Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Article: Gardenhire announces his outfield plans

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bremner View Post
    There's a whole league of teams out there who are gearing up and strategizing for the upcoming season, and rest assured that their plans, to a team, include not an iota of concern about your Minnesota Twins.
    I hope you're right, but I doubt it. No. 1 rule: Never underestimate your opposition.
    Last edited by lee_the_twins_fan; 03-25-2012 at 10:49 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    396
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bremner View Post
    A little more realistic discourse here, that recognizes the Twins lowly station would be welcome. News alert - Josh Willingham is lead-footed in the outfield - do you want to admit that now, or do you want to reveal your lack of credibility by missing that crucial point and instead pussyfoot about debating whether he is better in RF or LF? There's a whole league of teams out there who are gearing up and strategizing for the upcoming season, and rest assured that their plans, to a team, include not an iota of concern about your Minnesota Twins.
    White Sox fans are flooding our board...how about we wait until the season starts ok?

    As for the outfield move I think its a good idea. I like having Revere as a late inning replacement.
    I bent my wookie...

  3. #23

    Cool You shouldn't be stunned

    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Wow. I gotta say, this is a death knell for Revere's future as a starting outfielder, at least this year. I've been checked out of spring training games for the last week or so. Has he been struggling? In need of an attitude adjustment? I'll also say that Willingham, IMHO, has not looked bad in right field on those few appearances I've seen of him out there.

    I'm a little stunned about this, to be honest with you. It's a plot twist to be sure.

    But it does make all the puzzle pieces fit together. It protects Morneau. Doumit doesn't have to play first base, which he's said he isn't comfortable with. It rewards Parmelee's torrid spring, and a platoon of Parmelee and Plouffe (or Doumit and plouffe) make nice platoons.
    I just returned from watching five spring training games. Revere is lacking basic outfield skills (arm strength, cutting in front of the centerfielder when runner was tagging, missing ground balls) which had everyone talking. It looked like he was trying too hard and it became obvious he doesn't have major league skills. I really enjoyed watching Benson play. The sound of the ball jumping off his bat makes you feel that he is going to be a super star. Leaving Florida he left the best impression of all at the major league field.
    It was fun watching TK working with Sano and the A players. That was the best part of the trip.

  4. #24
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,300
    Like
    1,363
    Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That crash we just heard is Ben Revere's trade value jumping out the window. If the team only views him as a fourth outfielder (5th? 6th?) why weren't they shopping him all preseason and trying to sell another club on his youth, years of team control, minor league track record and unmatched range?

    They can't believably claim they want him around to be a defensive replacement or pinch runner, they can call on Mastroianni to do that at any point. What a waisted opportunity to score a decent pitching prospect from another team. Telling the rest of the league how little you value the guy takes away any leverage. Same old MO, see Slowey, Young, Hardy and Lohse.
    What trade value do you think other teams place on outfielders who can't hit?

    Take of the rose colored glasses when looking at Ben Revere. He's nothing special. "Runs fast" is not a qualification to be an outfielder on a winning MLB baseball team. Even his defensive value (which isn't nearly as important for an outfielder as for infielders) is vastly overrated by many.

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What trade value do you think other teams place on outfielders who can't hit?

    Take of the rose colored glasses when looking at Ben Revere. He's nothing special. "Runs fast" is not a qualification to be an outfielder on a winning MLB baseball team. Even his defensive value (which isn't nearly as important for an outfielder as for infielders) is vastly overrated by many.
    He can't? Because of a streaky rookie year? He could certainly hit at every other level. No one's claiming he would net any teams top young player, but he was on the organization's top ten prospect list for years. He should have been able to fetch a player of similar stature. No longer, after Gardy so flippantly disregarded him to the other 29 teams. Even getting another clubs number ten prospect would have been more useful then keeping him around as w bench player.

