@sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Roster Starting to Come Together

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting!!
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-25-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Will Revere make the team?
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it possible that Plouffe will start on dl?

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What surprises me is it seems the right decisions are being made this spring regarding positions.
    I do think there is still some debate about how the middle infield will be played throughout the season.

how could they not have revere on the roster?! i sure hope he makes it. also i dont understand the need for 3 catchers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure Waldrop gets that last bullpen spot. Manship and Burnett have pitched themselves OUT of the discussion. Fein has been impressive but they have to let him pitch a against better hitters.

I like what I read about Parmelee. I'm sure Revere IS a lock. I'm okay with that. Its interesting Dozier isn't even mentioned so I guess that means his fate is sealed. I wonder if Butera has played his last ML game.

I think for OF defense and CF back up to Spam who is vulnerable to post concussion syndrome--Revere has to be on Twins roster. I do not see a roster scenario without Revere. If Parmalee makes roster he has to play everyday so either Morneau is DH or Parmalee is RF which I doubt. Bottom line if Parmalee makes roster Doumit becomes only catcher...not sure Gardy will be on board with that.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it was determined Revere was best fit for 4th OF, where his speed can be used late in games as a PR and defensive replacement, the need for Willingham to change positions went away. Good move to send him back where he's more comfortable and let Plouffe and Parmelee battle for RF. If Morneau has to DH, putting Parmelee at 1B, maybe Doumit becomes the regular RF. As long as Doumit isn't the regular DH, the need for the 3rd catcher isn't nearly as critical because you don't lose your DH if your starting catcher gets nicked up.

Honestly looks like things are coming together. It's kind of nice that there aren't a lot of "this guy deserves to be on the team but the Twins will keep that guy instead because of what they're paying him or he's out of options," things going on the way there seem to be most springs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    I think for OF defense and CF back up to Spam who is vulnerable to post concussion syndrome--Revere has to be on Twins roster. I do not see a roster scenario without Revere. If Parmalee makes roster he has to play everyday so either Morneau is DH or Parmalee is RF which I doubt. Bottom line if Parmalee makes roster Doumit becomes only catcher...not sure Gardy will be on board with that.
    Revere will be the 4th outfielder filling in wherever needed. He'll likely be used often off the bench late in the game for base-running situations. (and not necessarily in place of another OF)
    Parmelee, if he makes the team, will flip between 1B and RF.
    Morneau will be DH only for most games during his transition back into the game.
    Mauer will trade off with Parmelee when he's in RF and Doumit will catch.
    It appears RF will be platooned by a host of players including Doumit.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Offensively I like the thought of Parmelee over Revere, but an outfield of Willingham, Span, and Parmelee would be TERRIBLE defensively. I thought it was evident a week ago that Revere had played himself out of favor with the people in charge. They said going in they wanted him to work on his bunting this spring and he hasn't tried all that much.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd1123 View Post
    but an outfield of Willingham, Span, and Parmelee would be TERRIBLE defensively.
    I don't disagree, but an all caps terrible might not be true.
    Can't imagine Willingham in LF could be worse than Delmon Young.
    I haven't been able to see Parmelee throw the ball from RF yet, but Cuddy's range & zone were never great, it was all in his arm.
    Having Revere to come into the OF with Span late in games could work. Early Offense/Late Defense.
    Last edited by Neinstein; 03-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

No word really on Luke Hughes. It seems to be accepted that he makes the squad as the utility man... but why not starting at second, with Alexi the utility man? Casilla seems to be the more-prototypical utility man: plays more positions; fast for pinch-running; and in the past he has excelled when NOT handed a starting position.

And if Parmelee is the starting outfielder, and Revere is your number 4, where does that leave Plouffe?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    And if Parmelee is the starting outfielder, and Revere is your number 4, where does that leave Plouffe?
    Probably platooning with Parmelee, pinch hitting, playing RF with Parmelee playing a bit at 1B.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woolhouse View Post
    I think Parmelee is the starting 1B while Morneau is still a question mark defensively. Yes, they may decide to simply give Morneau the DH in which case Parmelee is here to stay. If Morneau transitions back into the game defensively, I see Parmelee starting at 1B in Rochester.
    The middle infield continues to be the thorn. I don't think anyone really knows what to do in there just yet. It's all a toss up until Dozier is here.

It takes me twice as long to write posts.
    My daughters frequent and stealthy keyboard attacks are sometimes cause for starting over.
    She unplugged the computer once... fun.
    Last edited by Neinstein; 03-25-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: My daughter

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Tweet from Jim Souhan:

We had Twins asst gm Rob Antony on Sundaysportstalk. He said he forgot to mention Jeff Gray as prime bullpen candidate. Gray in contention.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm gonna guess opening day lineup has Morneau DH, Parmalee at 1b, Doumit in RF, with Revere, Hughes, Butera and Plouffe on the bench.

I'm gonna guess the initial plan would be:

1b: 60% starts to Parmalee, 20% to Morneau, 10% to Doumit, 10% to Mauer
    RF: 20% to Parmalee, 40% to Doumit, 20% to Plouffe, 10% to Span (with Revere in Center), 10% to Mauer
    C: 80% to Mauer, 10% to Doumit, 10% to Butera
    DH: 30% Doumit, 60% Morneau, 5% Plouffe, 5% Parmalee

Just my opinion.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    One thing not mentioned as a possibility - could the Twins trade Revere. I assume that someone in the major leagues could use an outstanding centerfielder with his speed. For once we could sell high (and I would only trade him for a good ROI). Benson would become your reserve centerfielder, possibly a better reserve outfielder option than Revere.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing that surprises me the most about this is that Parmelee is skipping AAA completely. I think most people's reaction to this announcement is a reflection of their confidence in Parmelee (or lack thereof in Revere.) I'm fairily confident in Parmelee, but if he falls flat on his face then this all goes to hell in a hurry. Then we have Revere playing the one spot in the OF where he is a defensive liability instead of a defensive asset.

I'll tell you another thing that makes me a little nervous, thought I'm at a loss as to why - there are going to be so many moving pieces on a given day. For instance, Mauer is still going to be at his best if he isnt' catching more than 2/3 of the time, so on those days I guess we have Mauer at 1B (of DH), Doumit at C, Morneau playing where Mauer isn't and Parmelee in RF. Flexibility is good, but so is stability. It can't help the defense to have that many moving pieces.

I think this announcemnt is also relatively bad news for Plouffe. Theoretically, he could platoon with Doumit or Parmelee at 1b or RF, but his chances of doing that were a lot better when he was replacing Revere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    One thing not mentioned as a possibility - could the Twins trade Revere. I assume that someone in the major leagues could use an outstanding centerfielder with his speed. For once we could sell high (and I would only trade him for a good ROI). Benson would become your reserve centerfielder, possibly a better reserve outfielder option than Revere.
    As July comes closer, we'll hear plenty of trade rumors directed mostly toward a Span deal.
    Ultimately, his health and consistency will determine whether his value is high. Personally, I'd like to keep Span around through his contract.
    Revere will have to take every opportunity (particularly in LF) to show that he can start and play in ML.
    I believe he may see this as a continued audition for the Twins, but for me.. it's an open invitation for the rest of the league to see what he's got out there.
    Hopefully he can continue to strengthen that arm and his trade value will follow, but now is not quite the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast