Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Welcome to the New Twins Daily!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries

Problems with the new site? Let us know.

We had a few issues with the site update and some unexpected "surprises" during the transition.

So, if you see a problem, something doesn't work as expected, etc., post it here and be sure to list what browser you're using. Thanks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is there a reason the posts are now smashed into a significantly narrower area in the middle of the browser window and don't scale when I widen now? It's borderline intolerable to try and read anything with a stat line at this point due to cutoff/wraparound text. Seeing an inch or so of gray border on either side of the exact same size window I've always used is proving irritating.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It still says Beloit Snappers in the sub-header under "on the farm"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to know who the author is before I click the link.
    That seems to have disappeared.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I would like to know who the author is before I click the link.
    That seems to have disappeared.
    That was a casualty of the transition bug and we never intended for it to be removed. It has been put back on the site now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Is there a reason the posts are now smashed into a significantly narrower area in the middle of the browser window and don't scale when I widen now? It's borderline intolerable to try and read anything with a stat line at this point due to cutoff/wraparound text. Seeing an inch or so of gray border on either side of the exact same size window I've always used is proving irritating.
    The site is actually wider than it was previously... About 80 pixels wider. The forum sidebar was a difficult design choice, particularly for me because I put a really strong emphasis on the forums. Basically, we had to come up with a way to better integrate the other site features into the forum area. The only way to do that is with a sidebar but we couldn't make the sidebar collapsable if we hosted ads over there... So, in the end, we pinched the forums a wee bit. It's not really that big of a difference, though... Maybe 180 pixels smaller than the old size.

It was not an easy choice but it's one that had to be made, IMO.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    With IE 10 on the front page, the avatars are not translucent and partially cover up the left side of the title of articles, etc. in the bar on the right side. On this page, the title is over the top of the avatar but it is still difficult to read. I tried playing with both my resolution and my zoom (under view) but neither helped to resolve the problem.

In Chrome they are more faded so the title stands out against the avatar and is quite legible.

Have to go explore the new look a little more but other than that, what I've seen so far looks great. Congrats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    With IE 10 on the front page, the avatars are not translucent and partially cover up the left side of the title of articles, etc. in the bar on the right side. On this page, the title is over the top of the avatar but it is still difficult to read. I tried playing with both my resolution and my zoom (under view) but neither helped to resolve the problem.

In Chrome they are more faded so the title stands out against the avatar and is quite legible.

Have to go explore the new look a little more but other than that, what I've seen so far looks great. Congrats.
    Figures that IE10 would bring new and exciting bug rendering to the Internet Explorer family. It's the one version of IE I don't readily have access to for testing.

I'll look into it, though... When I checked the site last week, it was working as expected in IE9 but after all the hassle during the transition, something could have gone wrong.

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still running IE8 here at work and having a similar issue. The avatar stays within the table, but bleeds out to the right under the article/blog title and author info.

Blog Entries

Article: Welcome to the New Twins Daily!

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The avatar stays within the table, but bleeds out to the right under the article/blog title and author info.
    The avatar actually covers up part of the title and author info on the front page. It's in the forums like this that it stays under the title and author.

Thanks. I'll just use FF or Chrome for now - no big deal except for new users.

Just want to add that I like the color coding on the thumbnails on the forum page. Nice to be able to tell at a glance what threads I've responded to -- and to separate out articles, off-site articles and regular threads. I also like the alt feature that lets me see the first few lines of a regular post -- kind of a mini-preview of the author's mood.

I am a little curious about why the regular article thumbnails go gray when that thread is read and none of the others change. (But it is just curiosity so you don't need to rush to respond).

Oh, and the good thing is that I got my paragraphs back with the upgrade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Still running IE8 here at work and having a similar issue. The avatar stays within the table, but bleeds out to the right under the article/blog title and author info.
    Yeah, that's because IE8 doesn't support transparency. If you have the ability to stop using that browser in favor of something that isn't mired in 2005 technology, I'd suggest doing so.

Just to clarify the issue, though, the avatar covers the left side of the title in IE10 when you are on the home page or reading an article. In the forum pages, the title does go on top of the avatar but the avatar is only partially faded (not really translucent).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The site is actually wider than it was previously... About 80 pixels wider. The forum sidebar was a difficult design choice, particularly for me because I put a really strong emphasis on the forums. Basically, we had to come up with a way to better integrate the other site features into the forum area. The only way to do that is with a sidebar but we couldn't make the sidebar collapsable if we hosted ads over there... So, in the end, we pinched the forums a wee bit. It's not really that big of a difference, though... Maybe 180 pixels smaller than the old size.

It was not an easy choice but it's one that had to be made, IMO.
    I suppose the difference would make more of a stink with me if I could foresee myself checking in here more than once a week before too long. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify the issue, though, the avatar covers the left side of the title in IE10 when you are on the home page or reading an article. In the forum pages, the title does go on top of the avatar but the avatar is only partially faded (not really translucent).
    Is it fixed now? I just changed some code but I don't have the ability to check it in IE10 right now.

No, it isn't fixed. And when I tried to click on the link to this thread from the homepage, I got a message about long-running script. When I clicked stop script, the page opened.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Did you change the font? It looks different at work today.....if so, not a fan of the choice. It seems blocky to me.

Me, i go straight to the forums most of the time. The new front page seems pretty cluttered on the iPad, frankly. The scrunched up forums section on the right just isn't that nice, imo. The old was much easier to read/see/find.

Don't get me wrong, I love that you guys have this site up and running, and maybe I'll get used to the changes.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    No, it isn't fixed. And when I tried to click on the link to this thread from the homepage, I got a message about long-running script. When I clicked stop script, the page opened.
    Strange. I'll have to troubleshoot it more in-depth when I can get a copy of IE10 in front of me. I did an online screentest using IE10 and it rendered correctly.

Bah, I hate IE so much. It keeps getting better but it was so far behind every other browser on the market that despite its improvements, it's still behind what everybody else is doing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Did you change the font? It looks different at work today.....if so, not a fan of the choice. It seems blocky to me.

Me, i go straight to the forums most of the time. The new front page seems pretty cluttered on the iPad, frankly. The scrunched up forums section on the right just isn't that nice, imo. The old was much easier to read/see/find.
    The only difference in body font should be that it is now a few points larger in size. I did change some title fonts, though.j

Not to be defensive about it but oh man, I disagree about iPad viewing. I tested this new skin extensively on the iPad with the purpose of making it much more tablet friendly, as tablets are about 10% of our viewing audience now. Bigger fonts, eliminating the side scrolling advert, larger sections, etc. IMO, it's a thousand times cleaner and easier to use on a tablet.

But to each their own, I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast