Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Yeah its tough to shake an actors' face and voice once you've seen it. The actress who plays Cersei especially, she just does not deliver with nearly as much venom or impact as I'd imagined her. Nothing worse than a weak villain IMHO.
    I think Lena Headey is awesome in the role. She has a restrained coldness that I think fits the character nicely.

After all, the character isn't necessarily evil, only self-serving.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Yeah, I love how Cersei is portrayed. I think sometimes it's too easy to make a character campy or too over the top, her cold indifference is really well acted.

As for last night, the slow build to that gutting of the moral core of the show was brilliantly done.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    The Starks seem so gun-ho through the entire affair, that they didn't even consider betrayal; I kept waiting for it, yes, until the point that I no longer thought it would happen. What was surprising was the casual brutality of the Freys.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-03-2013 at 08:35 PM.

I was more surprised by the casual brutality of Bolton. He's been presented, thus far, as a mostly loyal, ho-hum character. I mean, he let Jaime go secretly and that was a bit alarming, but he's hardly been portrayed as a ruthless turncoat waiting to happen. Frey has always been shown, at least to some degree, as a tentative/undesirable alliance.

I read in a review that the salt and bread thing was highlighted early in the episode because that was an ancient Westeros tradition meant to ensure safety against betrayl. So not only did Bolton and Frey betray them, they basically took a big steaming dump all over some very engrained traditions in doing so. I love the nuance and the brutality of it even more on the second viewing.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Yep, the books mention the bread and salt thing a few times.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The interwebs are apparently a mess over the Red Wedding. For me, that is one of the high points of the books. Everything leading up to it is so well written. Maybe I'm nostalgic or something, but I really love this whole section of the books in and around Book 3.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I was more surprised by the casual brutality of Bolton. He's been presented, thus far, as a mostly loyal, ho-hum character. I mean, he let Jaime go secretly and that was a bit alarming, but he's hardly been portrayed as a ruthless turncoat waiting to happen. Frey has always been shown, at least to some degree, as a tentative/undesirable alliance.

I read in a review that the salt and bread thing was highlighted early in the episode because that was an ancient Westeros tradition meant to ensure safety against betrayl. So not only did Bolton and Frey betray them, they basically took a big steaming dump all over some very engrained traditions in doing so. I love the nuance and the brutality of it even more on the second viewing.
    I know this thread is a bit old, but when a house takes people under their care and protection in their own house and then to betray that oath with murder is one of the most grave sins you can commit in the Game of Thrones universe. The North does not forget.

My god has Season 4 been well done. We're not even at the usual penultimate episode (typically the best) and I've been utterly shaken by a few of the recent episodes.

Really fantastic stuff.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I missed last night's episode, but I know it's good when my wife texts me saying it was gruesome...

Gruesome is an understatement. And that says nothing of the 55 minutes before that scene that were equally as captivating.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The Starks seem so gun-ho through the entire affair, that they didn't even consider betrayal; I kept waiting for it, yes, until the point that I no longer thought it would happen.
    An old post but I just saw it.

The Starks are idiots. It's one of my bigger problems with the books. The only characters you genuinely like (barring Sansa) continually put themselves in jeopardy and end up dead.

Realistic? Maybe. Enjoyable? Not after 4,500 pages of flogging that horse. It was a great set-up in Game of Thrones but by the fourth book, it starts to wear thin and breaks reader trust.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

13. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (06-09-2014)

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    Oh my..

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    Every older (male) cousin ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    An old post but I just saw it.

The Starks are idiots. It's one of my bigger problems with the books. The only characters you genuinely like (barring Sansa) continually put themselves in jeopardy and end up dead.

Realistic? Maybe. Enjoyable? Not after 4,500 pages of flogging that horse. It was a great set-up in Game of Thrones but by the fourth book, it starts to wear thin and breaks reader trust.
    now-you-see-demotivational-poster-1253722246.jpg

To be serious though, most books rely on the foil characters to make these sort of mistakes. It's a bit refreshing to see the heroes have this flaw for a change.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Season was pretty meh overall. They have done a crappy job developing stannis, snow and Dany and her stupid dragons into interesting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Season was pretty meh overall. They have done a crappy job developing stannis, snow and Dany and her stupid dragons into interesting characters.
    And I thought it was by far the most packed and riveting season yet. To each their own.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I haven't watched the latest season yet but Dani turns into a pretty lame character in the books as well. She's great up to the time she frees the slaves but then turns whiny and boring afterward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I haven't watched the latest season yet but Dani turns into a pretty lame character in the books as well. She's great up to the time she frees the slaves but then turns whiny and boring afterward.
    Towards the end of the last book, things pick up with her.

That said, it will be interesting to see how they go forward with the next season. Season 4 jumped into both books 4 and 5 while they've been saying that this really wraps up with book 3. I'd imagine they have one good season left before they run out of material (as book 6 and 7 aren't out yet).

Definitely thought this was one of the better seasons yet. Really enjoyed it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast