@sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Two-Weeks-To-Opening-Day Roster Projections

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frankly Butera hasn't done much, but JR Towles and Rene Rivera have not done anything to warrant being added to the 40 man roster to take the spot.
    Rivera:
    a. has the 5th best OPS from the remaining players in the Camp (.871); Towles' is .705 and Butera's .636
    b. has thrown several runners out at second, while last time Butera tried to throw a runner out, end up hitting Pavano's back
    c. when he catches Liriano, Liriano pitches better.

In my mind, if they take 3 catchers North, Rivera earned the job.

Also, Hollimon has the best Spring from everyone in Camp and he (1.246 OPS vs Burroughs' .713) should be rewarded for it. Burroughs is a nice story and he turned his life around but the guy with the hottest bat (and better defense - and he can play SS,3B,2B,OF) should get the job.

I think Maloney now is pretty much a given unless he really screws up badly. Not sure for the others. Still plenty of time left and anyone of Manship, Waldrop, Burton and Fien can get the final 2 spots. And, again, I hope they take the hottest 2 arms up, regardless of whether they were drafted by the Twins or their daddy played for the Twins... Unless there is a miracle, I think that Burnett, Wise and Gray (and his 40-man spot) are gone to Rochester.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I also vote for Hollimon. He's just hitting so hot, he deserves a shot. And he can apparently play 2B, SS, and 3B.

I still think there's a chance – if Doumit doesn't hit well this spring that the twins would consider him their only backup to Mauer at CA, and would carry another bat north – probably Burroughs.

As for RP: I'm comfortable with Burton, Maloney, Manship, or Waldrop in the final three. I think Waldrop might be left in Rochester, but right now, that's a guess.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    In my mind, if they take 3 catchers North, Rivera earned the job.
    Sure, but we all know 15-20 plate appearances in spring training is not the only piece of the equation. 40 man roster spots, other position needs.

Also, Hollimon has the best Spring from everyone in Camp and he (1.246 OPS vs Burroughs' .713) should be rewarded for it.
    All depends on how much value you give to 20-25 plate appearances. Hollimon has given himself a chance and I'm not a big Burroughs backer, so I'd be fine with Hollimon. He's had a good two weeks. I hope when I project next week, Hollimon's still hitting and he's played some at SS and all the infield positions. But track record plays into this too. Don't get me wrong. I hope Hollimon keeps it up. I also know back-to-back 0-4s and his OPS drops to .892. Again, I personally prefer Hollimon just for power potential from the 25th man, but my projection is based on what I think will happen as opposed to what I would do.

thrylos---all great points and reasons those players should make the opening day roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Your love for Jeff Manship is really EMBARRASSING!!! Manship has options left and can be sent down. Just like Alex Burnett, Manship has been given every opportunity to be a full time reliever over the last two years and has fallen flat on his face. It's time for a change in the bullpen and Ryan knows this. Jared Burton makes the roster "Guaranteed."Before you comment on how I'm always wrong, I was right about Nishioka and Doyle. Two more guys you thought earlier in camp were the answer to this mess.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-23-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Remember that Benson-to-Casilla-to-Mauer relay throw against the Yankees a couple weeks ago? Benson is The Man in CF. Willingham better start hitting, or he will end up making the club as the backup OF.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Manship has been given every opportunity to be a full time reliever over the last two years and has fallen flat on his face.
    Please explain, and please use Games Pitched and Innings Pitched in reliever situations ONLY to make your case.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Sure, but we all know 15-20 plate appearances in spring training is not the only piece of the equation. 40 man roster spots, other position needs.
    Yes. But if they take 3 Catchers, since neither Butera or Rivera can play elsewhere, there is no advantage of Butera in any way. More than the ST appearances, Rivera is a better hitter than Butera (looking at their MiLB career numbers) and at least equal (I think he is better) defensively. Plus Liriano pitches better with Rivera catching him. Butera has a 40-man roster spot (unfortunately) which he can let go any day. Catchers like Butera are a dime a dozen
    -----

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Like last week, I really, really hope they don't take 3 Cs north, but send Hollimon and Burroughs along with Plouffe and Hughs. Hollimon has some power and speed, necessary for pinch running in the final bench spot. Though, if it is necessary -- and some day some one please provide a cogent argument -- to bring 3 catchers, then at this point I agree with Thrylos and bring Rivera up. We know what we get with butera, what's the harm in trying a different guy with no potential, again... if we must... <<<head shaking>>>...

I haven't seen much about Doumit and his defense. Is he reasonable defensively? Can we do ok with him back there 3 days a week? I think Mauer will play 1 game a week at 1B, 1 game a week at DH, and 1 game off, so we need someone to play catcher those 3 days. That's 40% of the season! Plus 5 days a week we will have a catcher playing DH. Gardy hates worrying about losing the DH in a game even though it rarely happens. The other factor here is how much will Doumit play DH when he isn't catching? If he doesn't flourish there or someone else emerges in the DH role, then 2 catchers will certainly be fine.

What I've read about Hollimon is that his injured arm, more than 2 years ago, was surgically repaired. While his arm wasn't good last year, he appears to have gained some strength in it – helping not only his throwing, but his hitting.

It's time to take advantage of it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Manship has been given every opportunity to be a full time reliever over the last two years and has fallen flat on his face.
    And, you can't use today's outing as any case for "over the last two years." Of course, he did throw a DP ball that Hollimon had an error on which may have meant a quick inning.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

See today's 6th inning for more on the great Jeff Manship. I give you credit your were right about Jared Burton.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    And, you can't use today's outing as any case for "over the last two years." Of course, he did throw a DP ball that Hollimon had an error on which may have meant a quick inning.
    That ball was smoked down the line... Hollimon did not even touch it. Even the Yankee announcers said that it should had been a base hit.
    -----

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    See today's 6th inning for more on the great Jeff Manship.
    Like I said, Jack, you've got to give me more than just one outing in a spring in which he's been otherwise dominant... You've got to give me more than 3.2 innings in an-injury-filled 2011.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Manship has had a solid spring until this point. He should make the team over Burnett for sure.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    Manship has had a solid spring until this point. He should make the team over Burnett for sure.
    If healthy, yes... but I think the question is Manship or Burton... Or at least it should be. Up until today's outing, it was a pretty even situation.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    If healthy, yes... but I think the question is Manship or Burton... Or at least it should be. Up until today's outing, it was a pretty even situation.
    I would not discount Fien either at this point. I think that Waldrop took a big step today gaining a spot, but still about a week left.
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    I found it interesting that at the end of the game Towles was put in at 3rd base. Could this possibly be an effort to add more flexibility to the bench? He did successfully make a play in the 9th. I think somebody somewhere wants this guy to make the team. With Doyle gone and Zumaya either on the 60 day or cut, this leaves 2 spots open on the 40-man. Room for Burroughs & Towles perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast