Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Is it time to worry about Morneau yet?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A double yesterday and his first spring home run since 2010 today -- apparently the reports of him being "close" and hitting the ball hard are legit. Good signs.

Not to mention the second home run today . . . .
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Guess you feel a little silly about posting this blog now.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess you feel a little silly about posting this blog now.
    I do not. The point of this post was to address the issue that was raised by fans/commenters/media members who were concerned over Morneau's spring numbers and performance. What I said was (1) it's a small sample size in the spring and (2) those that have been watching him this spring have been noting he had been hitting the ball better the past few games. Without having seen his performance first-hand, I did add that the reports were very similar to what was said in the final two weeks of spring training last year -- which were saying similar things about "hitting the ball hard" and needing to regain his timing. Hopefully, these past two days are an indication of things to come.

The extra base hits are definitely a good sign, but the concerns that existed before a double and two home runs are still worth considering. It's nothing to feel "silly" about. The Twins are certainly considering it as they appear to be ready to have him DH the beginning of the year. An article also said that just being physically tired can make him more vulnerable to recurring symptoms. I'd love to see him continue homering, but the up and down nature of his recovery so far leave me with measure optimism.

"Is it time to worry about Morneau yet?"
    Well, that's all a matter of one's expectations. If one enjoys watching a former MVP in the final throes of a career cut short by multiple injuries labor for a last-place team in order to maintain his contract, it will be a grand Summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12