Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Reusse: Tale of Two Prospects (Arcia, Tonkin)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reusse: Tale of Two Prospects (Arcia, Tonkin)

Reality from Fort Myers: Tale of 2 Prospects - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

Patrick Reusse wrote about the frustration or disappointment of the Twins that they have not been able to see Oswaldo Arcia in spring training games so far due to his injury. It is likely he will be among the first cuts from the team early next week.

The other prospect he talked about was Michael Tonkin, the hard-throwing righty who split 2012 between Beloit and Ft. Myers. Regarding Tonkin, Reusse wrote:

Yet, there's another tall fellow - 6-foot-7 Michael Tonkin - who could be setting himself up for being a piece of the Twins' bullpen during the first half of the schedule.
    I'd be shocked if he was up with the Twins in the first half... maybe a September promotion? Maybe?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, the quote about him "not being in the best shape" is something I've missed on. Any elaboration on your end/things you've heard?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    Seth, the quote about him "not being in the best shape" is something I've missed on. Any elaboration on your end/things you've heard?
    I haven't heard that, but I've seen pictures and certainly doesn't seem to be out of shape by any means. he's a stocky, bulky guy though. He's not a slim, trim type.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia is build like Kubel so it is hard to tell what kind of shape he is in.

Photo of Arcia in ST 2013
    Photo of Arcia in ST 2012.

(photos not mine, thus the link). Not that different.

I cannot see Tonkin start the season in the Twin Cities, right after half a season with the Miracle. He needs some AA ball. Best case scenario for him would be to follow the Mijares path, start in New Britain and come up later in the season. Burnett made surprisingly after ST in 2010 when 22, but he had a half season of AA under him...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That comment about Arcia being out of shape bothered me, too. With all I think this kid could be I certainly hope he doesn't start taking things for granted.
    Tonkin has excellent SO/9 numbers, and he was 22 y/o in A+ ball. Of the 31 pitchers who appeared for the Fort Myers Miracles only one pitcher was listed as being 21 years old and none were younger. This could be a good sign.
    FanGraphs didn't mention him in their Twins Top 15.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Arcia is build like Kubel so it is hard to tell what kind of shape he is in.
    Thank you Thry - that comment really threw me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    His future weight projections have been mentioned as a possible downfall in many of the various write-ups done about Arcia. Surely it's something to keep an eye on, but perhaps the Twins are being proactive about the matter and making him understand the offseason can affect his body type more adversly than others.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like Tonkin. He throws hard and has size.