Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 161

Thread: Over moderation

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

    Over moderation

    I know this is going to be a touchy subject, but Bonnes and some of the others are going a little over the top with moderation these days, I know Fro was banned today and his posts were very tame. I think bans should only be handed out if a guy is actively breaking the rules, not just using some general snark in response to a ridiculous comment.

    Again its your site so you guys can do what you want obviously, but I don't think its good for the community to be running off some of the better and longer posters around.

  2. #2
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think the petty name calling and attacking posters instead of ideas is annoying. I am coming less and less, so I do not think I would agree.
    Lighten up Francis....

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Nobody is attacking posters....

  4. #4
    Twins way or the highway...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    102
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I know this is going to be a touchy subject, but Bonnes and some of the others are going a little over the top with moderation these days, I know Fro was banned today and his posts were very tame. I think bans should only be handed out if a guy is actively breaking the rules, not just using some general snark in response to a ridiculous comment.

    Again its your site so you guys can do what you want obviously, but I don't think its good for the community to be running off some of the better and longer posters around.
    Don't tell me Fro got banned for being an overly sarcastic smarty-pants in my OPENING DAY LINEUP thread that turned into an argument about SPEED versus OBP. Because even though I was pretty frustrated with his style of interjection, I certainly didn't feel anything he said even remotely approached deserving of being banned. Unless he posted something I never saw because it was moderated out, I felt I was just equally as smarty-pantsed. I never even got so much as a "heads up, here's a warning".

  6. #6
    Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Posts
    102
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If the noose is pulled too tight on this site - everyone will be hanged. In most scenarios of life, you have heroes, anti-heroes. and the others.

    Most of the folks on this site are the others, and that is not a bad thing. The truth is this - maybe uber-bullying posters should be banded, but this site needs a little bit of risque behavior.

    Lighten up the reigns - less on policing.

    P.S. - I have seen a few posters that I appreciate disappear from this site because of the crack down - a period of lightening up would not hurt.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesser Dali View Post
    If the noose is pulled too tight on this site - everyone will be hanged. In most scenarios of life, you have heroes, anti-heroes. and the others.

    Most of the folks on this site are the others, and that is not a bad thing. The truth is this - maybe uber-bullying posters should be banded, but this site needs a little bit of risque behavior.

    Lighten up the reigns - less on policing.

    P.S. - I have seen a few posters that I appreciate disappear from this site because of the crack down - a period of lightening up would not hurt.
    Agreed, its the internet, people need to be allowed to blow off some steam and nobody is going over the top these days. I share the same sentiment, a lot of good posters aren't coming around much any more and its a real shame.

    Personally I think Brock should be left in charge of all bannings/suspensions etc, the guy has been running forums successfully for years now and it prevents a possibly over sensitive mod (whoever it may be) from doling out bannings left and right. Also I know this sounds pretty hypocritical coming from me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,220
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    When you're a guest in somebody's house, you follow their rules. If you can't respect your host(s) enough to do that, you may be shown the door.

    It's not too fricking complicated.

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Agreed, its the internet, people need to be allowed to blow off some steam and nobody is going over the top these days. I share the same sentiment, a lot of good posters aren't coming around much any more and its a real shame.

    Personally I think Brock should be left in charge of all bannings/suspensions etc, the guy has been running forums successfully for years now and it prevents a possibly over sensitive mod (whoever it may be) from doling out bannings left and right. Also I know this sounds pretty hypocritical coming from me.
    We are discussing this internally, to be sure.

    But I'm not the best moderator in the world, either. I tend to be too lax on posters. Having admined several forums of varying sizes over a ten year period and noticed my stance on posting versus other mods, I'm the first to admit that. There needs to be someone sterner than me to chase after the people who continually bend the rules.

    We're talking it over.

  10. #10
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,804
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,409
    Liked 1,915 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

    We're talking it over.
    I think Dave has a point. The fine line is so arbitrary and in vastly different places for each of you. While I think that in the heat of discussion some can step over the line, that has to be distinguished from someone's general demeanor. It is difficult on here to determine tone and intent. And sometimes I think you just have to call out the fool. I don't think someone should be banned for calling a spade a spade but that also shouldn't be an every day occurrence.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Frankly, I don't think this community (posters and owners) really knows what it wants to be. There are some pretty serious (non humor) posters, and some posters that post a lot more humor. There are some pretty emotional posters also. It is also pretty clear there are major generational differences in the community.

    So while I don't always love some of the tone, I can pretty much live with it, mostly. It is pretty easy to just stop going to threads that have degenerated into two people posting full page quotes yelling at each other. It is pretty easy to just not comment back to some posts. But I will say, there have been many threads that just become emotional train wrecks, and when some of us do just want to have a conversation, it can get frustrating.

    While Fro is not my favorite poster, I've not seen a reason to ban him.....that said, there are some rules around here that he/she appears to have just ignored. I'd assume, assume, that Fro was warned before banning, and kept doing it. If you were a guest in someones' home, and they asked you to not smoke, and you smoked, it would not be unreasonable to ask them to leave.....not sur why rudeness should be accepted here, just because it is the internet.
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #12
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I realize VD's post comes from a good place/intent (read in: I'm not overlooking your point), but I think the rules are pretty simply to follow. Further, I read quite a bit of what's posted on the forums (I don't post a whole lot) and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the rules were created to keep the forums away from the garbage you read on most comment boards. I don't think anyone wants that hot mess. Manners matter folks, and we can be civil to one another...even if we disagree. It's far better to educate than to derogate. After reading the content from these gentlemen for years, I've come to trust their judgment on passing out blocks, quite frankly, they probably passed on some bad judgment when the poster typically provides reasoned commentary. In the end, I've come to learn much more about baseball reading the forums, and that's why I come back (also the good kind of snark is hil-ar-i-ous...seriously folks there are some gems in the forums).

    Finally, I read the likely offending comment yesterday, and while the response was probably pretty accurate, it was a clear violation of the rules. A simple response could have been. "I can't disagree with you more." I wish I would have posted the same.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    591
    Like
    11
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    When you're a guest in somebody's house, you follow their rules. If you can't respect your host(s) enough to do that, you may be shown the door.

    It's not too fricking complicated.
    The OP already pointed out this fact.
    Last edited by righty8383; 03-19-2013 at 08:35 AM.

  14. #14
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,680
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    321
    Let's be clear: Fro's ban was temporary. He has apparently decided he doesn't want to come back and that's his prerogative, but he's certainly welcome to return in 3 days if he likes. We generally enjoy his posts -- I know I do. He's funny, smart and witty.

    But a message needs to be sent in instances like this that insults and attacks toward members on the board will NOT be tolerated. I don't care how stupid you think they are. The way to increase the level of intelligence on the board is to write intelligent things, not rattle off snarky ad-hominem attacks that offend people and create a hostile environment.

    This forum is designed to be a place for the exchange of ideas, and spirited but respectful debate. It does not exist for people to "blow off steam"; if you want to do that buy a punching bag. Don't use members of our community as a substitute.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    102
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Let's be clear: Fro's ban was temporary. He has apparently decided he doesn't want to come back and that's his prerogative, but he's certainly welcome to return in 3 days if he likes. We generally enjoy his posts -- I know I do. He's funny, smart and witty.

    But a message needs to be sent in instances like this that insults and attacks toward members on the board will NOT be tolerated. I don't care how stupid you think they are. The way to increase the level of intelligence on the board is to write intelligent things, not rattle off snarky ad-hominem attacks that offend people and create a hostile environment.

    This forum is designed to be a place for the exchange of ideas, and spirited but respectful debate. It does not exist for people to "blow off steam"; if you want to do that buy a punching bag. Don't use members of our community as a substitute.
    Maybe I'm assuming too much, and Fro's ban had nothing to do with the argument he and I got into. But if it was because of our argument, I am puzzled. I went after him pretty hard too but didn't get so much as a warning. I didn't feel either of us deserved so much as a warning either, as I was happy to trade comments with him, and was confident that it was all in good fun (with a bit of tension, but far from too much). Then again, im new here and despite reading the comment standards thread, I'm still not sure how everything works around here.

    My posts are all still there to read. Maybe he got way nastier and I never saw it because it was taken down quickly, but my God I could have probably handled it and I certainly don't want to see people that the forum values leaving because of a silly argument between one overly sarcastic dude (Fro) and one overly stubborn and argumentative dude (Me). Plus, now I am incredibly curious about what he might have said, and (deservedly or not) feel bad about the whole thing.

  16. #16
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    AFAIK, it had nothing to do with your conversation, BlueSky. Don't worry about that.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post

    This forum is designed to be a place for the exchange of ideas, and spirited but respectful debate. It does not exist for people to "blow off steam"; if you want to do that buy a punching bag. Don't use members of our community as a substitute.
    Um ok, well that isn't at all what I meant.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,590
    Like
    18
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'm in the same boat Dave. I know it is difficult for me coming from posting on a forum with very few rules to being warned if i call something stupid. It is what it is, I hope Fro comes back.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'm in the same boat Dave. I know it is difficult for me coming from posting on a forum with very few rules to being warned if i call something stupid. It is what it is, I hope Fro comes back.
    Yeah, I'm not advocating flame wars or anything, but like oldladytwins fan said, sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade and an idiot and idiot, hell I do it in my every day life, many times with friends of mine, which I consider some of you BYTO posters as now.

    I sorta wonder how the board would generally react with all these rules in place if dankind or itstimetotakeit showed back up. I guess we would have to respectfully disagree with all of their drivel? (Not saying that the current poster group resembles them, but there are a couple who have gotten sorta close and honestly has kept a lot of people from coming back as often) I think some people end up just taking everything a bit to seriously and get hurt feelings to easily, hell me and Lev have been going back and forth for a better half of a decade now with several names and insults, it doesn't seem to bother us one bit.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 03-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.

  20. #20
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,437
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    I'm all for this thread. Thank you VD for starting it.

    I'll start with this: at the end of the day, we can't run/support/hustle for a site whose forums we can't stomach. That's where things were a month ago for a few of us. I was far more likely to advocate turning them off completely than continuing down that path. And I would have had support among the founders. But before we did that, we decided to try and get it back to a more civil level of discourse, even though that was a lot of work and conflict and self-examination. I think we're pretty close to that.

    We can't have self-appointed sheriffs of this site shooting snark around to keep people in place. I think that's how it worked on BYTO to some extent. Whether it did or not, we feel it cannot work that way here and still have a growing and inclusive board.

    It was inevitable that shift would affect some loyal members (and good people) more than others. But I think it requires an adjustment for some of those members rather than a betrayal of a personal philosophy.

    That leaves open some issues, such as how to deal with posters who lower the level of discourse by posting dumb things. I don't know that I have a recipe for how that is going to work, but my sense is: gently at first, and then more aggressively. At some point, stupidity turns into trolling, and we've tackled that a little with a couple of members. But I'm sensitive to the concern. I share it too. We'll continue to work on it. I think we'll get there as a community.

    We've had lots of internal debates about this and I welcome this thread to hear the community's feedback. One thing we've debated is changing rule #1 on our comment policy. I'll bold the change. It would go something like this:

    Personal attacks or insults towards other commenters, the post author, journalists, teams, players, members of baseball organizations or agents. (You can be critical, but not personal.)

    Furthermore, we expect each member to treat other members with respect. This doesn’t mean just not making personal attacks. It means giving them the benefit of the doubt. It means not being deliberately combative. It means turning the other cheek sometimes, even when you’re not being treated with respect. We expect this because we believe it encourages civil analysis and debate.
    I understand the desire to loosen the reins. I'm sure, at some point, they will - bolts always loosen. But to be honest, I'm pretty determined to make sure they stay tight right now. That nauseous feeling that I had by coming to my own forums a month ago is still a little fresh.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.