Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Game of Thrones

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'll try and give Enterprise a shot, I never really did after Voyager.
    Enterprise is good. It took me a while to get over the fact that it wasn't continuing into the future. But the characters and writing are probably more authentic than any other Trek show, though still very much trekkie.

2. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (07-01-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    DS9 really made use of narrative arcs spanning episodes and even seasons at the very end. While nearly all of TNG is stand alone episodes, DS9 moved towards a narrative structure that popularizes nearly all the successful shows. You can really see Ronald D. Moore's (Battle Star Gallatica producer/writer) influence as DS9 grows up.
    True. Some amount of context for time period is needed for the shows. TNG came from the era of single episode stories. Just a few years later, DS9 was one of the first shows to start spanning seasons with story arcs (X-Files is probably the earliest and best example of this change in approach).

In today's time, DS9 holds up better because of this reason. Modern television is capable of so much more nuance than television of just 25 years ago. I rarely watched television as a child because even as a kid, I struggled with the lack of real consequence seen in television stories. Today, I watch more television than I do movies due to the capabilities brought by on-demand television and binge-watching. It allows television producers to create work with the subtlety and consequence of film, only they can do it over years and hundreds of hours of content. Breaking Bad is a shining example of such content.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Troy was useless, which is one of my biggest problems with the character.

I yearned for the day when she'd squint her eyes and say "I sense hostility" after a first encounter over the com only to have Picard stand up, adjust his uniform, and just backhand her right there on the bridge.
    I love that episode where she loses her ability and Riker tells her off. I think it's called the Loss, but it's worth watching just because of how much the Jonathan Frazen (as Riker) seems to enjoy putting Troy in her place.

For such a supposedly progressive show, TNG had unforgivably dated women characters and plotlines. All the Geordi-centric episodes were god awful too.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Enterprise is good. It took me a while to get over the fact that it wasn't continuing into the future. But the characters and writing are probably more authentic than any other Trek show, though still very much trekkie.
    And the theme song. Good lord, that theme song. Brilliant imagery presented over what might be the most atrocious lyrics ever put to music.

It's so bad that my wife and I still joke about it constantly, years after we watched the show. For a minute, we seriously considered walking down the aisle to that song because it would have been so damned hilarious.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    The final season of Enterprise was quite good, other than the horrible finale.

DS-9 was easily my favorite, suffering only in comparison to Babylon 5.

But DS-9 gave us Vic Fontaine and Morn, which elevates it.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I've always wondered if what made DS9 more successful at the narrative element was that it was a network staple as opposed to TNG's syndicated existence. (If I'm remembering that correctly that is)

Either way I appreciate the Enterprise advice. I let Voyager destroy my Trek watching and never gave it a fair shot.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    The final season of Enterprise was quite good, other than the horrible finale.
    Man, I was so disappointed that they weren't able to finish the story arc started in the fourth season. The show was cancelled at the wrong time and the network forced the producers to ham-handedly end the series with one of the worst finale episodes ever put on television.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Could have been worse, could have been handled like Firefly.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Could have been worse, could have been handled like Firefly.....
    Ugh. Just ugh. I'm not in love with Firefly like so many of my fellow geeks but it was a pretty good show that deserved a lot better than it received.

On that note, so did The Tick, which released during that same period but only made it nine episodes.

That show was freakin' hilarious. It deserved so much better.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I love Firefly. Some great, great characters. And some humor, and super dark moments.
    Lighten up Francis....

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I've watched every Trek episode....multiple times.

Love Firefly.

I am geek.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Firefly was good. And at least they had Serenity as a follow-up. Another series I thought died young was Terra Nova.

For now Walking Dead and Falling Skies are what I follow. Who, of course, and it would be nice if Torchwood gets some kind of update.

And I still hold out hope for Agents of Shield.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Man, I was so disappointed that they weren't able to finish the story arc started in the fourth season. The show was cancelled at the wrong time and the network forced the producers to ham-handedly end the series with one of the worst finale episodes ever put on television.

I wasn't watching it when it came out, so I missed most of this... I'm a bit surprised though that it didn't do well. I started watching and from start, right up until the end, I was always looking forward to the next one... Season 4 struck me as a 'tie up as many loose ends as possible' type thing.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    For now Walking Dead
    If you haven't read the source material avoid it like a zombie plague. It's VASTLY superior to the show, so if you enjoy it now, don't ruin it for yourself thinking about what might have been.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345