Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Welcome to the New Twins Daily!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Admittedly, I was sick all weekend, so my experience was likely influenced by that.....I promise to look again and comment.

Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts
    I didn't look at it with an ipad or phone but when I look at it in the Metro browser, it lays out nicely (although the IE10 problem is still there). Overall, it does look cleaner than the old site.

Mike, I think you need to play with the zoom a little until you get used to something that feels good to you. I'm used to having my zoom at about 150% (old eyes) but the new site looks better at about 100% - 125%. The font doesn't seem different to me but it does seem a bit bigger -- playing with zoom alleviated that feeling of "too big".

But when Mike says that the forums section looks "scrunched up", I think that has to do with the relationship of the avatars and text. The avatars are nice for immediately recognizing who posted the thread (if the person used an avatar) but they do add to a more cluttered feeling -- even in FF or Chrome. Since they are only on the left side of the title, it gives a bit of a feeling of conflict or clutter or something being wrong.

And it emphasizes the person who made the original post whereas I think most people are more likely to check for the person who made the last post.

While I think people will get used to it, I'm just not sure it adds much to have the avatar for the original poster and I can see Mikes point about clutter in the forum section.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,481 Times in 776 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had some discussions about the avatar. Personally, I base a lot of whether I click into a thread on its creator. I'll almost always read a Nick Nelson, Seth Stohs, or John Bonnes thread but some other posters, I... stay away. I may be in the minority there, though.

As for bigger text, it's a design trend. Earlier, it seemed like sites were trying to pack more and more onto each page, sacrificing readability in the meantime. Now, the trend is to reverse that with bigger fonts that are easier to read. That's the reason for the larger fonts you see throughout the site now. That problem is only compounded when you realize that now, people are actually browsing the web on smaller devices than ever before. Just two years ago, the 10" iPad was the smallest (non-phone) device used by people to browse the internet. Now, we're seeing a rash of 7-8" tablets, which render pages at such a small size that text on many sites is unreadable. I didn't want that to be the case with TD.

Brock,

I suppose there's just not room to have the text to the side of the avatar instead of over it?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Brock,

I suppose there's just not room to have the text to the side of the avatar instead of over it?
    I could make that work, I just liked the overflow of the design. I'm going to spend more time looking into it once I get some of this other stuff sorted out.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    IE10 follows HTML standards as good as any browser. It's actually pretty excellent.

That said, the site has looks great of FF. I haven't been able to use IE much yet.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    IE10 follows HTML standards as good as any browser.
    No, it really doesn't. It still scores low on the HTML5 test compared to Chrome and every other major browser on the market.

But the key difference is that Chrome/Firefox/Safari/etc. update every few weeks. IE updates every blue moon. If IE10 is behind in standards compliance now, where they'll be by the time IE11 rolls out is very, very bad.

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I see what was happening on the front page sidebar... The widget avatars weren't z-indexing properly. I fixed it so you should no longer see part of the title clipped under the avatar, as it should sit above the avatar now.

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yeah, that's because IE8 doesn't support transparency. If you have the ability to stop using that browser in favor of something that isn't mired in 2005 technology, I'd suggest doing so.
    Welcome to working for your federal government in 2013.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Welcome to working for your federal government in 2013.
    Sorry about that.

But it's not only the Federal Government. Just last year, I was working with McDonnell Douglas and they mandated IE7 for use with all their in-house applications.

My head nearly exploded.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Dudes, I work for a fortune 25 company, IE6 was the standard last year......I believe we skipped to 8 last year......yup, just checked....IE8 on my work computer....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Dudes, I work for a fortune 25 company, IE6 was the standard last year......I believe we skipped to 8 last year......yup, just checked....IE8 on my work computer....
    Which is part of the reason why MS has earned such ill-will with developers over the past ten years. First, they tried to break standards entirely by creating IE6, the dungheap to best all dungheaps of internet browsers.

Then they held on to IE6 for damned near five years. Couple that with their policy of not giving older operating systems new browser updates (despite it being relatively easy to do), only updating their browser every 18 months, and they have earned every venomous statement cast in IE's direction over the past ten years.

And it's just not complaining. IE has significantly held back the advancement of the Internet by being such a flaming pile of junk that developers are hamstrung with nearly every project they start. It's a mess and it's my opinion that no one should use an MS browser, ever... At least until Microsoft proves that they're going to update regularly and play nice with standards for 2-3 dot-oh versions of the browser.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Lots of good changes, the site looks cleaner and sharper as well as less intrusive feeling ads. That said, hate how scrunched the forum posts are. Feels pointlessly small on a 1080 monitor.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brock,

The Roster & Payroll page is initially only viewable in the far left third of the page. If I click on the header on the page though, it opens up a much more viewer-friendly look. Appears that way on IE, Chrome and Android phone. Thanks. Love the new look.

Also, when it is bigger and looks normal, the columns don't appear the same as they used to (many players names spill onto a 2nd line).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Lots of good changes, the site looks cleaner and sharper as well as less intrusive feeling ads. That said, hate how scrunched the forum posts are. Feels pointlessly small on a 1080 monitor.
    You should see it on my 2560 resolution screen. :P

I would have loved to do a responsive design for the site but vB's architecture makes that incredibly unwieldy to even attempt. It'd be a full-time two month project for one person.

We'll be upgrading the software in about a year. I'm hoping that a responsive design will be feasible at that time (but I'm not holding my breath).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Brock,

The Roster & Payroll page is initially only viewable in the far left third of the page. If I click on the header on the page though, it opens up a much more viewer-friendly look. Appears that way on IE, Chrome and Android phone. Thanks. Love the new look.
    Thanks for reminding me. I have some plans for that page and ran out of time yesterday. I'll get on it now.

The forum title posts are now over the avatar in IE10 but the avatars are still too bright to make reading the title easy. The background avatars are much brighter in IE10 than in chrome or FF.

Also, did you always have the thumbnail clicks down the left side of the top photo on the home page. I thought when I looked this morning it just scrolled among the pics from the articles. I really liked the look of the photo without the thumbnails (of course, maybe I just imagined that).

Thanks - just giving an update.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    The forum title posts are now over the avatar in IE10 but the avatars are still too bright to make reading the title easy. The background avatars are much brighter in IE10 than in chrome or FF.

Also, did you always have the thumbnail clicks down the left side of the top photo on the home page. I thought when I looked this morning it just scrolled among the pics from the articles. I really liked the look of the photo without the thumbnails (of course, maybe I just imagined that).

Thanks - just giving an update.
    Yeah, the thumbnails were always there but in proportion to the slider (that's what that slideshow thing is called), they were much larger. Now, they're the same size as before but the rest of the slider is much bigger. Oddly enough, I think making the rest of the slider large and keeping those small has made them more noticeable.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice upgrades. I appreciate the wider text area and larger font. Haven't checked it yet on the iPad, but it looks great on FF on my PC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only problem I can see with the new site are all of the Summit ads (makes me thirsty).
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast