugly when teams start pitching to him with book in hand a month or so in.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Spot on assessment, tobynotjason.