Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mackey: Glimpse of future Twins starting rotation

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mackey: Glimpse of future Twins starting rotation

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...rotation022413

Phil Mackey got to Ft. Myers in time to watch the Twins inter-squad game on Sunday morning. He was able to see Alex Meyer, Trevor May, BJ Hermsen and JO Berrios. The article has lots about the young Twins pitchers. The page also shows video of Alex Meyer pitching to Danny Santana.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Can't see much from the video but the ball gets in there quick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Two years for Barrios to reach the majors? I like the optimism but I have a hard time believing the Twins would promote a 20-year-old pitcher to the 25-man roster. No matter what his numbers are, I'd be surprised if he gets out of the Midwest League this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that 'two years' comment caught my attention, too.
    I'm all for having him appear with the Twins as soon as he's ready, but 2016 or 2017 I suspect is a more realistic expectation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'd probably have to Maintain an ERA around 2.50 or better with lots of K's and few walks if he is to move that fast. Possible, but not likely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    May, Meyer, Barios plus Gibson and Worley. Is everyone's mouth watering? That's got to be the best Twins rotation - EVER - if they all live up to the hype (and I hope they do!)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    May, Meyer, Barios plus Gibson and Worley. Is everyone's mouth watering? That's got to be the best Twins rotation - EVER - if they all live up to the hype (and I hope they do!)
    Yes. And I know that it's foolish to get over-hyped--the odds are that not all of them will pan out--but imagine if you include the #4 pick in the 2013 draft in there, assuming it's a pitcher. Appel or Manaea would fit in there nicely.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but between 2006 and 2008, BA had Liriano ranked 6th, Garza 21st, Glen Perkins 66th, Slowey ranked 71st, and Blackburn ranked 56th. I think their rankings are better these days because they seem to value strikeout potential much more than in the past, and the young Twins arms have that ability, but it gets dangerous to pin all our hope on that much unproven talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    While I agree that we shouldn't crown this group the best twins starting staff ever, this is a great group of arms. I would argue that it is more talented than the 2006-2008 group you listed. Heck, even if this group turns out like the 2006-2008 group would it be so bad? Ace starter who gets derailed by injuries, a solid #2, two back end starters, and a great bull pen arm ain't bad. Actually..... That sounds like a very reasonable outcome.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a very nice group of arms.. stastically speaking though, half of them will not make it. It would be nice for luck to be on our side for a change and see all of them hit their ceilings, but odds are good when they are ready, we will still want pitching.

TINSTAAPP

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but between 2006 and 2008, BA had Liriano ranked 6th, Garza 21st, Glen Perkins 66th, Slowey ranked 71st, and Blackburn ranked 56th. I think their rankings are better these days because they seem to value strikeout potential much more than in the past, and the young Twins arms have that ability, but it gets dangerous to pin all our hope on that much unproven talent.
    Well what should we pin our hope on? The Twins using free agency to get better?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Well what should we pin our hope on? The Twins using free agency to get better?
    He's just expecting a dose of reality. Perkins turned out OK as a relief pitcher even though for a while he was the worst of the bunch. Garza has been pretty decent too, but injury killed Slowey and Liriano... and then there's Blackburn...

It's the injury that really bites. I'm pretty convinced that we'd have different opionions of both Slowey and Liriano had they never gotten hurt.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only reason the Twins obtained Liarano in the deal was because of arm issues. He had already been shut down once for the Giants. You can always hope there will not be injuries, but more pitchers seem to have them these days.