Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings Offseason

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I really hope if one of those stud MLBs is at 23 that they hop all over that. That should be priority number one - receivers you can take later. Especially in this draft.
    I think if Austin is somehow available at 23 (he prob won't with the Rams having two picks) then I think you HAVE to take him, that kid has game changer written all over him.

But yeah, you def need a line backer with one of the picks as well, right now we have Greenway and nobody else I believe?

It sucks losing Winfield but I absolutely would rather have KWill at this point over him, we can find a quality CB in round 2 or 3 IMO. Or we can always sign a few more guys in free agency to fill some holes as well.

Now obviously this team has some holes to fill, but heading into 2013 I am much more enthusiastic then heading into 2012, if we can somehow repeat the 2012 draft success I think you are looking at a team that makes the playoffs again.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think if Austin is somehow available at 23 (he prob won't with the Rams having two picks) then I think you HAVE to take him, that kid has game changer written all over him.
    Some mocks have him going in the top 15....are you seeing him slide in any?

But yeah, you def need a line backer with one of the picks as well, right now we have Greenway and nobody else I believe?
    The resigned Erin Henderson as well. (Bleh) My dream scenario:

We draft: MLB Ogletree, WR Justin Hunter, NT John Jenkins,CB Honey Badger, WR Robert Woods, FS Bacarri Rambo. Try to beat that kind of blind optimism Dave! But boy would that make my day. Not totally impossible either.

Some mocks have him going in the top 15....are you seeing him slide in any?

The resigned Erin Henderson as well. (Bleh) My dream scenario:

We draft: MLB Ogletree, WR Justin Hunter, NT John Jenkins,CB Honey Badger, WR Robert Woods, FS Bacarri Rambo. Try to beat that kind of blind optimism Dave! But boy would that make my day. Not totally impossible either.
    They're going to have to trade up to get Honey Badger in the 2nd. Someone is going to take a flier on the guy.

I'd love that scenario by all means. I'm fairly certain though, if Manti is available, they're going to take him. Its just fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    They're going to have to trade up to get Honey Badger in the 2nd. Someone is going to take a flier on the guy.

I'd love that scenario by all means. I'm fairly certain though, if Manti is available, they're going to take him. Its just fate.
    Good god I hope not. I may actually break down and cry. Ponder would easily become my second least-favorite Viking.

I'm hearing most mocks put Honey Badger in the fourth....am I just reading the wrong ones or is steam building on him?

Good god I hope not. I may actually break down and cry. Ponder would easily become my second least-favorite Viking.

I'm hearing most mocks put Honey Badger in the fourth....am I just reading the wrong ones or is steam building on him?
    Nobody is going to take Honey Badger in the 2nd, even without the long list of personal issues he was never viewed a first round talent in the first place.

I could see a team like the Raiders (why not) taking a chance on him in the 3rd round because they are stupid, but he would still be around in the late 3rd more than likely or early 4th.

I don't know what to think about Te'o, if he actually is gay and was nervous about coming out, I have no issue taking him and I think you get great value, if he is just a weirdo who makes up gf's and ****, yeah pass.

Either way I prob don't want him with a first round pick, maybe if he is sitting in the middle of round 2 then you think about trading up?

Lev, on the Austin thing, yeah I have seen a lot of chatter about him going around 15-16, hypothetically would you trade a 1 and 3(next years?) to move up a few spots to grab him if he is still around?

I think you have to think long and hard about it, especially if it was the extra pick in the Harvin trade, the kid was amazing in college (watch the OU game where he had 400+ yards) and apparently killed it at the combine (I don't follow that at all though)

2 first rounds to move up for him? no.
    1st round and a 3rd round? Yeah, I think you take the chance!

Nobody is going to take Honey Badger in the 2nd, even without the long list of personal issues he was never viewed a first round talent in the first place.
    I think before the whole drug fiasco he was considered a top 10 talent. Granted, that was almost two years ago. That's why I'm thinking you could snag him with a third, but who knows.

Either way I prob don't want him with a first round pick, maybe if he is sitting in the middle of round 2 then you think about trading up?
    Who are you referring to? Te'o? I wouldn't draft him with a seventh.

Lev, on the Austin thing, yeah I have seen a lot of chatter about him going around 15-16, hypothetically would you trade a 1 and 3(next years?) to move up a few spots to grab him if he is still around?
    I don't know if I deal up for a guy his size. I do think he could be a game breaker, but I think I worry about how often he's going to be useful and functional for this team. Percy was small, but he was physical as all hell for his size. I'm not sure he's the right fit for us at this point. I'd much rather have a big possession receiver and go for that small, scat-back/WR type later in the draft. Maybe Ace Sanders from SC or Josh Boyce from TCU instead?

Never? Are you ****ing kidding me? He was the best defensive player in the NCAA as a sophmore, and was an elite return guy. Just cuz he's not an OSU alum Dave.....

The draft rubes are saying someone is going to take a flier on him in the 2nd. I've heard a couple comparisons to Ahmad Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Never? Are you ****ing kidding me? He was the best defensive player in the NCAA as a sophmore, and was an elite return guy. Just cuz he's not an OSU alum Dave.....

The draft rubes are saying someone is going to take a flier on him in the 2nd. I've heard a couple comparisons to Ahmad Brooks.
    Tommie Fraiser was also the best offensive player in NCAA his junior year but that didn't make him a 1st round talent. Mathieu is a dynamic player, but the fact is he always lacked the size to be a true "1st round talent" and if he was it was boarderline, sure he will be a very good PR or KR but teams don't draft those guys in the first round typically (unless they are the Radiers) also the rest of his combine numbers were more on the "meh to bad" side of things then the "he blew us away!" parts. Again I am not a huge combine guy, but the fact that he had the least reps of ANYONE on the bench press is pretty telling that he A. Isn't strong/big enough for the NFL game or B. Just a lazy sack of ****/the next Pac Man jones.

FWIW: I think there is nothing wrong with smoking weed....at all. But you are a damn fool if you manage to screw up that many times with that many millions on the line.

I think before the whole drug fiasco he was considered a top 10 talent. Granted, that was almost two years ago. That's why I'm thinking you could snag him with a third, but who knows.
    See my comment above about him, don't get me wrong I would be perfectly happoy with taking him in the third, because at the very least you have a game changer returning punts etc and at the best you could have a decent CB as well who could make some plays/get people pumped. But no way do I think he was ever a "legit" top ten talent, I think the hype machine made him to be out more than he was. If he was a legit top ten talent you would see him picked in the first round this year. (see: Randy Moss etc)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    The Honey Badger is a 3rd or 4th round pick....he is a great returner, and mediocre coverage guy. He's basically Devin Hester, I think. Given the depth of this draft, he's likely a 3rd rounder or 4th rounder.

Unfortunately, the Vikes are right up against the cap, now. I think if they draft every pick they currently have, and pay them, they would actually be over the cap......so we are unlikely to see much in FA the rest of the way unless KWill or Allen re-do their deals.

Assuming no trades, I'd like to see Arthur Brown, Keenan Allen, Kwann Short as the first three picks. I'd be ok if Brown was replaced with a CB in that scenario.
    Lighten up Francis....

Why on earth did they resign Jerome Simpson could have used that money somewhere else. Good point on the cap "space" or lack thereof.

But no way do I think he was ever a "legit" top ten talent, I think the hype machine made him to be out more than he was. If he was a legit top ten talent you would see him picked in the first round this year. (see: Randy Moss etc)
    Well, that's your opinion Dave, but in 2011 there was a lot of talk about him being a 2012 top ten pick. There is a lot of talent there, I'd love to gamble on that in the third.

I hear a lot of Arthur Brown talk.....what's the lowdown on him mike?

I would take a flier on Urlacher for the trolling aspects alone.

Senior Member MVP
    Arthur Brown is fast, and can probably cover the TE/RB much better than any LBer they vikes have had for a long time......he supposedly tackles well also. He's a 3 down LBer, from what little I've read so far on him. They really like a legit 3rd down LBer, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems there's a general consensus on what we need, which is at least a start.

As long as they get a WR early and 2 of 3 from ILB, DB, DT before the end of the 2nd rd, I'll be happy.

Some pretty decent DBs and ILBs still on the free agent market that I would mind seeing come in either.

Senior Member MVP
    I think they are about what they were last year, 8-8, plus or minus 2 games.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    I don't know, that schedule looks tough. Which games do you think they can win?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    I don't know, that schedule looks tough. Which games do you think they can win?
    I think they can sweep the division at home. (4 wins)
    I think they beat Det on the road and Chicago on the road (2 wins)
    Eagles, Redskins, Browns at home should/could all be wins and the Vikes would be favored in all.
    The Pittsburgh game is 50/50 since its in London.

@Bengals and @Cowboys are winnable games.

@Ravens looks tough on paper, but honestly I see the Ravens as a 7 win team this year.

@GB and @NYG are almost sure losses.

So basically I see 7 or so games they most certainly should win (obviously there might be an upset in there) another 6 that are 50/50 or close at least. 2 sure loses and one upset special (@Bal)

With that said I could see them winning anything between 9 wins and 11 next year. If things break all the way they could sniff 12 wins and if they get some bad luck you are looking at 8 wins.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast