Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gardenhire announces his outfield plans

@OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Late game defense should still be improved. I'd expect to see Span and Revere filling two OF spots for the final inning or two, similarly to how Gomez and Span were used together late in games 3 years ago. I'm going to continue to hope Willingham isn't the liability that Young was, as well.

Revere is going to be kept to spell Span once or twice a week. It's my understanding that Span is still complaining of headaches, whether they stem from last season's concussion or are related to his previous vertigo maladies... I think Revere's strength will come in late-inning defensive replacement and pinch-running.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's my understanding that Span is still complaining of headaches, whether they stem from last season's concussion or are related to his previous vertigo maladies...
    I haven't read anything about that. Hope not. But I do think Revere would get plenty of time in the OF.

It was a week ago when Span was sitting out with neck stiffness. He wasn't sure if it was contributing to the occassional headache, or if he was still having residual effects from the concussion. He had said it was nothing he was worried about, but I think Span will sit more in the first weeks of the season to make sure...

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. I gotta say, this is a death knell for Revere's future as a starting outfielder, at least this year. I've been checked out of spring training games for the last week or so. Has he been struggling? In need of an attitude adjustment? I'll also say that Willingham, IMHO, has not looked bad in right field on those few appearances I've seen of him out there.

I'm a little stunned about this, to be honest with you. It's a plot twist to be sure.

But it does make all the puzzle pieces fit together. It protects Morneau. Doumit doesn't have to play first base, which he's said he isn't comfortable with. It rewards Parmelee's torrid spring, and a platoon of Parmelee and Plouffe (or Doumit and plouffe) make nice platoons.

Blog Entries
    I gotta say, this is a death knell for Revere's future as a starting outfielder, at least this year. I've been checked out of spring training games for the last week or so. Has he been struggling? In need of an attitude adjustment?
    Offensively, no. This spring he's 12-for-37 (.324) with a pair of doubles and three stolen bases. The only comments I've heard is that he is having troubles picking the ball off the ground and that his arm still is not up to snuff (which makes the choice of using him as a RF odd...).

I'll also say that Willingham, IMHO, has not looked bad in right field on those few appearances I've seen of him out there.
    There was one ball in the Yankees game (I believe...one of the televised ones anyways) in which he made a few steps in and the ball was pounded to the warning track. Happens to everyone but seeing that he rates poorly on making plays behind him, I can see that being more of a trend than a mirage.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing is, Willingham is going to be a bad outfielder defensively regardless of which corner spot he takes. Parmelee has played a ton of RF in his minor league career, but none in LF, so that is probably the bigger driver in the decision, in my opinion. Revere sounded resigned to going to Rochester, but I don't think that'll happen. I'm one who believes he should not play in RF because of the arm and the 1st to 3rd plays. Plouffe, Parmelee, Doumit can play RF... Revere can backup in LF and CF.

Blog Entries
    Parmelee has played a ton of RF in his minor league career, but none in LF
    I don't know if we should say a ton -- especially in the past two years where it was 57 games (and who knows how many actual innings out there). He played a lot more at the lower levels. It will be interesting to see where he is at now a few years removed from playing there regularly. As the range factor indicates, I don't think he can be any worse than Cuddyer out there.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Parmelee is the starting RF that is great! He was the bright spot of last season with his September call up and he has continued swinging the bat with the best of them this spring. Although I was interested to see what Revere could do in the starting role as far as SB's and Avg. are concerned, I view him as no better than a 4th OF. As we all know he has no arm and can hit a little bit with no punch and does not walk much. This offense concerns me and we need more fire power. I know that Parmelee's Minor League stats are not the stuff dreams are made of, but the age of 23 seems to be around the time individuals start figuring some things out. He looks solid and I think you have to let him have a go of it. It might not be the best case scenario defensively, but we need offense. Plouffe will get his share of time jumping around the OF and IF and Doumit has had his share of injuries, he is no guarantee. I hope that the writing on the wall is true and Parmelee is in the starting line-up on Opening Day.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't heard that Willingham had done too bad in RF either, but during one of the rain delays today, Gladden made an allusion to Willingham not looking at all good in RF and that this move reflected the Twins accepting that. Granted, you have to consider the source.

Revere clearly isn't going to be a starting MLB right fielder, so you may be right about this being a death knell for his chances. I figured that, realistically, he had until Benson could prove he can hit MLB hitting to make his case... but he may not end up having that long.

I guess I am a little confused. I will never pretend that I was a good baseball player and you can call me naive, but how difficult is it for a professional left fielder to move to the other side of the outfield. I guess I just don't understand why he would have a hard time with this. Could someone help me understand... Because it seems to me the best situation would be to have Willingham in right.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anything is set in stone yet. Revere could still end up taking the majority of the starts in LF. If Morneau is completely healthy, he gets a lot of starts at 1B. Willingham could get starts at DH. There is a lot of flexibility this year. I don't think there will be many guys starting over 150 games this year, even if everyone is 100% healthy.

Revere is probably too good and too young to get buried on the bench. Even if the Twins wanted to trade him, you won't get much for him till he proves he could be a big league regular.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I haven't read anything about that. Hope not. But I do think Revere would get plenty of time in the OF.
    Especially when Scott Baker is pitching. Then you put Revere in CF, Span in RF and Plouffe in LF, and watch how fast they can run.

Wow, the kool-aid is flowing freely among these Twins faithful. Ben Revere? Really? The rest of the AL Central will be saying (while laughing to themselves), "don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

The best joke I've seen in a long time is how posters here believe the Twins are relevant this year. Doesn't matter whether they win 63 or 73 games, this is a dead team walking. Show some discernment, fellows, or you're gonna be ridiculed as much as the Twins are.

That is all.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bremner View Post
    Wow, the kool-aid is flowing freely among these Twins faithful. Ben Revere? Really? The rest of the AL Central will be saying (while laughing to themselves), "don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

The best joke I've seen in a long time is how posters here believe the Twins are relevant this year. Doesn't matter whether they win 63 or 73 games, this is a dead team walking. Show some discernment, fellows, or you're gonna be ridiculed as much as the Twins are.

That is all.
    Okay, I'm curious, how are the Twins irrelevant?
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bremner View Post

That is all.
    Don't count the Twins out yet... Yes, you can look at last year and say they lost 99 games. But how much did Mauer play? How much did Morneau play? How much did Span play? M&M appear to be healthier than they have in years. Span is still recovering, but will be an impact player.*

Yes, there are problems with the starting rotation. But I believe Twins management will be less likely to put up with ineffective players at any level. Changes are coming, probably in the way of promotions, or waiver picks.*

I hope the naysayers on this post go clear up to AL Central management. If they write off the Twins, maybe they'll keep their tougher pitchers and best players for other teams, and the Twins can take advantage.

Don't count the Twins out yet. And no, this isn't a "dead team walking."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    That crash we just heard is Ben Revere's trade value jumping out the window. If the team only views him as a fourth outfielder (5th? 6th?) why weren't they shopping him all preseason and trying to sell another club on his youth, years of team control, minor league track record and unmatched range?

They can't believably claim they want him around to be a defensive replacement or pinch runner, they can call on Mastroianni to do that at any point. What a waisted opportunity to score a decent pitching prospect from another team. Telling the rest of the league how little you value the guy takes away any leverage. Same old MO, see Slowey, Young, Hardy and Lohse.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 03-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.

A little more realistic discourse here, that recognizes the Twins lowly station would be welcome. News alert - Josh Willingham is lead-footed in the outfield - do you want to admit that now, or do you want to reveal your lack of credibility by missing that crucial point and instead pussyfoot about debating whether he is better in RF or LF? There's a whole league of teams out there who are gearing up and strategizing for the upcoming season, and rest assured that their plans, to a team, include not an iota of concern about your Minnesota Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That crash we just heard is Ben Revere's trade value jumping out the window. If the team only views him as a fourth outfielder (5th? 6th?) why weren't they shopping him all preseason and trying to sell another club on his youth, years of team control, minor league track record and unmatched range?

They can't believably claim they want him around to be a defensive replacement or pinch runner, they can call on Mastroianni to do that at any point. What a waisted opportunity to score a decent pitching prospect from another team. Telling the rest of the league how little you value the guy takes away any leverage. Same old MO, see Slowey, Young, Hardy and Lohse.
    This Nick kid shows some promise. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast