Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Five predictions

  1. #21
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,706
    Like
    862
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    3. Correia will be alright... Just alright... And everyone will still hate him.
    4. Hicks will get the job done... Nothing jaw dropping... We will worry about him for a stretch but he will get it together because of his patience at the plate. All in All... Just a decent rookie year as he starts down his MLB path.
    5. Plouffe will hit 34 homers
    3) You must be referring to the "new all right", you know: 4-5 runs given up over 5-6 innings, just sufficient enough to at least keep the Twins in the game...

    4) Hicks has shown enough this spring, that the alternatives, what few there are, would be woefully worse, no matter how much he might struggle at times. Maybe one short-term "demotion" is possible, but he'd be called back up a lot faster than Parmelee was last year.

    5) I'm still wondering if that month happened last year or was it all a dream. Bruno might be the key here in making your prediction come to fruition, you get both Plouffe and Parmelee mashing down at the bottom of the order and the season will become a lot more enjoyable.

  2. #22
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,749
    Like
    4,821
    Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    This is how threads get derailed.

    To clarify, again. Nobody hates Correia. In fact, he is a pleasant fellow. The argument is only that Correia is neither:

    a "pretty darn good pitcher"
    an "innings eater"
    an improvement over the in-house options
    proved himself worthy of a job for 2013, much less 2014
    lol... Threads get derailed when someone isolates one point out of 5 and highlights that one point... Especially when that point is about Correia.

    Just having some fun.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,654
    Like
    9
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    An aggregate of the Hicks projections at Fangraphs, BP, and elsewhere looks something like this: .235/.320/.365, with a K rate of about 25% and 12 HR, 18 SB, 70 runs if he were to manage 600 PA's in 2013.

    Assuming that he puts up a line like that more or less consistently through April, does he stay up? Should he? Is the reputation he has for slow starts after promotions a cause for optimism that he's on the right track if he manages an April like that? And if he ends up with a line like that after a full season, will it have been worth it?

    Also, while I like your optimism regarding Dozier, it's hard to find any projection that shows him getting on base at a .300 or better clip, and most figure him for about a .285 obp.
    Fangraphs or any other projection is more than likely would be based on a statistical model of average regression from level to level rather than any assessment actual talent. It effectively discounts the player learning to use the talent at a higher level more effectively.

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,749
    Like
    4,821
    Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    3) You must be referring to the "new all right", you know: 4-5 runs given up over 5-6 innings, just sufficient enough to at least keep the Twins in the game...

    4) Hicks has shown enough this spring, that the alternatives, what few there are, would be woefully worse, no matter how much he might struggle at times. Maybe one short-term "demotion" is possible, but he'd be called back up a lot faster than Parmelee was last year.

    5) I'm still wondering if that month happened last year or was it all a dream. Bruno might be the key here in making your prediction come to fruition, you get both Plouffe and Parmelee mashing down at the bottom of the order and the season will become a lot more enjoyable.
    If I were Hicks... I'd still consider Mastro a starting CF threat. However, barring a complete collapse at the plate... I think Hicks will keep his job with Defense.

    That Plouffe month happened and if he can do that... He can hit 34 with health. He may only hit .220 but he can hit 34.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    445
    Like
    1
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Response to the original 5:
    2- only for about ten days
    I don't know much, but I know that Hicks will not be sent down for only 10 days. First it is a complete waste of an option. And those 10 days would still count as major league service time. Any optional assignment of 20 days or less would still count as accrued service time.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I don't know much, but I know that Hicks will not be sent down for only 10 days. First it is a complete waste of an option. And those 10 days would still count as major league service time. Any optional assignment of 20 days or less would still count as accrued service time.
    Because of its beginning, I read this all in Aaron Neville's voice. That was the highlight of my morning so far.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    665
    Like
    199
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey stringer bell - this is a fun thread.

    I would correct and explain every prediction that has been made here, but the Internet is only so big.

  8. #28
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,573
    Like
    196
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Hey stringer bell - this is a fun thread.

    I would correct and explain every prediction that has been made here, but the Internet is only so big.
    Thanks buddy. That is what I am here for!

  9. #29
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    1) Twins lose 103 games
    2)Gardenhire is given an extention
    3)Parm turns into a hitter, but not a justin type , but more of a average joe type
    4)Justin is traded for 2 c+ prospects and wins a silve slugger award in 2014
    5)during the next off season Mr. Ryan will talk Jaime Moyer out of retirement and sign him to a 2 year contract , claiming he signed a pretty darn good pitcher (from the 60s)

  10. #30
    "To clarify, again. Nobody hates Correia."

    I think there are many whose misguided frustrations target the player, not GM who signed him or the manager who hands him the ball. It seems like some already hate Correia despite his not yet throwing a regular season pitch for the Twins. I don't hate him, and you don't hate him, but it smells a little like many others do. That being said, I'm not as down on him as most and think he will be serviceable on the mound and valuable in the clubhouse for the wave of young pitchers soon heading our way. I also am not as angry with TR/Gardy as many seem to be. As an optimist, I tend to take a wait and see approach and I understand that they know more about the game than I do.

    As a realistic-optimist, I also believe that this season will be a long one which isn't likely to bring us anywhere near .500 on the season. We will, however, be given reasons to be genuinely excited about 2014 and especially 2015 and beyond.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    4
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    The original five:

    1) The Twins will use more than 10 starting pitchers.
    I agree, but I'm not troubled by it. Add Diamond and Gibson to the five we're starting with and you're up to 7. Pitchers missing starts + September call-ups get you to 10 easily.

    2) Aaron Hicks will be optioned to Rochester at some point this year.
    Not a chance. Did you see that double-play-that-wasn't? Hicks outran a fly ball in the gap, then threw on the run (running towards the foul line) to first base for a double play. All for naught because a balk was called. Nevertheless, we finally have a CF that can throw the ball! Let Buxton play LF.

    3) At least two players that go north will be traded by the July 31 trade deadline.
    I would love to see Correia traded. That would mean we don't need him any more. OK, I'm dreaming. If we're sellers at the deadline, I think Willingham and Carroll and your choice of veteran pitchers could be traded. Make room for more youngsters.

    4) Pedro Florimon will not start 100 games at SS for the 2013 Twins. This could be true. I haven't seen enough of Escobar, but they say he's a better fielder. That's all we need from SS.

    5) Brian Dozier will establish himself as a major league regular at second base. Agreed.


    Now my predictions:

    1. The starting pitching will be better than last year, and could be a lot better if Gibson returns to form.

    2. Morneau and Mauer are both going to have monster years. If the rest of the lineup does as well as it did last year (in the aggregate), we will score 100 more runs.

    3. Dozier will establish himself as an average-hitting, superior-fielding second baseman.

    4. Hicks will establish himself as an average-hitting, superior-fielding CF and come in third for ROY honors.

    5. Parmalee will be a bust, and end up platooning with Mastroianni in RF.

    6. Twins will win 81 games.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    1. Hicks will be in the top 3 in votes for ROY
    2. Mauer will be MVP
    3. Dozier and Florimon will catch enough balls to stay the regulars up the middle all year
    4. Escobar will play well and often at both SS and 2B
    5. Neither Correia nor Worely will finish he season in the rotation
    6. Alex Meyer will be in the rotation in August

  13. #33
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,348
    Like
    410
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    1) Deduno will continue his dominance in AAA and will become a permanent member of the rotation. He will be the starting pitching bright spot this season.

    2) Morneau will be back to his old self and get traded to the Blue Jays for Noah Syndergaard and a throw in middle infielder. He will finish his career with the Twins after winning the World Series (hey, one can dream).

    3) The middle infield will not be good. Dozier will show enough to keep his job, but no one is going to be excited about him.

    4) Plouffe and Parmalee will show their bats are for real.

    5) Pitching will be bad as Pelfrey and Correia will struggle mightily and Diamond will regress. Worley will put up #3 stats.

    Other thoughts: Arcia will hit well and Benson will re-establish his value as well. Hicks will be good enough to keep the job but not inspiring. The Twins are going to draft two good college pitchers in the first two rounds and trade Willingham for a decent AA SS prospect.

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,485
    Like
    150
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    1) Deduno will continue his dominance in AAA and will become a permanent member of the rotation. He will be the starting pitching bright spot this season.

    2) Morneau will be back to his old self and get traded to the Blue Jays for Noah Syndergaard and a throw in middle infielder. He will finish his career with the Twins after winning the World Series (hey, one can dream).

    3) The middle infield will not be good. Dozier will show enough to keep his job, but no one is going to be excited about him.

    4) Plouffe and Parmalee will show their bats are for real.

    5) Pitching will be bad as Pelfrey and Correia will struggle mightily and Diamond will regress. Worley will put up #3 stats.

    Other thoughts: Arcia will hit well and Benson will re-establish his value as well. Hicks will be good enough to keep the job but not inspiring. The Twins are going to draft two good college pitchers in the first two rounds and trade Willingham for a decent AA SS prospect.
    I have a feeling the Mets might object to that.

  15. #35
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,348
    Like
    410
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    got to stop using older propsect lists.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    4
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Hicks got another catch-em-out--throw-em-out double play today. Denard who?

  17. #37
    Junior Member Rookie Puckmen's Avatar
    Posts
    16
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    1. The Twins will win 88 games, shock the world and make the playoffs.
    Yikes, I think you might have been hitting the vodka a little too hard when you wrote that!

  18. #38
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,348
    Like
    410
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm surprised he said 88. Usually his early season predictions top 100.

  19. #39
    Here's mine (maybe more wish list) - Joe will move into the #2 batting order slot. Bat .355. OBP = .475. HR = 4. GIDP = 24. Which means that when he's not getting base, he's rolling over grounders to 2B.

    Maybe I don't dream big enough!

  20. #40
    1) Justin Morneau is the AL MVP.
    2) Joe Mauer hits .343.
    3) Mike Pelfrey win 15 games.
    4) Jamey Carroll starts the most games at SS.
    5) Josh Willingham is named World Series MVP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.