Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Is anyone still having the commenting problem on the front page?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is anyone still having the commenting problem on the front page?

I'm wondering if anyone is still having problems seeing the comments in the front page articles. Earlier, we were having a problem where each article was only showing a fraction of their comments (for example, it would say there are 43 comments in an article but some users would only see 3).

Please let me know if this is still an issue. Thanks.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have not seen that problem. But I have a new problem. When I try to post a quick rely, it tells me I don't have enough characters. No matter how many characters I add, it says I need "at least 3 more". I have not been able to comment because of this.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I have not seen that problem. But I have a new problem. When I try to post a quick rely, it tells me I don't have enough characters. No matter how many characters I add, it says I need "at least 3 more". I have not been able to comment because of this.
    So how were you able to do this comment? What did you do differently?
    Thanks,
    John

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    So how were you able to do this comment? What did you do differently?
    Thanks,
    John
    My guess is he used the full reply system.

Cmathewson, what browser, operating system, and version are you using?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 312 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't see the comment count discrepancy since the changeover (although admittedly I am using the forums more).

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,841 Times in 1,075 Posts
    It seems fixed for me. I only looked at one article from the front page but all seemed fine.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I'm just going to assume that the problem is fixed now. Whew.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I've been going through the front page again, and I've seen no comment discrepancies. Good work!

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Interesting semi-related issue today: the Vance Worley article on the front page says it has 74 comments, but since it was apparently merged with an existing forum post, it only displays 69 comments, dropping the 5 that came prior to the article's post date/time. (I noticed it because the first posts under the article were quoting other posters/posts which weren't there.) Navigating to the forum thread displays all the comments properly.

I love that the article and thread comments got merged -- I wonder if it would work to "back-date" the article somehow to capture those earlier comments for its display?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Interesting semi-related issue today: the Vance Worley article on the front page says it has 74 comments, but since it was apparently merged with an existing forum post, it only displays 69 comments, dropping the 5 that came prior to the article's post date/time. (I noticed it because the first posts under the article were quoting other posters/posts which weren't there.) Navigating to the forum thread displays all the comments properly.

I love that the article and thread comments got merged -- I wonder if it would work to "back-date" the article somehow to capture those earlier comments for its display?
    That's a system thing. It only "acknowledges" the posts that were creating in the thread it generated for that specific article. Anything before the merge will be ignored by the system... Kind of a dumb flaw but one that would be extremely irritating to fix and would require re-coding core components (a good idea to avoid whenever possible).