  6. #26
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,300
    Like
    1,363
    Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    He can't? Because of a streaky rookie year? He could certainly hit at every other level. No one's claiming he would net any teams top young player, but he was on the organization's top ten prospect list for years. He should have been able to fetch a player of similar stature. No longer, after Gardy so flippantly disregarded him to the other 29 teams. Even getting another clubs number ten prospect would have been more useful then keeping him around as w bench player.
    Wait...other GMs, with dozens of scouts and reams of data at their disposal, changed their opinions of Ben Revere in the last couple days based on What Gardy said? They hadn't noticed his limited upside on their own?

    Quick, let's get Gardy to say Nick Blackburn is going to win the next three Cy Youngs and dump him on some rube GM for the best five prospects in their system before they figure out who Blackburn is!

  7. #27
    The Twins have Span here and Benson coming up. That determines Revere's value to the Twins. The trick is to find a team that doesn't have a Span or a Benson. A team without other options will overlook some of Revere's flaws.
    "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Wait...other GMs, with dozens of scouts and reams of data at their disposal, changed their opinions of Ben Revere in the last couple days based on What Gardy said? They hadn't noticed his limited upside on their own?

    Quick, let's get Gardy to say Nick Blackburn is going to win the next three Cy Youngs and dump him on some rube GM for the best five prospects in their system before they figure out who Blackburn is!
    No one would have changed their minds about what ever skill they determined Revere has. What I clearly said was, now that they know the Twins see little value in him, the Twins have no leverage if they had intended on moving him. No team will need to offer his equivalent value ** no matter what value anyone actually places on him** when they can easily point out to the Twins, "Hey, you don't want him, why should we give you anything for him?"

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,777
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    The Twins are starting to shock me with some of these smart decisions. That said, a few things:

    1. That Josh Willingham can't make the move to the other corner is a bit pathetic, isn't it? Maybe when sees how significantly easier RF is at TF, he may change his mind. He's going to be sub-par at either position.

    2. There is a legitimate question as to whether or not Revere should start at Rochester to play every day to improve in areas he needs to improve (getting on base and better routes in the OF).

    3. I worry about Parmelee beyond 57 at bats in the majors right now.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,777
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    No one would have changed their minds about what ever skill they determined Revere has. What I clearly said was, now that they know the Twins see little value in him, the Twins have no leverage if they had intended on moving him. No team will need to offer his equivalent value ** no matter what value anyone actually places on him** when they can easily point out to the Twins, "Hey, you don't want him, why should we give you anything for him?"
    Yeah, it was clear to me that he was going to be the one traded eventually, so I hope he demonstrates some level of competence.

  11. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    The Twins are starting to shock me with some of these smart decisions. That said, a few things:

    1. That Josh Willingham can't make the move to the other corner is a bit pathetic, isn't it? Maybe when sees how significantly easier RF is at TF, he may change his mind. He's going to be sub-par at either position.

    2. There is a legitimate question as to whether or not Revere should start at Rochester to play every day to improve in areas he needs to improve (getting on base and better routes in the OF).

    3. I worry about Parmelee beyond 57 at bats in the majors right now.
    I hope he can figure it out. Once the team is ready for Benson, Willingham would be a logical everyday DH choice. Unfortunately that position is likely needed for the more fragile players, Mauer, Morneau and Doumit. Three years with poor defense is a long time when you consider there are younger players looking for playing time in the outfield too.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,777
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I hope he can figure it out. Once the team is ready for Benson, Willingham would be a logical everyday DH choice. Unfortunately that position is likely needed for the more fragile players, Mauer, Morneau and Doumit. Three years with poor defense is a long time when you consider there are younger players looking for playing time in the outfield too.
    It's one thing to be sub-par at one OF position, but to force a situation where 2/3 of the OF is below average is problematic. I am not sure about Parmelee's RF defense, but hopefully Plouffe gets it together. I marvel at the fact that Twins never moved Delmon to RF where he belonged and now Willingham is unable to move to where he belongs. Given his inability to make this simple transition, there is no better choice than the one the Twins are making--they cannot have Revere play RF (Willingham's arm belongs there).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.