Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Berardino: Twins nurturing, grooming young Buxton

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Twins nurturing, grooming young Buxton

Minnesota Twins grooming, nurturing young prospect Byron Buxton - TwinCities.com

The Pioneer Press scribe penned a nice article on Twins top 2012 pick Byron Buxton. There are comparisons to Torii Hunter and to Andrew McCutcheon. Find out what he spent some of his $6-million bonus on? Does he miss playing football, a sport he was incredibly good at. What former professional athlete is his cousin? Very nice article!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    This kid is going to be special. Very few kids have his talent. Even fewer have his work ethics.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the article and love Buxton's back story and his attitude.

It's a good sign that he's expected to play at Cedar Rapids.

Expected to open his first full pro season at Class A Cedar Rapids . . . .

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    It's a good sign that he's expected to play at Cedar Rapids.
    I thought so, too. The average batter age in A ball is 21.5. Thought he'd spend a year in Rookie ball.
    They must feel he has the makeup to be pushed. Cool.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd hope Cedar Rapids is his landing spot. It's not a race or anything but a good half dozen or so high schoolers already tasted A ball last year. It's not exactly an excellerated push by putting the #2 overall pick in the Midwest League his second season as a pro.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's possibly a benefit of the new CBA's accelerated signing date. Maybe Buxton's one of those guys who would have signed quickly anyway and gotten a short-season in after signing, but you never know. It's just as possible that he would have gotten half the PAs in (or less) than he did and we'd be looking at extended spring training almost for sure.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    I hope Buxton will be there, I want to see him when we put our little trip together.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good article and a great insight into the kind of character the Twins drafted last year. Both he and Berrios are *really* impressive in that regard.

I just spent the past week down in Ft. Myers and watched quite a few practices and minor league games. I saw Byron hit a triple to the left field gap. He was passing second base
    when the center fielder was picking up the ball. He cruised into 3rd and could have just as well been standing up. He was flying. I also saw Byron strike out some also. Bear in mind that they were just starting to play games so he's still trying to get his timing down. I was told he hit a HR the day before (Monday the 11th) but I wasn't there. Byron definitely needs to fill out a little bit but he's still very young. Even though he needs to fill out, he still possesses above average power. He's a great kid. Everyone seemed to be watching Byron when he was up to bat including Mr. Ryan who was a regular out there standing between the fields every day.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I really like these updates, tellis. Thanks for sharing them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Buxton cut down a runner tagging from 3rd at the plate today with a good acurate throw on the fly. It's only one throw each, but it was alot stronger arm than I saw Wil Myers show yesterday.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I really like these updates, tellis. Thanks for sharing them.
    Agreed. Keep these great updates coming!